it's a coworker's. i gotta say, while the touchscreen is smooth, and it is a GREAT form factor, and the web browser renders elements slightly better, I think I'll keep my trusty Storm 2.

Screen is MUCH brighter on the S2. Yes, the text is a slight bit sharper on the iphone, but it's not any sharper than my old Bold 9000. Browser tests I did to sites like news.yahoo.com and news.google.com, there was no discernable difference in browsing speeds, and in fact, Verizon's network performed consistently better. I kept having to reload the pages on the iphone, because it would often stall. I'm running OOAK's hybrid 713/74x on my S2.

If I look at my phone's usage overall, probably 60% is mixed phone / browser use, with 40% messaging, and you can't beat a BlackBerry with its messaging prowess. After playing around with the iphone extensively, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what BlackBerry churns out with the next OS iterations and hw variants.

Just thought I'd pass along that info to any potential iphone shoppers.
    06-30-10 01:34 PM
    maybe you had to keep reloading on the iphone because you were holding it "wrong"

Bahahaha that still cracks me up BIGTIME. How could they have not caught a MAJOR issue like that!??? Not one tester came back and said.. "Hey it doesnt work if i hold it like this" ????
    06-30-10 01:41 PM
    maybe you had to keep reloading on the iphone because you were holding it "wrong"

Bahahaha that still cracks me up BIGTIME. How could they have not caught a MAJOR issue like that!??? Not one tester came back and said.. "Hey it doesnt work if i hold it like this" ????
    HAHA. I actually made SURE to hold it correctly, and paid attention to my bars the whole time. I just don't miss AT&T at all.
    06-30-10 01:46 PM
    My Storm 2 Coverage Area has Fell through the floor I've considered going to an Iphone but one I don't feel like waiting until Mid July and 2 it's AT&T their service couldn't get worse
    06-30-10 01:54 PM
    I highly doubt that the browser speeds were equal...The bb browser should be compared to a snail or slug.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 02:39 PM
    The bb browser should be compared to a snail or slug.

You must mean storm, not all bb's, b/c mine is faster than any iphone I've ever played with...
    06-30-10 02:51 PM
    You must mean storm, not all bb's, b/c mine is faster than any iphone I've ever played with...
    ^^Are you saying that your BB can load the full crackberry page faster than a iphone? If so I don't believe you.

06-30-10 03:33 PM
    Most any phone is faster than the browser on my phone.

I know this because it spends most of the day randomly rebooting itself forcing me to sit for approximately 5-7 minutes while it boots up to even open the browser.
    06-30-10 03:37 PM
    Try loading a page not made for a mobile device...since a lot of those exist, I find myself being unable to load them at all on my phone or that it'll take forever.

And posting on forums that don't have a mobile friendly site? Forget it.

Besides, my phone just pulled a first, it rebooted WHILE rebooting.

I seriously think my S2 knows I'm about to get rid of it...because it's been littered with problems since I wanted a Droid X...or maybe its because the latest official OS for this phone is a steaming pile.
    06-30-10 03:40 PM
    I highly doubt that the browser speeds were equal...The bb browser should be compared to a snail or slug.

You should stop doubting so much. It's unhealthy.

One thought is, you should go to the store and do an actual test for yourself. Then report back.
    06-30-10 03:46 PM
    You should stop doubting so much. It's unhealthy.

One thought is, you should go to the store and do an actual test for yourself. Then report back.
    I have both devices( check my posting history) otherwise I wouldn't have spoke about it...I like my s2 and my iphone but I have to call a spade a spade...The bb browser is slow as H E double hockey sticks....Its good for mobile sites and that's it......

06-30-10 03:51 PM
    I have both devices( check my posting history) otherwise I wouldn't have spoke about it...I like my s2 and my iphone but I have to call a spade a spade...The bb browser is slow as H E double hockey sticks....Its good for mobile sites and that's it......

Why are you posting using your BlackBerry then, if it's so slow?

My point is, browsing on the iPhone isn't as profoundly different as it once maybe was, compared to an S2 with latest / hybrid OS.

More and more sites are moving toward "mobile-ready" devices, as it's useless to try and read anything in full page view on anything less than a netbook or iPad. So, while full-page browsing *might* load faster in Safari ( vs BlackBerry native browser, but not so compared to 3rd party BlackBerry browsers ), it is essentially a bunk argument, since most surf the the web to "read" or "watch", not to look at "page layout".

I also have an iPhone 4 coming shortly for work. I do appreciate your input -- I simply believe that the "fanboiness" you see with iPhones "being better" is just that, a subjective opinion based in rudimentary levels of thinking.

Apple excels at making "appliance" technology for the masses to use. On the flip side, I hope BlackBerry is smart enough to start appealing to those masses, as well.
    06-30-10 04:11 PM
    I'm posting from my bb bc well that's the device I'm using right now ....Like I said I don't have a problem with any platform....I was just pointing out that the native bb browser blows.....3rd party browsers are helpful but they can also be clunky....Congrats on getting the iphone4 I should be getting mine in a few weeks....

06-30-10 04:18 PM
    Why are you posting using your BlackBerry then, if it's so slow?

My point is, browsing on the iPhone isn't as profoundly different as it once maybe was, compared to an S2 with latest / hybrid OS.

More and more sites are moving toward "mobile-ready" devices, as it's useless to try and read anything in full page view on anything less than a netbook or iPad. So, while full-page browsing *might* load faster in Safari ( vs BlackBerry native browser, but not so compared to 3rd party BlackBerry browsers ), it is essentially a bunk argument, since most surf the the web to "read" or "watch", not to look at "page layout".

I also have an iPhone 4 coming shortly for work. I do appreciate your input -- I simply believe that the "fanboiness" you see with iPhones "being better" is just that, a subjective opinion based in rudimentary levels of thinking.

Apple excels at making "appliance" technology for the masses to use. On the flip side, I hope BlackBerry is smart enough to start appealing to those masses, as well.
    Denying that rim is FAR behind with respect to browsing is just as "fanboyish". That said, rim is FAR behind with respect to browsing. And apps. And hardware.

06-30-10 04:19 PM

I beg to differ on your statement. Just in the fact you are aware of "mobile sites" with the BB so that you can have usable speeds, I have found I don't have to "think" about what I am doing on the Web with the iPhone. Safari renders pages better and faster then the my Storm in a way I can forget about the fact I am surfing on a cell phone. Yes, I can do this a little with 3rd party app browsers, but it isn't the same IMO.
    No, I'm not an Apple fanboy, just saying how I find both of my phones.
    06-30-10 05:07 PM
    Denying that rim is FAR behind with respect to browsing is just as "fanboyish". That said, rim is FAR behind with respect to browsing. And apps. And hardware.

I didn't "deny that RIM is far behind with respect to browsing". I was simply making a statement that my browsing SPEEDS are not any slower on either of the two devices, from my experience, and in fact the S2 hybrid was a faster and more consistent experience. There's no denying AT&T's connectivity is behind Verizon's.

I did state that rendering browser objects were better on the iPhone. RIM is behind on apps, BUT most of the functional apps that most people use are readily available on multiple platforms, including RIM and work well.
    06-30-10 05:35 PM
    I beg to differ on your statement. Just in the fact you are aware of "mobile sites" with the BB so that you can have usable speeds, I have found I don't have to "think" about what I am doing on the Web with the iPhone. Safari renders pages better and faster then the my Storm in a way I can forget about the fact I am surfing on a cell phone. Yes, I can do this a little with 3rd party app browsers, but it isn't the same IMO.
    No, I'm not an Apple fanboy, just saying how I find both of my phones.
    The mobile sites are for readability purposes because of the relative size of the on-screen font. Again, when people surf, they usually are looking to actually "read" or "watch" -- like crackberry, gizmodo, tmz, yahoo news, whatever, and less to look at an entire page. Safari does render full pages better and sometimes faster, but once you have the full page up, you have to zoom in and pan several times to just read -- instead of setting your BB browser to column view, and being able to read normal sized fonts out of the gate. I don't like 3rd party browsers either ( with exception to skyfire on winmo ), and I've tried all of the major ones for the berry.
    06-30-10 05:41 PM
    Try loading a page not made for a mobile device...since a lot of those exist, I find myself being unable to load them at all on my phone or that it'll take forever.

And posting on forums that don't have a mobile friendly site? Forget it.

Besides, my phone just pulled a first, it rebooted WHILE rebooting.

I seriously think my S2 knows I'm about to get rid of it...because it's been littered with problems since I wanted a Droid X...or maybe its because the latest official OS for this phone is a steaming pile.
    sounds like mine too i cant wait to get the droid x
    06-30-10 06:06 PM
    I just jumped in here on this convo...but I gotta say I am impressed with the s2 browser speed. Its not as bad as some are making it. I have the official .607 and it loads great on it. No, not iphone speed but its not that far behind. I've tested numerous sites vs iohone and I gotta be honest, it holds its own better than I would have thought originally.

06-30-10 06:52 PM
    Yes, isn't that a joke? I can't believe they can't design one iPhone that can serve as a reliable phone. Apple is a joke, Steve Jobs is a man-child of a CEO, he will just get mad and say "Nobody makes phone calls anymore, give me a break".
    06-30-10 08:24 PM
    Hello? Give a break here...

The 1st poster did a non-bias comparision. For all we know.. i4g is a very much newer phone than our dear storm2. Just like these days pp prefer fly airbus 380 but there's still some pp who fly the old boeing 744!

The fact that a storm2 can possibly do some tasks better than i4g....thats no doubt! The M16 rifle is old, not having any special built-in scope, sensor, laser, silencer etc but in some ways.. its still the most reliable rifle/machine gun in the world! Just like the AK47 built by russian..laugh at it but pp are still using it!

And shame to those of you who complaint about your bb browser speed slows etc... please go read up and get an understanding how the bb service works and also how your local network works before you compare bb with other phone browser. Why u think we have 3G/EDGE/GRPS/3g/gprs/edge/CDMA/ 4 little bbdot etc networks? Why when we shut down our phone networks, turning on WIFI, we are still able to use our BBM, pushmails etc under backend BIS/BES?

in most simple scenario....i4g or even droid doesnt goes thru any 3rd party servers for authentication. in OUR case, our dear bb goes thru the 3rd party servers which we all know is the BIS/BES servers else how you think we get all the good fast reliable push mails? Try getting push from other phones and see if they give you a better result!

If thats the case, then jump ship by all means! I wish all of you happy forever with your new ip4 or droid phones! seriously!!! You paid for it and its your new happiness and problems ahead if any.

So get your facts right....we should appreciate the bb technology here. If you just need a better browser or fast surfing experience then bb is not for you. Can't you just wait a little moment? knowing that behind your browser loading.. there are still some loyal bbm or bb mails coming thru into your phone?

Who knows? if one day our dear s.jobs follow bb and come up with their own apple internet server/apps enterprise server aks AIS/AES! Thats so cool and more money rolling in for apples ya?

sorry if i got the above facts wrong...cuz i am now a die hard bb user and especially i love my storm2 so much...and i hope one day your local telco shutdown their bis/bes servers or bb related networks for 1 hour and you will feel the pinch and understand how bb works.

ps... all those who are dumping your storm2... can you do some charity? give it away! give it to me can? since you hate it so much.. i willing to pay the few ten bucks shipping...dont waste the phone ya? much appreciated for your kindness.
    Last edited by titusilvering; 06-30-10 at 09:28 PM.
    06-30-10 09:04 PM
    Why are you posting using your BlackBerry then, if it's so slow?.....
    just to point something out... if you post from the touch it still says posted from my crackberry.
    06-30-10 10:11 PM
    The iPhone browser definitely kicks BB browsers azz and the iPhone is visually stunning too. But otherwise I'm a lot more interested and impressed with currwnt and upcoming Android devices, as well as the Storm 3. That said, we have an old iPhone 3G that has about had it abd needs to be replaced. If VZW gets an iPhone within the next six months or so we will get another one. If not then it will be replaced by Android.

06-30-10 10:16 PM
    it's a coworker's. i gotta say, while the touchscreen is smooth, and it is a GREAT form factor, and the web browser renders elements slightly better, I think I'll keep my trusty Storm 2.

Screen is MUCH brighter on the S2. Yes, the text is a slight bit sharper on the iphone, but it's not any sharper than my old Bold 9000. Browser tests I did to sites like news.yahoo.com and news.google.com, there was no discernable difference in browsing speeds, and in fact, Verizon's network performed consistently better. I kept having to reload the pages on the iphone, because it would often stall. I'm running OOAK's hybrid 713/74x on my S2.

If I look at my phone's usage overall, probably 60% is mixed phone / browser use, with 40% messaging, and you can't beat a BlackBerry with its messaging prowess. After playing around with the iphone extensively, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what BlackBerry churns out with the next OS iterations and hw variants.

Just thought I'd pass along that info to any potential iphone shoppers.
    Keep "playing". When you need to get some work done, get out the BB. Whichever model
    06-30-10 10:34 PM
    Just make sure dont press the ip4 too hard til its legendary helicopter? super duper durable screen cracks cuz it aint got any surepress!!! wahahaha
    06-30-10 10:38 PM
178 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD