OK i have gotten into podcasts quite a bit, specifically crackberry's, engadget mobiles new one, and the round robin ones are cool.

So for the first time the lack of wifi is bothering me. I wish i could sync the thing using wifi or something, so i can download my podcasts.

The really WEIRD thing is that RIM went out of there way to make a cool podcast interface in the storms browser. When you go to download a crackberry podcast you get this cool list of all of them, you can select one and view the details, select an option to download it, etc. but the kicker, the cosmic breakdown, you cant actually download podcasts! Yeah ********, i just dont get it. The stupid "content too large" error pops up. AH FRAK! as kevin would say.

So i complained, and some people mentioned to use Opera mini. well, go ahead and try to download a podcast using it. for one the interface is horid due to the lack of click screen compatibility. but even when you do get it, it downloads 1kb and says done, or it just errors. never been able to download one.

Someone please help. I just want to be able to listen to my podcasts and the whole "go to site, find latest podcast, check to see if i already downloaded it, download it if not, check and see if its already on the device, find the device cable, connect it, transfer it" its crazy especially for many podcasts.

So i need some help. Viigo says it does podcasts. So is this gonna be like the storm where it shows me the podcasts that are available but wont let me download them? Or will viigo actually let me download the crackberry podcast OTA?

If not, what else can i do? Id rather not buy something, i was gonna buy viigo anyways, so if it works that would be cool.

thanks.
    12-28-08 12:26 AM
    I agree with you about the UI of the Storms Browser and podcasts. Yes right now Opera Mini is not fully functional at the moment on the Storm and neither is Viigo. Viigo hasn't even released a beta that has a working podcast channel on it yet and the Storm (build 3.0.710) doesn't offer some of the same functionallity as other builds (ie crackberry and craigslist channel) so that's a no go. The only thing I've found so far that works it PodTrapper. You can get it right here Podtrapper OTA download or in the ShopCrackBerry.com Software Store. It comes with a 30 day trial and is only 9.99 to buy which is a good deal IMO. Hope this helps you out.
    12-28-08 01:23 AM
    rwilliams38, thanks for the info. I will check podtrapper out.

So you have seen the storms browser UI for podcasts? Your the first i have found who even knew what i was talking about. The funny thing is they clearly went out of their way to make it nice and pretty, but did they think we would only download 1mb podcasts? lol? cause thats about as big of a file you can download in the blackberry browser. maybe 3mb. so unless your listening to podcasts that are 3-5 minutes, its worthless!

thanks for the info about viigo. so your saying viigo doesnt support podcast ota download at all? or just the storm beta doesnt?
    12-28-08 03:50 AM
    care to explain or show me how to access the podcast interface for the browser
    12-28-08 05:44 AM
    If you have a small amount of patience, opera mini will download podcasts.
    I'm also waiting for the viigo module to get activated, which has been promised "soon".
    12-28-08 06:23 AM
    I'm also waiting for the viigo module to get activated, which has been promised "soon".
    Don't hold you breath ... been months since they promised soon!
    12-28-08 06:42 AM
    If I had to guess I don't think what you saw was ment to be a podcast interface but rather a side effect of the built in RSS headline reader. The browser can aggregate the headlines but unlike a normal reader it takes you to the full web page to read an article. There is some limit on the size allowed of any one downloadable file. Podtrapper gets around this by downloading the file in smaller chunks. I bought the program and like it a lot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by tnt118; 12-28-08 at 09:55 AM.
    12-28-08 07:32 AM
    Just wanted to lend my support for podtrapper. Developer seems very responsive. For ten bucks it is a steal. Let's you download huge files. My largest so far was 84 legs. Fwiw.

12-28-08 08:44 AM
    Above should say megs not legs... Dang auto correct.
    Last edited by blondarb; 12-28-08 at 08:48 AM.
    12-28-08 08:45 AM
    berrytunes.com Go to that via your berry and do the OTA. CrackBerry's podcast is preloaded into the favorites I believe.
    12-28-08 08:48 AM
    podcatcher is perfect. the developer has improved it 3 times in the last week. it automatically dowloads my seven podcasts with no fuss or intervention on my part. Some of my podcasts are daily and some are weekly. It automatically checks once an hour to see if there are any new podcasts. And when I am ready to listen to one or two of them they are magicly on my storm and ready to go. How cool is that?
    12-28-08 11:05 AM
    berrytunes.com Go to that via your berry and do the OTA. CrackBerry's podcast is preloaded into the favorites I believe.
    I have downloaded Berrytunes and when I select the Crackberry Podcast I get the following:

End tag does not match the start tag 'BR'

Any ideas?

Let me know via private message in case I forget to look back!!
    12-28-08 03:08 PM
    care to explain or show me how to access the podcast interface for the browser
    goto regular crackberry.com. find one of the podcasts. open the full story. this brings up the 3 options. selection the first option "Podcast RSS Feed" then it loads the rss reader (as mentioned above this is what it is) but when you select one of the podcasts, it shows the option to "download audio" (it even shows you the size of the podcast in mb. what else would that option be there for ?

perhaps rim realizes how ridiculous their 3mb download limit is ridiculous and theyr are working on upgrading their proxies? and this feature is there for once they get with the 21st century.

lol its so 1999 to only want to download 3mb files to your phone.
    12-28-08 04:24 PM
    If you have a small amount of patience, opera mini will download podcasts.
    people keep telling me that opea mini will work, but i just havent been able to pull it off. i have tried 10 different times in different areas, all evdo areas with full bars.

it always just sits there, downloads a 1kb file and says done, or just errors out someway.

i mean the download box says "file size: 30mb" but when i finally get it to save, it says done after 1kb. so its not like i am trying to download the wrong thing.
    12-28-08 04:26 PM
    thanks i was taking a look at it, its $25 which is a little pricey compared to the $10 podcast program.

can it stream any podcast? or does it have to be one in its database?

do you know? the description for it is not real clear on that one. it says you can add your own if its not in the favorites, but it refers to its "large selection of podcasts" making me wonder if you have to pick one from their large selection.
    12-28-08 04:27 PM
    i just checked out podtrapper and it says that it doesnt work with all sites cause not all sites support chunk download.

also it appears to not work 100% with the storm yet, it looks like he is working on it.

he implies on his site that some carriers dont have the 5mb download limit? is that true?

if so, is it possible verizon could upgrade their system so it allows downloads larger than 5mb on the storm?
    12-28-08 10:48 PM
    I use podtrapper and have no issues with 44Mb podcasts of TWIT, I bring them down OTA through verizon.

I don't think it streams though.

And as for the price... Isn't the crackberry app store running 20% off through the first?

12-28-08 11:10 PM
    so its $10 and then 20% off? i didnt know it was in the app store. the discount is only for the ota store, so it would ahve to be on there too.

are you having any issues with poptrapper on the storm? do you need ot have compat. mode on?
    12-29-08 12:54 AM
    i just checked out podtrapper and it says that it doesnt work with all sites cause not all sites support chunk download.

also it appears to not work 100% with the storm yet, it looks like he is working on it.

he implies on his site that some carriers dont have the 5mb download limit? is that true?

if so, is it possible verizon could upgrade their system so it allows downloads larger than 5mb on the storm?
    Its not Verizon its RIM. I used to download large files all the time with my 6700.

12-29-08 01:34 PM
    Its not Verizon its RIM. I used to download large files all the time with my 6700.

yeah but your 6700 wouldnt have been using verizon's blackberry proxy servers. I am saying verizons blackberry proxy servers/BIS servers may need to be upgraded.

somehting about BIS-A and BIS-B or something, i am trying to find out more.
    12-29-08 02:00 PM
    I'm currently running it on my storm thru vzw and have no problems even in 1X coverage. Make sure in the settings you switch off wifi and desktop and turn on celluar. Also make sure compatibility is turned off. I recommend you install the program do a battery pull then switch the settings. As far as the downloading file limit I haven't ran into any issues with. I also would like to know about the 20% off issue in the store.
    12-29-08 02:12 PM
    Podtrapper is try before you buy. Installs OTA. And No, it doesn't need to be in Compat Mode.

Here's link... PodTrapper Podcast Manager - Entertainment BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store

Yes... it's $10 - $2 (20%) = $8

All the apps in the CrackberryAppStore are 20% off till 1/1 11:59p.

Here are the details... Introducing CrackBerryAppStore.com... | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by EdwardK; 12-30-08 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added and answer I had missed.
    12-30-08 11:30 AM
    pod trapper looks awesome, i am installing it as soon as i do my wipe to upgrade to .85. this guy is really do an amazing job on the software.
    12-30-08 10:43 PM
    Berrytunes workes with any podcast. You just enter the URL that you want to stream. Problem is it streams. It does not download. So, if you're listening on a plane or somewhere with a bad signal, you're out of luck You want a program that downloads the podcasts to your device for these types of situations. Audiobay or Podtrapper seem to be the most popular.
    01-04-09 10:05 AM
    Is Pod Trapper still the app to get - or....? Just installed Viigo and still no Podcast's -
    01-26-09 06:13 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD