I have a Storm 9530 and the screen is broken. I was trying to do a device switch with DM and there was a fatal error. Now everytime I connect my device and do a backup or a device switch it makes a "chime" noise(not the same chime as when you plug the bb into the usb) when dm connects to my device and freezes during the back up device data step. When it freezes I have to do a bat pull just to get my computer to recognize the device again. I have tried a software upgrade but again it freezes during the back up process. Is there anything anyone can recommend?

The device connects just fine. If I access advanced options under the back up option in dm it shows the phonebook but when i try to transfer it to my computer my device makes a "chime" sound and does not proceed
    Last edited by n863125; 08-25-09 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added info
    08-25-09 10:34 PM
    Create a Gmail account (assuming you don't already have one) and install Google Sync?
    08-25-09 10:46 PM
    Create a Gmail account (assuming you don't already have one) and install Google Sync?
    The screen is broken I cannot see anything at all.
    08-25-09 10:49 PM
    If you had previously backed up the info from your Storm, just use that.
    08-25-09 10:49 PM
    If you had previously backed up the info from your Storm, just use that.
    No previous backups. That would have been too easy.
    08-25-09 10:50 PM
    Well, the browser cache needs to be cleared to do a backup, if you had been using the browser on the phone.

Perhaps, you can delete the browser in 3rd party Apps with DM and go from there, if you are replacing the phone.
    08-25-09 10:57 PM
    Well, the browser cache needs to be cleared to do a backup, if you had been using the browser on the phone.

Perhaps, you can delete the browser in 3rd party Apps with DM and go from there, if you are replacing the phone.
    I cannot remove or do anything with desktop manager. everytime I connect it freezes during the back up process that automatically happens. I am basically looking to see if there is anything I can do with JL Cmndr or any other type of software to find the error message and see if there is a work around. The device connects just fine. If I access advanced options under the back up option in dm it shows the phonebook but when i try to transfer it to my computer my device makes a "chime" sound and does not proceed.
    08-25-09 11:04 PM
    Can the application loader in the DM still be used since you are saying that it freezes when attempting a backup rather than freezing upon being plugged in?

If so, use the App Loader to remove the browser.
    08-25-09 11:08 PM
    Can the application loader in the DM still be used since you are saying that it freezes when attempting a backup rather than freezing upon being plugged in?

If so, use the App Loader to remove the browser.
    When using the app loader the browser is grayed out and it will not let me select it.
    08-25-09 11:12 PM
    Have you tried the synchronize option which basically only transfers contacts and e-mails (as opposed to backup which transfers most data)?
    08-25-09 11:19 PM
    If all you want is your contacts, sync to Outlook with DM.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

08-25-09 11:27 PM
    Have you tried the synchronize option which basically only transfers contacts and e-mails (as opposed to backup which transfers most data)?

I have tried that and got nowhere. it seems that it can connect and read the information. but when i try to retrieve any info from the device it get an error sound from my device and nothing more happens. there must be a corrupt file somewhere that i need to remove.
    08-25-09 11:27 PM
    If all you want is your contacts, sync to Outlook with DM.

I wish it was that easy.
    08-25-09 11:28 PM
    I have tried that and got nowhere. it seems that it can connect and read the information. but when i try to retrieve any info from the device it get an error sound from my device and nothing more happens. there must be a corrupt file somewhere that i need to remove.
    It also may be that the phone locks itself up from obtaining info on the device, if the phone is somehow damaged, as a precautionary/safety device to prevent tampering.

If you plan on taking the phone to the carrier for a goodwill replacement (which appears to be good for one replacement), have the carrier itself attempt to transfer the contact and other info.

Good luck.
    08-25-09 11:49 PM
    The screen is broken I cannot see anything at all.
    Ah - that clarification helps. I thought you meant the glass itself was broken. Carry on.
    08-25-09 11:58 PM
    Bump.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

08-26-09 01:52 PM
    if DM can't read from the phone to create a backup, then you're fracked...

can it even turn on at all??
    08-26-09 02:09 PM
    if DM can't read from the phone to create a backup, then you're fracked...

can it even turn on at all??

Yeah the phone turns on just fine. DM recognizes the device and can read what apps are on it, but when I try to retrieve anything from it. The device freezes.

08-26-09 02:28 PM
    what DM version do you have?

and how are you posting mobile if your phone doesn't work?
    08-26-09 02:38 PM
    what DM version do you have?

and how are you posting mobile if your phone doesn't work?
    5.0 I'm on my replacement device

08-26-09 02:42 PM
    okay...if you have DM and there is a backup error, it should prompt you on the screen, are you getting any such prompt or is your device just fracking out?
    08-26-09 02:52 PM
    okay...if you have DM and there is a backup error, it should prompt you on the screen, are you getting any such prompt or is your device just fracking out?
    There is an error I can hear the sound but the screen is physically broken and I can not see anything. Looking through the event log on JL_CMDR I see a java lang error. Could that be the cause?

08-26-09 03:02 PM
    on your computer, is there an error on DM for the backup?
    08-26-09 03:04 PM
    on your computer, is there an error on DM for the backup?

There is never an error message. Everything looks like its going to work but the status bars never move.

08-26-09 03:24 PM
    Try and reboot in safe mode. I believe you do a bat pull and hold the back button for a while, might be a little hard with no screen for an on screen cue. That is the only other thing I can think of. And then try and connect with DM.

I have a Storm 9530 and the screen is broken. I was trying to do a device switch with DM and there was a fatal error. Now everytime I connect my device and do a backup or a device switch it makes a "chime" noise(not the same chime as when you plug the bb into the usb) when dm connects to my device and freezes during the back up device data step. When it freezes I have to do a bat pull just to get my computer to recognize the device again. I have tried a software upgrade but again it freezes during the back up process. Is there anything anyone can recommend?

The device connects just fine. If I access advanced options under the back up option in dm it shows the phonebook but when i try to transfer it to my computer my device makes a "chime" sound and does not proceed
    08-26-09 04:17 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD