This says it all in terms of the reception issues:

Why Apple's iPhone 4 Update Won't Fix Your Reception Problem
    07-03-10 06:48 AM
    I have no issue discussing other phones in a BB forum, especially in comparison of the BB for that forum. What gets me is the immediate, defensive, childish, petty responses it elicits. Comical, but sad.

I am a tech person. I like to have many devices. I was never a Ford vs Chevy or Mercedes vs. BMW war person. I want to use what works best for what I do with it. I have a Mac and several PC's and I consider myself a power user on both. I have had an iPhone and several BB's. Heck I have had two Windows Mobile phones and an old Palm Treo with the Palm OS, which kicked **** in its day. They each have their pro's and con's.

I think we can all admit two things:

(1) RIM was way ahead of a lot of other companies in the smart phone space. BlackBerry phones have been able to do things for years that others are now just catching or still have not recognized, and most of them go to productivity and ease of use. The iOS4 is a good example of playing catch up on core functions, but already being ahead in newer areas of use.
    (2) RIM in many other areas is falling behind. In areas like web browsing they are way behind. My RIM hardware experience has been bad. Every other device I have had from every other manufacturer has been better in terms of build and reliability, period. This is not just my experience. My company replaces BB's like crazy. Our old Windows Mobile phones like the Moto Q's are tanks, and last forever. They suck for functions, but they last a long time and were great phones. RIM needs to catch up to capture all the newer, yet key functions people want. Web browsing for business users and consumers is important today, especially if you travel. It is not a toy function, even though yes a laptop is better. They must catch up.

I think in general and for RIM's business, these points are hard to argue. I am sure some of you will try to argue them, but RIM's is losing ground in the larger market to devices like the iPhone. In 3 years they have lost a lot of ground. Plot that trend and it is concerning. You can debate the features in techie terms, but it does not matter if regular people don't recognize your arguments or don't want to pay money for the device. If you think RIM doesn't need a leap forward, then your device will be what you want it to be for sometime. They won't die, but you won't be with a future winner in the market if they don't leap forward. Their impact will decrease unless.

I hope BB6 is what we all want and it also brings marketing pizazz back to RIM. RIM needs the pizazz whether you want it or not, and the numbers tell that story. I also hope they pair it with superior hardware, which it seems they are if the rumors are true. I just hope they don't make the Storm3 look like the Storm2, or that won't entice people at all, including me.
    TOTALLY agree - When was the last time (if ever) there was a line at the Verizon store for the release of a new BlackBerry model? RIM needs to give us a "knock it out of the ballpark" effort for the Storm3, if they expect to stop losing market share. They make a very good product, but, like it or not, the consumers want BIG screens, lots of memory, and fast processors; the Androids are providing that.
    07-03-10 08:02 AM
    It might be a great toy (games), and is 'ok' for browsing, but as a PHONE I vehemently disagree. Here's why:

1. reception (issue with new antenna design, along with AT&T sucky service)
    2. speakerphone speaker is W I M P Y.
    3. intrusive alerts--kinda lame, don't ya think, when Apple always brags about their interfaces being "clean", intuitive, and "better" than everyone elses???
    4. lack of replaceable battery for times when you NEED a phone and the damn thing is DEAD.

Say what you want, the Jesus phone is NOT the best PHONE. It's a great toy. It's not too bad for web browsing (but the HTC EVO, and the Droid X are going to eat it for lunch in the browsing category)
    I picked up the EVO 4G the other day. That phone is massive. It would be like carrying a "netbook" in your pocket. I'm sure that if people like gaming and internet surfing it is a grrat phone. Just too BIG for me. Love my Storm 2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 09:51 AM
    I picked up the EVO 4G the other day. That phone is massive. It would be like carrying a "netbook" in your pocket. I'm sure that if people like gaming and internet surfing it is a grrat phone. Just too BIG for me. Love my Storm 2.
    I want a bigger screen just to read the internet pages or even a simple email. I also would like to be able to read things better, and the bigger the screen, the easier it is to read. I don't surf the net, but many emails I get throughout the day, require going to the internet to read something. I don't want to lug around (nor can I afford) an iPad, but I slightly larger phone (we are talking an inch or less here) I can put up with!
    07-03-10 10:20 AM
    This says it all in terms of the reception issues:

Why Apple's iPhone 4 Update Won't Fix Your Reception Problem
    A review from gizmodo, the people who apple is sueing for buying stolen products and trying to extort them. Yea I won't be reading that.
    07-03-10 12:21 PM
    A review from gizmodo, the people who apple is sueing for buying stolen products and trying to extort them. Yea I won't be reading that.
    LOL! You aren't closed minded are you?? I'll read stories from Giz and take it with a grain of salt, but a MUCH SMALLER GRAIN OF SALT than when I read something that's come from Job's mouth.
    07-03-10 01:01 PM
    I have to tell you, this is very fanboy like. Swear off a site because they got an early product based on a guy leaving it in a bar, and it turns out they were right? I think Apple is wrong for suing them. It is like they are reacting like children. Their employee lost the phone in a bar. It is not like someone stole it from the Apple offices! In most states it would not be a crime once in the public domain.

Ignore the review, deny the problems, but that does not make it a big, messed up deal.

I like Gizmodo quite a bit, and it is a good source of tech news.
    07-03-10 01:08 PM
    I don't read Giz, I prefer endgadget just a personal preference.
    07-03-10 01:10 PM
    I have to tell you, this is very fanboy like. Swear off a site because they got an early product based on a guy leaving it in a bar, and it turns out they were right? I think Apple is wrong for suing them. It is like they are reacting like children. Their employee lost the phone in a bar. It is not like someone stole it from the Apple offices! In most states it would not be a crime once in the public domain.

Ignore the review, deny the problems, but that does not make it a big, messed up deal.

I like Gizmodo quite a bit, and it is a good source of tech news.
    Ok I'll ask you one thing that should put this argument to rest, do you buy products that you know are stolen? (gizmodo's Jason chen admitted he knew it was stolen). Finally do you extort people? Now if you do this well then ok I guess what he did was fine with you. It has nothing to do with me liking apple. I own a 9700 which I love and use for work but what he did was wrong plain and simple.
    07-03-10 01:18 PM
    Ok I'll ask you one thing that should put this argument to rest, do you buy products that you know are stolen? (gizmodo's Jason chen admitted he knew it was stolen). Finally do you extort people? Now if you do this well then ok I guess what he did was fine with you. It has nothing to do with me liking apple. I own a 9700 which I love and use for work but what he did was wrong plain and simple.
    I hope you don't watch NFL games--Michael Vick is a convicted felon for his dog fighting involvement, and there are plenty of other slimeballs in the NFL. Don't watch golf, because Tiger is a serial cheater. Don't watch movies because of all the actors involved in drugs, etc...the list is endless.
    07-03-10 01:55 PM
    That's funny because I don't watch any of that stuff most of my time is spent not dying while deployed in Afghanistan and when I'm home touring the country with my son and wife. I have seen the avatar though, but still can you answer the question and not divert from it although it wasn't meant or you. Do you purchase stolen products or extort people. Personally I do not so I don't really find any credibility and reading from a site which does, when I can read endgadget which is just as good if not better.
    07-03-10 02:05 PM
    That's funny because I don't watch any of that stuff most of my time is spent not dying while deployed in Afghanistan and when I'm home touring the country with my son and wife. I have seen the avatar though, but still can you answer the question and not divert from it although it wasn't meant or you. Do you purchase stolen products or extort people. Personally I do not so I don't really find any credibility and reading from a site which does, when I can read endgadget which is just as good if not better.
    I must agree Engadget is superior to Gizmodo, IMO.

I've never bought a stolen item. Haven't extorted anyone.

Cheers!

oh, and major props for being in the military! I did my time in Viet Nam, so I know what it's like.
    07-03-10 02:13 PM
    Sweet!!! Yea I'm military intel and just got moved from the NSA at Ft Meade to Bragg (I'm actually fm Bragg military brat lol). I'm now attached to sf group 7 which really blows cause now I do 6 month rotations 6 on 6 off. So yea big-ups although we disagree on everything except gizmodo and endgadget we definitely have that military brotherhood.
    07-03-10 02:19 PM
    Ok I'll ask you one thing that should put this argument to rest, do you buy products that you know are faulty design? (apple S.Jobs said you are holding it the wrong way). Finally do you cheat people? Now if you do this then ok I guess what he did was fine with you. It has nothing to do with me liking blackberry. I dont own an apple which i hate and dont use for work but what Jobs did was wrong plain and simple.

No hard feelings!!!

I too had my times carrying a M16 on a patrol mission!
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-03-10 at 02:24 PM.
    07-03-10 02:20 PM
    Sweet!!! Yea I'm military intel and just got moved from the NSA at Ft Meade to Bragg (I'm actually fm Bragg military brat lol). I'm now attached to sf group 7 which really blows cause now I do 6 month rotations 6 on 6 off. So yea big-ups although we disagree on everything except gizmodo and endgadget we definitely have that military brotherhood.
    Are you sure we didn't agree on at least one thing, recently? I thought we did. Maybe I'm mistaken.

( I was a military brat also--spent as much time overseas in my first 18 years on earth, as I spent in the US)
    07-03-10 02:23 PM
    I don't carry an M-16 that's for fobets we carry M-4's if you know what that is. What unit were you in, and company and for how long. No offense but I feel unlike Dave you used the military to validate you. also can you answer the question. The design isn't faulty if you intentionally cover you hand over the antenna what's going to happen? I mean let's use common sense here. I'll answer your ? Sense you won't answer mine for some odd reason. No I don't buy faulty products, 2 I don't cheat people.
    07-03-10 02:37 PM
    I don't carry an M-16 that's for fobets we carry M-4's if you know what that is. What unit were you in, and company and for how long. No offense but I feel unlike Dave you used the military to validate you. also can you answer the question. The design isn't faulty if you intentionally cover you hand over the antenna what's going to happen? I mean let's use common sense here. I'll answer your ? Sense you won't answer mine for some odd reason. No I don't buy faulty products, 2 I don't cheat people.
    4 years in the air force as a "weapons mechanic" which meant I loaded missiles, mini guns, napalm, conventional weapons, and at my last duty station, nuclear weapons.

You lost me with the "validate" comment.
    07-03-10 02:47 PM
    Ohhhh hahaha the air force that explains everything
    07-03-10 02:59 PM
    That wasn't at you Dave that was at the other guy t whatever not at you Dave
    07-03-10 03:00 PM
    That wasn't at you Dave that was at the other guy t whatever not at you Dave
    ok....

and how does having been in the Air Force explain ANYTHING?
    07-03-10 03:08 PM
    Lol just joking you know the army always messes with the air force, well at least we do now, I'm not sure how it was back in your day.
    07-03-10 03:09 PM
    ... you used the military to validate you. also can you answer the question....
    LOL
    if anybody appears to be trying to "validate themselves" by bragging about their military service it would appear to be you, Brandon.
    Living everyday like it's my last fighting for my country WTF have you done lately
    I'm sure there are plenty of us on the forum who have spent many years "fighting for their country" but choose not to brag about it.

Your whole attitude leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me question weather or not you have ever actually had to "fight" for your country.
    In my experience, it's those who have never seen any real action that are the first to brag about their service.
    07-03-10 03:11 PM
    Lol just joking you know the army always messes with the air force, well at least we do now, I'm not sure how it was back in your day.
    ah! Sure--there has always been a rivalry amongst the various branches of the military! Army/Navy games... LOL!

Next week, my stepson gets his wings--he'll then be a Naval Aviator. We are pretty excited about that, as he started out his service as an enlisted "grunt".
    07-03-10 03:15 PM
    LOL
    if anybody appears to be trying to "validate themselves" by bragging about their military service it would appear to be you, Brandon.

I'm sure there are plenty of us on the forum who have spent many years "fighting for their country" but choose not to brag about it.

Your whole attitude leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me question weather or not you have ever actually had to "fight" for your country.
    In my experience, it's those who have never seen any real action that are the first to brag about their service.
    don't ask don't tell about that whole taste in your mouth deal. Secondly your experience what type of experience do you have gauging wether people have fought or not did you. I have this thing on my acu's called airborne wings and a C.A.B. People in the military refer to it as a cab. It means combat action badge. That's all the validation I need.
    07-03-10 03:28 PM
    OK fellas, enough of the pissing contest, please. No one here needs to "prove" anything to anyone.
    07-03-10 03:32 PM
178 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD