Hello Everyone ... I am new to this site, and I just got my Verizon BB Storm a couple of weeks ago. It was in pristine condition yesterday morning prior to my x-mas travel, but at the end of the trip, I noticed a very long scratch down the middle of my Storm touch screen. The only think I can think happened was that the TSA dropped it -- I saw one of them pull it out of my jacket pocket and put it into a smaller bin to send through again alone ... guess they've not seen the new model and wanted to recheck it. when I got the phone, it was screen-down in the bin; my guess is, they dropped it in hard, causing the scratch. Is there ANY suggestion on how to remove it or make it better? It is VERY noticeable when back-lit. Can anyone help? I'm going out today to get a screen protector -- I was going to get one this trip bc my brother had found the perfect one for me ... alas, it now comes a day to late. Can anyone help me?
    FYI -- I don't believe those Storm tests that I have seen on here -- this is a long scratch
    HELP!
    12-26-08 08:10 AM
    Did you ever take the factory screen protector off that came with the phone? It scratches pretty easy, but the glass screen itself does not scratch very easy. There's no way dropping it would have scratched the glass screen, it would had to been done deliberately.
    12-26-08 08:14 AM
    yeah, i took off the plastic thing that came with it ... i can tell bc there is still a small corner of it that i can't get off.
    i can only thing some underpaid gov't employee threw it down face first into the bin ... it def is scratched!
    any advice?
    12-26-08 08:17 AM
    Well if your positive that they caused it you could always open a claim against TSA but that'll be a pain the rear that will almost always get you nowhere. Worst case scenario, sign up for the insurance through Verizon then open a claim. You'll have to pay $50 for the replacement. I highly doubt Verizon will replace it without charging you due to neglect.
    12-26-08 08:21 AM
    I have the WPP Insurance at $4.99/month on my bill.
    I've never had cell insurance till this one ... ever used it? How does it work?
    12-26-08 08:23 AM
    I have it but to be honest I've never used it. I know you just call the Assurian (SP?) 800 number and have them open a claim. I'm not sure what the process entails but I'm sure it's not that much of a pain. I do know that there is a $50 fee and you can only use it twice a year.
    12-26-08 08:26 AM
    There is somthing wrong with the screen. The Storm comes with a "Scratch Proof Screen". I have done all sorts of stuff to the screen and never a blemish. Bring it back and get a new one!!! You should even need insurance if it is within the first 30 days!
    12-26-08 08:35 AM
    yeah, i took off the plastic thing that came with it ... i can tell bc there is still a small corner of it that i can't get off.
    i can only thing some underpaid gov't employee threw it down face first into the bin ... it def is scratched!
    any advice?

Vin, sorry about your misfortune my friend . . . I have read on several posts that Brasso is very good at getting scratches off of screens to where they are barely noticeable. If you search around a bit you will find the instructions. I do distinctly remember, "rub gently" (as is with anything you care about )
    12-26-08 08:43 AM
    Are you absolutely, positively, 100% sure you have the screen protector that comes with the phone removed? Reason I ask is because you say there is a little piece of it left on the corner. I'm pretty sure the protector that comes with the Storm is similar to the ones that you buy at VZW and they are a hard plastic sheet. I can't see being able to leave a piece of it when it is removed. My original phone and 1 NIB replacement each came with a soft protector that could be torn on top of the harder one that is not easily seen unless you look closely at the top or bottom edges.
    12-26-08 09:06 AM
    There is somthing wrong with the screen. The Storm comes with a "Scratch Proof Screen". I have done all sorts of stuff to the screen and never a blemish. Bring it back and get a new one!!! You should even need insurance if it is within the first 30 days!
    nothing is scratch proof my friend.

The screen is glass and that may be next to impossible to polish out perfectly.

Brasso is worth a shot but chances are it wont work. If you put on a cover like IS it will actually hide the blemish.
    12-26-08 09:09 AM
    oh my god!!!
    thank you soooo much!!!
    i had NO idea that there was a 2nd protective layer under the initial layer of soft plastic that i removed with packaging!
    i still have it, and it comes off to clear screen ... i put it back down until i get a protector today!
    thank you sooo much!
    12-26-08 09:09 AM
    I have the WPP Insurance at $4.99/month on my bill.
    I've never had cell insurance till this one ... ever used it? How does it work?
    you can file the claim right on there site. Asurion -- Your Device Insurance Company you enter all the info give them a CC and they charge the $50 to it. They send you the replacment and then you send the bad one back to them. I remember seeing about a week ago that they still dont have them since the phone is so new, but they may have them now. still try to go through VZ since it could possiably save you the 50 bucks. Hope it works out for you!!!!
    12-26-08 09:14 AM
    oh my god!!!
    thank you soooo much!!!
    i had NO idea that there was a 2nd protective layer under the initial layer of soft plastic that i removed with packaging!
    i still have it, and it comes off to clear screen ... i put it back down until i get a protector today!
    thank you sooo much!
    Christmas Miracle!!!

I am truly happy for you buddy.
    12-26-08 09:14 AM
    oh my god!!!
    thank you soooo much!!!
    thank you sooo much!
    I made the same mistake. I actually had 3 protectors on my phone.
    12-26-08 09:27 AM
    I'm about to head out to bestbuy to get a protector -- anyone used that Zagg InvisShield one?
    It's about the only one I've noticed ... any suggestions?
    I have the slight bubbles under that bad protective layer Storm had but i wont take it off till i get my shield in less than an hour - would invishield from zagg be good?
    12-26-08 09:31 AM
    Told ya!

Glad that you figured it out. I use the protectors from Verizon and they are really nice. My glass screen is still a virgin and plan to keep it that way forever. I've received 2 replacements so I took the protector off of my original so that I could touch it bare naked for the first time. I didn't like how it felt, but I think it was a little sticky from the protector. Keep something on there!
    12-26-08 09:34 AM
    There are a couple of threads on IS and other protective devises.
    12-26-08 09:36 AM
    I'm about to head out to bestbuy to get a protector -- anyone used that Zagg InvisShield one?
    It's about the only one I've noticed ... any suggestions?
    I have the slight bubbles under that bad protective layer Storm had but i wont take it off till i get my shield in less than an hour - would invishield from zagg be good?
    LOL wow you're anal.
    And I thought I was bad.
    I have Ghost Armor; and I keep it in my old xv6800 pouch
    inside of my uni pda holster.
    Oooops I just bought a leather sleeve.
    Wait I am worse aren't I
    Welcome to the addiction counselor.............
    Ya gotta love it............

posted in a thread here; this is where I ordered my sleeve
    BLACKBERRY STORM CASES - BlackBerry Storm 9530 Cases and Accessories
    12-26-08 09:45 AM
    to the OP, was the bin they dropped your phone in a plastic one? i was gonna say, if it was, it would be impossible for the plastic bin to scratch a glass surface.
    12-26-08 10:02 AM
    oh my god!!!
    thank you soooo much!!!
    thank you sooo much!
    I'm very glad for you
    12-26-08 10:08 AM
    underpaid gov't employee threw it down face first into the bin
    any advice?
    [

LMAO must we insult?
    12-26-08 10:15 AM
    I managed to scratch my Storm. I got the phone about 3 weeks ago and the Vodafone screen protector didnt last long. Bubbled up so I removed it. After watching the video on the guy testing the screen I was confident my screen wouldnt scratch. But I was very WRONG. Last weekend I managed to get a round of golf in. Spent a bit of time in the bunkers. Phone was locked in my bag but after the round I had it in my pocket. Must be some sand got in my pocket because the phone now has very tiny scratches all over the screen. I cleaned it last week and it was pefect. So much for the test. I think if the guy stood by a window later and got some light he would find his screen is well scratched. Screen protector for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 01:33 AM
    Just an observation on the TSA...They do seem to have a particular disregard for people's property. I've read horror stories online and always thought they were exaggerated till I had my own experience with them wrecking my daughter's car seat. Apparently they felt they had to take it completely apart to insure I didnt build any explosives into it and didnt bother putting it back together. Needless to say I had to get a new one at the first store I came to after the airport.
    Last edited by ever1ast; 12-29-08 at 03:39 AM.
    12-29-08 01:41 AM
    LOL the minute iread the "there is a piece in the corner" i knew where this thread was heading!

I am starting to wonder if i missed the protector, cause mine were both soft type protectors. It had a full screen soft protector that was all bubbly and then a half screen soft protector that had some info printed on it.

But there was no hard protector, and the protector that was on there didnt look like it could possibly be mistaken for no protector at all. so is it possible i have another one on there? i know i would have seen it, but now i am questioning myself. i have a verizon one on there now, so i cant check without wasting it (and its my last one for now)
    12-29-08 01:51 AM
    Mine had a half protector and a full protector, both soft.

I use mine with no protector because this thing is quite scratch proof.

video proof:
    storm scratch test - Google Search
    12-29-08 03:54 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD