I have the storm 9530 with the .75 software and want to upgrade to the newest and best OS, so I tried doing the .148 and after two hours im totally lost and have accomplished nothing. Can someone please talk me through this process step by step in simple terms? I have no clue what I am doing
    05-27-09 03:21 AM
    05-27-09 03:24 AM
    read the link given as well as search for other threads, but in short.

1) back up phone
    2) back up third party apps
    3) install OS on computer
    4) shrink OS (optional)
    5) load OS onto phone
    6) *228 opt 1
    7) *228 opt 2
    8) resend service books
    9) restore 3rd party apps

now where are you stuck?
    05-27-09 03:29 AM
    Once you have the process down I would recommend Lyricidal's .148/5.0 Hybrid! Best OS to date!

Also def recommend using Shrink-A-OS and BBFileScout to get rid of all unnecessary apps and media

Good Luck!
    05-27-09 03:34 AM
    I have the storm 9530 with the .75 software and want to upgrade to the newest and best OS, so I tried doing the .148 and after two hours im totally lost and have accomplished nothing. Can someone please talk me through this process step by step in simple terms? I have no clue what I am doing
    Here is the procedure I have used to upgrade my operating system twice successfully and easily. It was created by branon9530 a while back and hence uses 113 & 122 for it's upgrade, but just sub out the directions for those operating systems with .148 and follow everything else and you will be all good. After it's all done, make sure to do a battery pull or two. Good luck!!

Installing a New OS

These phones have an operating system just like your computer. But RIM (Blackberry) released the stock OS quick and hurried it into production to try and compete with the I-phone. And while it works fine. Its slow as ****. So they have been messing with the OS ever since and when they change a few things on it they will release what’s called a LEAK OS. Which is not an official one through Verizon but like a trial beta one through RIM to see how it works. There have been like 10+ OS leaks and most had annoying bugs or problems. But the recent ones are good. If I were you I would install this one...113 Link Below.

Storm 9530 4.7.0.113 - OS DOWNLOAD IT HERE

This one is really stable and works good and fast. Okay so how do you do it, well

I'm also now adding the link for the Bell .122 Official OS Thread that has the download link. You can use this one instead of the .113 build if you would like. The directions would be the same just use the .122 file instead of the .113 mentioned in the directions. Link below, enjoy.
    BELL OS 4.7.0.122 Download

1. Download the new os from the link above. They are usually like 130MB or so, so it might take a little while.

2. Then you have to go to the file you downloaded and install it. It is going to walk you through the process of installation. At the end of the install, it is going to ask you if you want to run desktop manager after you finish the installation. Say no.

3. So now you have on your computer, installed files to load the new os. They install all of this stuff hidden in a folder of your computer. You can install it using your desktop manager (the software given to you by Verizon to backup your phone stuff and load new stuff onto it). I don’t like to do it this way, so I’m going to show you a faster and easier way to install your new OS and basically leave everything else on your phone the same so you don’t have to load your backup file to get your contacts and setting on there.

So now were ready to install it on your phone..

A. Connect your phone to the computer.
    B. Back-up your phone using desktop manager. Then close desktop manager. (You don’t have to do this, I would just hate for something to go wrong and for you to lose all of your settings and contacts) Then close DM. If you are familiar with DM and want to install that way, make sure that you disconnect from the internet before you use DM to install. The reason for this is that DM tries to get updates from the RIM server and sometimes these can stop DM from loading your OS, it will want to load the one it found from RIM. And that one will be a much older version. We are NOT using DM, we are using the app loader. The app loader does not search for updates, so in turn we DO NOT have to disconnect from the internet if you are using these instructions.
    C. Then, go to My Computer....C Drive....Program Files...Common Files...Research and Motion...App Loader..Scroll all the way down to the bottom. Right click the Vendor.xml file and delete it. You dont need it and the safe thing to do is to always delete it, if its there. Then on your computer go to....My Computer....C Drive....Program Files...Common Files...Research and Motion...App Loader...Then Click on the App Loader in that folder. The icon looks like a phone.
    D. This loader will walk you through the process. You are going to click next twice and it is going to read your phone to see what OS you have now. You basically at this point Click yes, or next to everything until it starts loading the new os. It will ask you right before it starts if you want to back-up you phone before installation, and you click yes. You do want that, because that part is going to be what keeps everything that’s on the phone exactly the same. So you don’t have to load it again. That would be ****ty!
    E. Now, as the new OS is being loaded you cannot unplug the phone it will mess it up. Your computer also cannot go into sleep mode, so make sure it doesn’t usually do that because I’m not sure if that would mess it up, but it couldn’t be good. :-). You can change this in control panel...power settings.
    F. You will see your phone go through a bunch of steps...white screen, hour glass, and you will be able to see the computer go through the steps. Now when it finished loading the OS files it will say connecting to your device on your computer. This takes a while and the line barely moves...don’t panic this is just what it does. Don’t know why. As your phone reboots you will see the little blue line on the bottom go across, but don’t unplug it yet because the back-up file it created still hasn’t been loaded yet.
    G. The phone will turn back on and you will see the verizon screen. Then you will see the computer start loading your old settings, contacts, etc.
    H. After this your phone will be done and the computer will say that your OS has been updated successfully. Then you can pick up the phone unplug it and start messing around. You’re going to have to click through some setting things, but everything else should be good to go. I always dial *228, options #1 & #2, just to re activate everything with verizon, you don’t have to do this, but I do it. I don’t know why, just to make sure I’m connected to the towers right.
    Congrats, you should be good to go. Go to...Options...About and look there. It should say V4.7.0113 if you loaded 113 and V4.7.0122 if you loaded 122. If it does you now you new OS loaded. You should notice right away that the typing is faster and the screen flipping is fast. Everything is just better.
    Last edited by bseblman1; 05-27-09 at 08:55 AM.
    05-27-09 08:51 AM
    Once you have the process down I would recommend Lyricidal's .148/5.0 Hybrid! Best OS to date!

Also def recommend using Shrink-A-OS and BBFileScout to get rid of all unnecessary apps and media

Good Luck!
    agreed. this is definitely the best course of action
    05-27-09 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD