Hey guys I am new to the whole smart phone / blackberry thing so forgive me if this has been covered as I did search first.

Anyways i work in a hospital and have little to no coverage at all now some of the other guys that I work with use alltell, sprint and some of the others and they all have great service pretty much wherever they are and I do know that sprint has "boosters" through out the hospital as that is the provider for there phone service. Is there anything besides turning off the world mode I can do to get better service.

Thanks Tom
    02-26-09 07:58 PM
    unfortunately no, if they're not putting boosters for Verizon in for you. Hospitals have alot of shielding for things like radiation. My friends all have the same issues. Could just be that the other carriers have a tower closer to the hospital than vzw, or in the case of sprint, the booster is helping.

Vzw recently bought alltel, so unless you're in divested market, you may be able to use the alltel tower soon.
    02-26-09 08:42 PM
    it's technically a repeater, or could be a device called a femtocell.

repeater takes a signal and rebroadcasts it at a higher power than your phone can. so that tower that you only got one bar from, your signal was rebroadcast so that that tower can pick you up.

A femtocel (network extender) connects to a broadband connection and takes you call. It routes it over the internet to VZW, rahter than going through a tower and switch to the MSC.
    02-26-09 08:48 PM
    unfortunately no, if they're not putting boosters for Verizon in for you. Hospitals have alot of shielding for things like radiation. My friends all have the same issues. Could just be that the other carriers have a tower closer to the hospital than vzw, or in the case of sprint, the booster is helping.

Vzw recently bought alltel, so unless you're in divested market, you may be able to use the alltel tower soon.

So basically the storm doesnt do any type of roaming to pick up other providers cell towers??? I know that with my old cell phone i would do the *228 when i would change cities/states and it would pick up alltells network.
    02-27-09 03:52 AM
    that is up to the providers. remember, vzw removed domestic roaming from their plans 2 years ago. they improved roaming agreements with alot of carriers, but also eliminated them from others. refer to my alltel comment though as well.
    02-27-09 12:01 PM
    that is up to the providers. remember, vzw removed domestic roaming from their plans 2 years ago. they improved roaming agreements with alot of carriers, but also eliminated them from others. refer to my alltel comment though as well.
    As far as the alltell thing goes, that has been within the last 6 months prior to me buying the storm I had a alias and there was a dead spot in the garage i worked at and everytime i would try the *228 it would pick up alltells towers and not allow me to update but i would still have a decent signal, so i just wasnt sure if there was some settings in the menu that needed to be changed as I did come across a setting to change the network to 3g or 2g.
    03-01-09 11:32 AM
    well if you're in a non divested market, you'll be able to use that alltel tower by the end of this year.
    03-01-09 01:52 PM
    I live in Toledo,Ohio and work in Detroit,Mi I m sure that Detroit would be on the majors list not real sure about Toledo though. I usually update when I get to work and then update again when i get home do you see any need for this they are about 60 miles apart.
    03-01-09 02:09 PM
    i have alright service
    03-01-09 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD