I've had Blackberry phones of varying models for about two years now and have been - for the most part - very pleased with the two models I've had. I had the 8820 (AT&T) first and recently upgraded to the 9550/Storm 2 (Verizon).

Things I've appreciated on the Storm 2:

SurePress
    I read review after review on the original Storm and later, the Storm 2. The reviews on the original were discouraging, to say the least. Additionally, my friends' comments convinced me that it probably hadn't been ironed out to an extent that would satisfy me. With the Storm 2, the tone changed dramatically. The move from one sensor to multiple sensors (four, I think) apparently made all the difference.

What is so appealing about SurePress? For me, its the middle-of-the-road path between a full QWERTY and the iPhone. I like feeling the push of a button when I am typing and this meets that need perfectly. I type faster on my Storm 2 than I did on the 8820 - and I was no slacker there either.

OS 5.0
    I'll be frank: this is the second time I've bought a Blackberry that has missed the mark for the next OS by just a tiny bit. I'm disappointed that I won't get OS 6 on the Storm 2. But there you go.

That said, OS 5.0 is a great upgrade from 4.5. I see the hourglass once a day.... and that's while its processing the reset command from QuickLaunch (thank you Nikkisoft!).

OS 5.0 features that I was happily surprised at:
    • Big buttons for the fat-fingered among us (Windows Mobile, I'm looking at you)
    • Short click-path for messaging
    • Application management (particularly in being able choose between add-ons & 3rd party)
    • Search - I only discovered this recently, but this is such a great tool that I don't know how I lived without it before! Good work RIM.

Hardware improvements
    I wish that Blackberry would move into the modern world at go to the 'giga' in both speed and RAM. However, the processor speed and upgraded RAM are still a joy. My poor 8820 was so under-equipped in the way of memory that it was embarrassing. Unlike the 8820, I can install programs on the 9550 with no fear that I'll make it unusable. And while the processor isn't the 1ghz speed demon I'd hope for, I still find it speedy. Not sure how RIM squeezes such reliable experience out of older hardware, but the important thing for me is at the end of the day, it just plain works.

I won't say the Storm 2 is the perfect Blackberry, but its a great phone and a wonderful pda. Assuming RIM continues to evolve, I expect to be with them for the foreseeable future.

I'd be interested in hearing what you like about the Storm 2 and what features (or add-ons!) you particularly enjoy.

- Fr. Maurer
    08-09-10 07:54 PM
    The only good thing about blackberries is that i don't own one anymore. Get an android.
    08-09-10 08:15 PM
    Things I've appreciated on the Storm 2:

SurePress
    I read review after review on the original Storm and later, the Storm 2. The reviews on the original were discouraging, to say the least. Additionally, my friends' comments convinced me that it probably hadn't been ironed out to an extent that would satisfy me. With the Storm 2, the tone changed dramatically. The move from one sensor to multiple sensors (four, I think) apparently made all the difference.

What is so appealing about SurePress? For me, its the middle-of-the-road path between a full QWERTY and the iPhone. I like feeling the push of a button when I am typing and this meets that need perfectly. I type faster on my Storm 2 than I did on the 8820 - and I was no slacker there either.

Hardware improvements
    I wish that Blackberry would move into the modern world at go to the 'giga' in both speed and RAM. However, the processor speed and upgraded RAM are still a joy... And while the processor isn't the 1ghz speed demon I'd hope for, I still find it speedy. Not sure how RIM squeezes such reliable experience out of older hardware, but the important thing for me is at the end of the day, it just plain works.

I won't say the Storm 2 is the perfect Blackberry, but its a great phone and a wonderful pda. Assuming RIM continues to evolve, I expect to be with them for the foreseeable future.
    - Fr. Maurer
    I agree with your assessment completely...it is a great phone and PDA. I do hope that RIM will step up the next generation with mucho ram and a fast processor. From what I read they will probably discontinue SurePress which really upsets me. I hate the typing on a "proper touchscreen," as Kevin puts it; I like the tactical feedback of pressing on the screen, rather than "tapping" on a solid surface.
    08-09-10 08:28 PM
    Where do I start? Hmmm well I started with the Storm 1 and moved to the Storm 2 about 5 months ago. This is my 7th blackberry and to be honest I rate it as the best yet, for me that is.

Surepress is the first thing that jumped out at me when first moving to the Storm line, that in my idea is an amazing feature that no other mobile company has even attempted to replicate. The feel is that of you pressing a button but yet on a flat screen blows my mind (anyone can make a basic touch screen) RIM went above and beyond there, with the button size as well it makes typing long email/text or forum posts a breeze for my digits.

Screen size is the next thing that comes to mind when thinking about my S2 large enough for me to enjoy a movie here and there and vivid enough that I don't need to zoom to look at certain sites. Mind you its no droid X or iphone 4 but she gets the job done. I have a ton of friends that have 9700 ,pearls & curves, after messing with the Storm line I can't go back to thoes.....

customization, customization,customization! Now that's not just the S2 but all blackberries. I don't feel like I "have" to get certain apps from one source or my music from another. I can use many different ringtones if I desire and that's for individual contacts should I choose, profile customization for all types of situations is nice!

Honestly I can go on and on but those are the ones that I call top shelf. I have looked at many other phones over the past few months but nothing has really swayed me enough to think of not having my Storm on my hip idk guess I'm a "fanboy" but whatever. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 08:32 PM
    I'm not even that upset that the S2 isn't getting OS6. The S2 is a pretty sweet phone. For texting, BBM, and the few apps that I find are necessary for me it works perfect. If you want to watch a lot of movies on your phone get another phone. There are other phones that do that better.
    08-09-10 09:21 PM
    I'm pretty happy with mine also- the apps are kind of lacking, but I can type fast as **** with SurePress. Faster than on an iPhone or Droid with just haptic feedback.

Apps aside, you can't find a better email/messaging phone with as big of a screen.
    08-09-10 09:26 PM
    The only good thing about blackberries is that i don't own one anymore. Get an android.
    why are you still here? seriously..
    08-09-10 09:28 PM
    why are you still here? seriously..
    I'm trying to help you guys out. uh duuuh
    08-09-10 10:06 PM
    I'm trying to help you guys out. uh duuuh
    Earth to kwickpick: none of us here need your "help". what we would like is for you to go troll elsewhere. If you own a Chevy, go troll the Ford boards.
    08-09-10 10:39 PM
    The main reason that I got a BlackBerry was for the BIS and Email, I don't need a gadget phone like a Android because they are for people who like to play with their phones the whole day.

My first BlackBerry was a 9700 and I got my 9520 about four months later because I love the bigger screen. The Surepress screen got me hooked for sure, it kinda makes me wonder why all manufacturers are not using it.

I was a Windows Mobile user before coming to BlackBerry, loved how I could customise my phone by building my own ROMS, but I soon realised that my BlackBerry can do so much more - custom themes, Hybrid OS, great apps, free email and web browsing to name a few.

I will definitely be staying with BlackBerry because I need a business phone and not a toy.

08-09-10 10:51 PM
    ...Surepress is the first thing that jumped out at me when first moving to the Storm line, that in my idea is an amazing feature that no other mobile company has even attempted to replicate. The feel is that of you pressing a button but yet on a flat screen blows my mind (anyone can make a basic touch screen) RIM went above and beyond there, with the button size as well it makes typing long email/text or forum posts a breeze for my digits...
    Surepress is a superb feature, unique to the BB Storm series. Everyone who tries my Storm loves the Surepress.
    RIM really needs to promote this more.
    08-09-10 11:37 PM
    Hello all! New to the Storm 2 family.

I've been contemplating on owning a Storm since it first came out and finally pulled the trigger after seeing the improvements in Storm 2.

My previous phones were

Ericsson T68

Samsung Epix

Blackberry Bold

Notice there is no APPLE products in my history.......

2 Reasons for the Storm 2:

This smartphone is just so damn Sexy!

Second, I'm a big fan of underrated, and subtle technology. Same reason why I prefer the new generation of Acura luxury sports sedans over Big and Bulky BMW's.

The Surepress Touch screen with Peizo Technology on the Storm 2 is so subtle yet extremely sophisticated. There is no other smartphone with that technology.

But basically, the Peizo Technology in the Storm 2 Surepress creates an electrical charge (feedback + click) from the applied mechanical force on the screen surface.

The first Gen Storm just used sensors and did not utilize Peizo Technology.

Storm 2 is the ONLY phone I can actually type on due to the feedback that the touch screen with Peizo technology provides.

Can't type on the iPhone for the life of me so I'll never purchase one, and the whole iPhone theme is just too juvenile IMO.
    Last edited by djmixmac; 08-10-10 at 10:58 PM.
    08-10-10 12:02 AM
    You are all in denial. It's pathetic.
    08-10-10 07:49 AM
    I love surepress as well. Why is RIM ditching surepress for the storm3? Seems like all the s2 owners love it.

08-10-10 08:01 AM
    Keep it up and you will find the door very quickly.
    08-10-10 08:04 AM
    It come down to this for me:
    It is a BlackBerry with a large screen. Nothing more needs to be said but...

The Surepress is so sweet I don't know what I would do if RIM drops it.

BlackBerrys are about people communicating. No other product has such a LASER like focus on that task. The Storm series is the pinnacle of that core need for humans. Lots of other phones can do the PDA stuff the S2 is great at but, few [none?] can hook into our interpersonal communications stream as well.

I pity those who think their phone is only good if it looks all shiny with happy colors. Or forces them to spend all day using a Web browser because the other capabilities are so lacking. The sophisticated S2 user knows Web browsing is a last resort not the first. The tools are available for the S2 to avoid Web browsing because it will never be great on a small screen.

Talk to people and the Storm 2 will help you.
    Nicely put, couldn't agree more.
    08-10-10 08:14 AM
    We know it would probably be very hard for you, but please try to behave like a civilised and educated adult.

08-10-10 08:22 AM
    I will admit, I am a little disappointed that the s2 is not getting os6, but I still love this phone. My hope is that RIM continues to try and perfect and add new features to os5, so we can continue loving bb like we all do. I know it has been discussed to death, but it would be nice to see webkit browser some how implemented into 5.0. I know people say it is big part of os6, why can't it be a big part of os5??
    Thanks for listening
    08-10-10 09:18 AM

I'd be interested in hearing what you like about the Storm 2 and what features (or add-ons!) you particularly enjoy.

- Fr. Maurer
    I agree with all that has been nicely said on this thread. It is a relief to hear good things about the phone that I love [Stop the snickering! You all love yours just as much].

While it's not perfect, it is better than anything else I have tried.

I only wish those who do like this phone would speak more of its good virtues rather than its, or its maker's, failings.

I didn't want the phone for flashyness, or because every other "i"diot has one. I got it for all the things that RIM does well. While I dont use it for business all that often, it is the business-like applications that i do use just to make my life easier.

Thank you, again, for the positive thread.
    08-10-10 09:37 AM
    Keep it up and you will find the door very quickly.
    08-10-10 09:55 AM
    It's nice to see the mods have gotten your attention.
    08-10-10 10:02 AM
    It's nice to see the mods have gotten your attention.
    Yea as if.
    08-10-10 10:24 AM
    Yea as if.
    Big talker.
    08-10-10 10:28 AM
    Stop responding to him, please. Let him dig his own grave.
    08-10-10 10:46 AM
    Stop responding to him, please. Let him dig his own grave.
    If he responded, I had planned to write,"Stick a fork in me--I am SO done with you". then I planned on never wasting another moment of my retirement on him. "DFTT" applies here. sometimes I temporarily lack total self-control. <g>
    08-10-10 10:57 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD