Call it the ALT-Qwerty. The 8700 series, The curve, the bold - they all have it! RIM please make a touch screen version. or can one of you programmers make a program? come on!! I hate this new system . having to flip back and forth between screens... it's soo inefficient.

When typing, have the brackets ( ) on T and Y., the numbers 1 on w , 2 on e, 3 on r.. etc... just like the curve, the 8700 series, the bold...

the question mark on V, the exclamation on B. - just examples.

All that is needed is a new button "ALT" and the addition of these graphix to each letter key.

This new STORM system isn't nearly as efficient.

so please bring it back!
    Last edited by SoCracked; 01-06-09 at 10:39 AM.
    01-06-09 10:37 AM
    Call it the ALT-Qwerty. The 8700 series, The curve, the bold - they all have it! RIM please make a touch screen version. or can one of you programmers make a program? come on!! I hate this new system . having to flip back and forth between screens... it's soo inefficient.

When typing, have the brackets ( ) on T and Y., the numbers 1 on w , 2 on e, 3 on r.. etc... just like the curve, the 8700 series, the bold...

All that is needed is a new button "ALT" and the addition of these graphix to each letter key.

so please bring it back!
    I am so glad it does not work the way you suggest.

Perhaps you can assign an autotext to pull up the symbols you use most often
    01-06-09 10:58 AM

so please bring it back!
    I came from WinMO phones so I'm not 100% sure of what your saying, with regards to previous BB's, but when you hit the "!?123" key it changes the keyboard to the overlay you are suggesting. the brackets are in the spot of the T and Y keys and so on... Am I missing somthing here? It seems pretty efficient use of the keyboard to me.
    01-06-09 11:25 AM
    In addition to what's been said, if you need to type several numbers or symbols at a time, you can just hold down on the key for a moment and it will lock it onto that layout until you hit that key again.

Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like you're expecting the Storm to function exactly like your old keyed devices, when it's a whole new type of beast from RIM. You have to forget almost everything you knew about BB phones with the Storm. And that's not such a bad thing, since it frees RIM up to innovate with the UI a little. They aren't shackled to a physical keyboard and trackball anymore, they can explore new ideas. Some will work out better than others, but that's just the nature of the game. It's not like they can tell beforehand which features will be a huge success and which will flop. On paper, things like Microsoft BOB and Office's Clippy would seem like they should be a huge hit... Obviously that didn't happen.

It really does seem like those of us who are new to the BB world are having a much easier time figuring out, and adapting to, the Storm. Long time BB users seem to all be stuck in their old ways and are unwilling or unable to adapt.
    01-06-09 11:44 AM
    Also. This would be physically impossible on the storm because you can't hit two buttons at the same time due to the screen being only one button.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 11:52 AM
    learn to adapt...it really isn't slower, just different.
    01-06-09 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD