I dropped my Storm today and scratched it up pretty good (along the top and both corners on the left side), gouging the metal in some places. It seems that the phone still works fine - thank goodness the screen was untouched.

I have insurance on the phone from Best Buy. I know, I know. Bad. I didn�t realize that until I read the forums here later and now it�s too late (I�ve had the phone a month). Up to this point, I have not had any problems with the phone (running .75).

Here�s my question:

Would you get the phone replaced since insurance should cover this even though there is a chance that the replacement phone could be a buggy one?

Or would you suck it up, buy a damn case already, and get on with life with a scratched up Storm?

(I just ordered an Innocase but it is still in transit, so please no flames about not having it in a case.)
    01-08-09 02:05 PM
    Sadly, I would get a new one. I dropped my 1st one which caused a hairline crack in the screen (Note to self: brick and glass do not go well together). It was only visible to people if I pointed it out. The problem was that I knew it was there. Made my insurance claim the next day. Even with a case on, you are always going to know the damage is there.
    01-08-09 02:08 PM
    isnt there a limit on claims now a days?

like if you use it for this, can you use it next week if it you lose it?
    01-08-09 02:14 PM
    My brother dropped his and scratched the top, he made up an excuse and took it to a vzw store and got a new one.

Also, I got a new one too for a screen clicking issue today. I'm passed my 30 days, but my reciept says I can return/exchange up to the 15th of Jan., the guy said that only counted if I wanted a different phone, but then he gave me a new one anyway.
    01-08-09 02:20 PM
    I would definitely get a new phone. I was reading one of the forums and you could just buy the replacement parts for it. It is fairly cheap. They even had a 2 min video to show you how to take it apart.
    01-08-09 02:24 PM
    i don't think parts are out yet for the storm.
    01-08-09 03:41 PM
    parts for the Storm are already available. There is a forum that I came across yesterday for parts. Just do a search.
    01-08-09 03:43 PM
    01-08-09 03:45 PM
    I'd get a new one. That's why we get insurance ... you may as well use it.

Plus, you may be able to get parts, but knowing me I would screw it up even more trying to fix it myself...
    01-08-09 03:51 PM
    isn't this the entire reason you pay for insurance in the first place? Replacement.
    01-08-09 04:51 PM
    Is the replacement 50 for BB? If so just buy the case, you may need the insurance for other problems.
    01-08-09 05:18 PM
    The insurance carries a $50 deductible. They also limit you two two claims, i think per year. Like moedude05 said... what if it gets stolen, then you drop the new one in a toilet or something? far fetched, i know, but maybe you should save the insurance for when you really need it?
    01-08-09 05:39 PM
    I've been paying Verizon Insurance premiums for over 10 years and made one claim in all that time. If I drop my Storm and cause anything more than a little scratch, I'm sending it back. I need to recoup some of this money I've been paying them.

Grey
    01-08-09 06:14 PM
    I would save the insurance for something more serious. You could get a new one and even if it were perfect you could just end up dropping it again and maybe not be as lucky next time. Paying the deductible over scratches seems like a waste to me since it's probably going to happen again anyway. You should see my old Samsung flip phone...it looks like it spent a year in Iraq, but it still works perfectly! Dings and scrapes are extra character!
    01-08-09 06:53 PM
    Do you pick your women based on looks or personality? Ask yourself that and you'll know what the right answer is. And remember, you can trade her in every two years!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 07:58 PM
    Well, Sharkz, your litmus test sounds good, but unfortunately doesn't work in this case since I am a woman.

So, I'll treat it like I would treat a man. Get the case and dress up the phone, covering up the flaws. If it still drives me nuts, time to trade it

In the meantime, I will definitely be checking to see what kind of limits are included in my insurance. Thanks everyone.
    01-08-09 08:11 PM
    LOL! Well then, if you're in a community property state like me, take that first Storm for all its got, then dump it. You'll then get a new Storm at no cost and you'll get half your money back on the one you took advantage of!

J/K!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 08:44 PM
    Why would you not use your insurance?
    01-08-09 08:52 PM
    "Suck it up, buy a damn case already, and get on with life with a scratched up Storm". You won't see the scratches with the case.

If your Storm works well, without any issues and you've been happy...don't use up one of only two insurance claims you have.
    01-08-09 09:02 PM
    There is a good chance that your replacement phone could have one or more of the following hardware issues with it. So it might be wise to wait a few weeks to see if RIM starts improving there QC.
    1- Screen click issue
    2- Dust under screen
    3- Light leakage around screen and buttons
    4- Buttons falling off
    5- Wobbly or loose screen
    01-08-09 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD