Hi, I am a newbie. I spent 3 days Programing my Storm 9530. I am on the Alltel network. I finally got everything transfered and set up. (Yea!!) I was cleaning the finger smudges off of the screen to apply a Verizon Storm screen protector. I did have to push firmly, NOT hard but firmly on the upper left corner of the screen with the supplied cleaning cloth in a circular motion to remove a stuborn smudge. (in the portrait mode it would be the upper left corner, In the landscape on the Storms left side it would be the far lower left and far left middle of the screen. I removed the smudge, applied the screen protector. Turned on the Storm.... and now I have buttons that will not work.

On the left side while typing a text message the "Q", "A" and the !?123 buttons do NOT light up and will not work. If I turn the Storm on the Right side the "P" and the "<-" button do not work. These buttons WORKED before I cleaned the screen.

I did remove the screen protector and tried to see if the buttons would work however I had the same negative results.

Is there a way to recalibrate the screen or fix it or did I ruin my Storm and I am just screwed.

Alltel does not offer this phone and Verizon has not completed the swich over yet. I bought this phone off a individual on eBay and it was brand new. I dont think RIM will replace it since I do not have a receipt and I am not the origional purchasor (sp).
    ANY SUGUESTIONS??
    Last edited by ujoint68; 01-29-09 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Changed Title
    01-29-09 02:13 PM
    Have you removed your battery and had the Storm reboot? Good luck.
    01-29-09 03:13 PM
    Thank you for the suggestion however I did try several Battery removals, I even did one for over an hour and still no improvement. I should clarify that the buttons are visible and the entire screen appears normal however the buttons in question do NOT respond to touch. Prior to applying the screen protector. The Strorm functioned as designed.
    01-29-09 03:20 PM
    Take it back. I know that is not what you want to hear, but it sounds like the screen is defective.
    01-29-09 03:23 PM
    Yep, go to the store and get a replacement. or call and have them over night you one...
    01-29-09 03:25 PM
    Please make sure you didn't put the new screen protector over the factory protection film that was already there.

RIM applies a clear film to protect the screen during assembly and shipping but its not intended to be an in-use protector. Stacking two of them may have caused a problem, like insulating you from the glass too much.

You need to look close at the edges of glass to see if the factory protection film is there. A magnifying glass may be needed as its difficult to see.
    01-29-09 03:26 PM
    Your right its not what I want to hear As I stated in my origional post I have no one to return it too. I have Alltel, no receipt. I dont think I can even get insurance on the phone because Alltel dont carry it. Will RIM accept the phone if I try to return it to them under these circumstances? If so someone please tell me what I need to tell them in order to get them to replace it.
    01-29-09 03:34 PM
    You should take it back to Verizon and have it replaced.

Or, you can try to loosen the screws at the back.
    01-29-09 03:39 PM
    Hey MegaBit,

I had removed a factory screen protector but it only covered about 1/2 to 3/4 of the screen. I am 99% sure it was the only screen protector on the screen. Are you saying that there is a second protector under the one I removed??
    I dont think that is the issue (but I will check) because it works perfect everywhere else.

Thanks for your input
    01-29-09 03:43 PM
    There is definitely a secondary protective layer that covers the entire screen (which comes stock with the phone). It is easy to miss -- look carefully.

Also, inspect the area very carefully for any hairline cracks or defects to the area which you applied the pressure.

Finally, do NOT loosen the screws in the back as the other poster suggested. S/he clearly didn't read the inquiry -- as his/her suggestion is a fix for clicking issues, not touching issues.
    01-29-09 03:49 PM
    There is definitely a secondary protective layer that covers the entire screen (which comes stock with the phone). It is easy to miss -- look carefully.

Also, inspect the area very carefully for any hairline cracks or defects to the area which you applied the pressure.

Finally, do NOT loosen the screws in the back as the other poster suggested. S/he clearly didn't read the inquiry -- as his/her suggestion is a fix for clicking issues, not touching issues.
    +1 (he answered the question)
    01-29-09 04:03 PM
    I think that the OP's main issue (and please tell if I'm wrong) is that if the device is damaged or has a software issue, etc., how does he/she go about getting it replaced?

If the secondary layer of the screen protector isn't the issue then I would say that you need to contact BlackBerry directly. Manufacturers warranty their products for one year. I would not attempt loosening the screws because BB will definitely go over that device with a fine tooth comb to ensure that you didn't cause the damage.

What you have on your side is that the Storm has only been out for a few months so you may not have to jump through hoops in order to get the device replaced. If it had been out for a year or more you might have to prove the purchase date.

The major issue is that they might have you send them the device, and then they will check it over and either repair it or send you a replacement. This would leave you without a phone for a particular amount of time unless you have another device to switch back to during that time.

I hope this information helps.
    01-29-09 04:14 PM

I used a 16X Jewelers Magnifying Glass to inspect the screen, I can not see any cracks or defects in the screen. (I did see some interesting stuff, but no damage) Nor could I identify any secondary screen protector. I must have removed it all ready and I just dont remember it or it came off when I removed the screen protector that I had appied. either way I dont "think" that is the issue because the storm is working perfect except for the areas I mentioned with or with out a screen protector now.

Thank your for telling me NOT to remove the screws because that was my next move. lol
    01-29-09 04:15 PM
    what happend was either you or someone used a CAR CHARGER to charge the storm, and it will **** up your screen! or you charged it at home with a non blackberry certified charger! i really wish RIM would recall the storms or put out a public notice not to charge the phone in the car.
    Last edited by hurleyguy182; 01-29-09 at 04:26 PM.
    01-29-09 04:23 PM
    I think that the OP's main issue (and please tell if I'm wrong) is that if the device is damaged or has a software issue, etc., how does he/she go about getting it replaced?.....

.......I hope this information helps.
    You are Correct Blackwidow. If no one knows how to fix my screw up and it is physical damage that only the factory can fix then Yes, I was asking IF or HOW I can go about getting the item replaced. I guess my next step will be to get on the RIM or Blackberry website and figure out how to do that.

If there are any KEY words I should Say or NOT say when dealing with a manufactor that would make this whole replacement easier. Please advise.... for some reason I am a little nervous and got a bad feeling about this whole deal.

Thanks to all for your input!!
    01-29-09 04:39 PM
    what happend was either you or someone used a CAR CHARGER to charge the storm, and it will **** up your screen! or you charged it at home with a non blackberry certified charger! i really wish RIM would recall the storms or put out a public notice not to charge the phone in the car.
    Hey what's the point here? I do use a car charger and so far had no issues.

Also should the two plastics be removed off the screen?
    Thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 04:40 PM
    i used a car charger for my LG dare that fits perfectly into the blackberry storm. two hours of charging the phone, i noticed when i unpluged the phone that the keys Q, A, would not work and if i flipped it over the keys P and > would not work.

its becuase the two chargers use different voltage.
    01-29-09 04:48 PM

I only have the FACTORY AC charger that came with the phone. The phone worked perfect prior to me cleaning and applying the screen protector and did not function properly afterwords. I did not charge the phone in between applying the protector and trying it out. The whole incident occured within a 5 min time span...
    The car charger may be the cause of some issues with the Storm, and is a good thing to know if I ever get my phone replaced (it still works just very inconvenient when sending text) However I am 100% sure a car charger has nothing to do with my phone issues since I have not purchased one yet.
    01-29-09 04:49 PM
    im sorry that happened to you.....you have to be careful buying things from other people so that you have warranties for things like that
    01-29-09 04:56 PM
    i used a car charger for my LG dare that fits perfectly into the blackberry storm. two hours of charging the phone, i noticed when i unpluged the phone that the keys Q, A, would not work and if i flipped it over the keys P and > would not work.

Very Interesting... As I said it is impossible for the car charger to have caused my problem because I have never used/own one and I only use the factory suppiled Home charger.... but we have the same problem... Maybe I somehow "shorted out" some sort of conductors/connectors under the screen or something when I was rubbing on the screen to clean it. (again i was not pushing HARD just firmly)

hurleyguy, How did you fix your Keys???
    01-29-09 04:57 PM
    If the device doesn't have any physical or moisture damage I would think that there wouldn't be an issue with getting the phone replaced. It doesn't sound like you have done anything malicious to the phone, but more than likely they are going to ask you if you have made any changes to the phone such as upgrading the OS or adding third party applications. IMHO, I think that adding a screen protector to the device without the screen going haywire is a reasonable expectation of owning the phone. I don't think that you have to omit any information when reporting an issue like this to the manufacturer.
    01-29-09 04:59 PM
    im sorry that happened to you.....you have to be careful buying things from other people so that you have warranties for things like that
    Thank you lovetherain, not only do you make a good point but you are thoughtfull and kind with your words (Plus you have a cute picture) lol

Point taken. I have learned a vaulable lesson. I just hope I can get the factory to replace it.
    01-29-09 05:02 PM
    If the device doesn't have any physical or moisture damage I would think that there wouldn't be an issue with getting the phone replaced. It doesn't sound like you have done anything malicious to the phone, but more than likely they are going to ask you if you have made any changes to the phone such as upgrading the OS or adding third party applications. IMHO, I think that adding a screen protector to the device without the screen going haywire is a reasonable expectation of owning the phone. I don't think that you have to omit any information when reporting an issue like this to the manufacturer.
    I agree with you. I was NOT malicious or over agressive as I said I pressed firmly... I was trying to becarefull as not to cause any damage and I felt as thou I was a gentle as I could be and still clean the screen.

Question 1: The phone displays OS 4.7.0.86 the side of the box shows Version 4.7.0.75 does that matter??

Also the origional owner put on some software. My space, CNN Mobile, Viigo, ESPN, Wikimobile, and Facebook is that what you mean by 3rd party Apps??
    01-29-09 05:18 PM
    I agree with you. I was NOT malicious or over agressive as I said I pressed firmly... I was trying to becarefull as not to cause any damage and I felt as thou I was a gentle as I could be and still clean the screen.

Question 1: The phone displays OS 4.7.0.86 the side of the box shows Version 4.7.0.75 does that matter??

Also the origional owner put on some software. My space, CNN Mobile, Viigo, ESPN, Wikimobile, and Facebook is that what you mean by 3rd party Apps??
    I wouldn't be worried about the Facebook and MySpace because they can now be downloaded via the Application Center. The OS and other applications is something that I would personally be worried about. Since the .86 isn't an official 9530 software version, I would think that BB would have a huge problem with replacing it if they know about or see it on the device. I would say that right now you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Like I said before, I can see them going over every inch of that phone and you don't want to have any reason for them to not replace it under their warranty. Are you sure there isn't anyway for you to get your money back from the original seller?
    01-29-09 05:56 PM

Really? I was told by the VZW Rep that sold me my Storm that I could use my Dare car charger...they were compatible. I have also charged my Storm with it and not had any issues.
    Now I will worry...ugh.
    01-29-09 06:02 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD