so, I played with an iphone last night for the first time. Cool toy. but I have to say the thing that pissed me off the most vs my storm. Browser and video player made my storm look like a malfunctioning POS. Please tell me that it's my phone and I can send it back for a replacement that will work properly, or is it all storms? The picture gets pixelized, the screen freezes, it keeps buffering.

This was going onto youtube on both my storm and my buddies iphone. Same spot, both with full service. I've done some apple bashing in my day, and granted, there are features that the storm has that the iphone dosen't, but just the browser and media expierence kinda set me off.

so is it my phone, or is the iphone that much better in that area?

and no I will not give up my BB for an iphone!!!!!
    05-22-09 04:25 PM
    so, I played with an iphone last night for the first time. Cool toy. but I have to say the thing that pissed me off the most vs my storm. Browser and video player made my storm look like a malfunctioning POS. Please tell me that it's my phone and I can send it back for a replacement that will work properly, or is it all storms? The picture gets pixelized, the screen freezes, it keeps buffering.

This was going onto youtube on both my storm and my buddies iphone. Same spot, both with full service. I've done some apple bashing in my day, and granted, there are features that the storm has that the iphone dosen't, but just the browser and media expierence kinda set me off.

so is it my phone, or is the iphone that much better in that area?

and no I will not give up my BB for an iphone!!!!!
    The issue is not the phone. It's the caarrier. I was in Europe a while back and the Storm worked great. I've bee reading that VZW and ATT are looking at setting up 4G like in Europe. IF this is the case then all phones will work better.
    05-22-09 04:33 PM
    Youtube only streams to storm with the same pos 3gp feed that it does to dumbphones. It's a crappy feed. The iphone gets its own special stream to display a higher quality version akin to what you see on your computer.

Try watching a MOVIE on the storm vs ipod and see how it goes. Youtube is a joke

(yes the storm's browser is slow. If you want a fast browser, and smooth GUI get the iphone, if you want to actually be able to SEARCH through your phone, send mms, video recording, play around with the OS, use themes, push email, and have a phone using blackberries incredible infrastructure... sstick with the storm) It's a matter of what you're looking for in a phone.
    05-22-09 04:40 PM
    Your buddy's iPhone wasn't on WiFi at the time by chance, was it?
    05-22-09 04:46 PM
    I know the bb is (or at least will be) a much better product than the iphone. and I'm not bashing the storm, just frustrating, I'm sure we've all been there. wifi wasnt in use as he doesn't have a network at his house. I'm not going to trade for an iphone, even if one was given to me, just kinda p'd me. Kinda frustrating how RIM and VZW have taken their sweet time with us. I'm wondering if they even care anymore or are just focusing on the next gen storm. that's a valid question i think???
    05-22-09 04:59 PM
    I know the bb is (or at least will be) a much better product than the iphone. and I'm not bashing the storm, just frustrating, I'm sure we've all been there. wifi wasnt in use as he doesn't have a network at his house. I'm not going to trade for an iphone, even if one was given to me, just kinda p'd me. Kinda frustrating how RIM and VZW have taken their sweet time with us. I'm wondering if they even care anymore or are just focusing on the next gen storm. that's a valid question i think???
    I think the next gen storm is going to be MUCH more similar to the current storm than ppl are assuming (just my speculation)

I'm not saying DONT trade for an iphone, they do what they do very well, great media, nice, smooth as silk interface, TONS of apps and games that the storm just cant touch.

It's just about what you want to see in your mobile experience. There's nothing wrong with wanting an iphone over a storm, i was just trying to explain why the youtube vids blow on the storm
    05-22-09 05:02 PM
    i hear ya, but I use my phone for a lot more than media. I have an ipod for for media stuff, just waiting so I can ditch the ipod all together. just FYI, the ipod was a gift. I still don't want to give money to apple!!!
    05-22-09 05:07 PM
    I agree. The Storm 2 wont be much different OS wise then the S1 is, no doubt.
    05-22-09 05:12 PM
    the thing ya gotta remember is THATS the differences in the phones in respect to what they were designed for. the iPhone was designed to be a multimedia 'genius' if you will, and eye candy. blackberry's are designed for productivity in business form, however the everyday consumer is catching onto the idea of push email cuz so many people live by email these days.

the iPhone being on AT&T makes it weak in the phone category cuz of the wonderful service they have. i cant count the number of times ive had people tell me they wish they had gone with VZW...that the iPhone wasnt worth it.

dont be ill dude. you aint missin much. my nephews both have iPhones and they actually loved my Storm.
    05-22-09 10:18 PM
    i agree, load a movie on the memory card and watch it and compare that to anything the iphone can play. especially if its a high res video. the iphone can't keep up with screen res that the storm has. it's a joke!
    05-22-09 10:37 PM
    I'm surprised you even got YouPube to work. I think I have about a 1 in 10 chance of something even coming through.

As for the buffering, the iPhone will too if the connection isn't good enough. The iPhone can have a slower browsing experience too, based on location. Sounds like you had more of a case of AT$T had better service than VZW in that spot. It's rare, but it happens!
    05-23-09 01:20 AM
    ive owned both an iphone and have since come back to the world of blackberry and i promise you, the berry is a much better device overall. the main reason i believe is multitasking and customization. if the iphone could run more than one app at a time then the UI would be choppy and its browser would be affected noticeably. Don't get me wrong, i have an ipod and love it, for my media. When i need a phone that will actually make and HOLD a call for more than 30 secs ill take my BB hands down. the only thing i really miss is i wish i could sync my podcasts to my storm easier instead of having to pull out my ipod to watch them on the smaller screen. no biggie though. Is the iphone a nice toy? yeah. Is the browser great? yeah. Can you send mms, at least right now? no. can you add folders and organize apps and other things on the fly without a computer connection? not unless jailbroken. themes? nope. switch between apps without going to the home screen first? nope. Efficient (sp) email management? not in my opinion. sorry i have a list a mile long if you cant tell lol. ill stop now
    05-23-09 01:31 AM
    Wakebrdr,

You've highlighted some of the weaknesses of the Storm. It's browser is simply light years behind the iPhone. Not only does it take longer to load pages and run scripts, it also doesn't zoom and pan as smoothly or easily as the iPhone's. The net result is that browsing the web on the Storm is a chore...I only do it if I absolutely HAVE to. Meanwhile on the iPhone it is a pleasure.

As for the video playback, I think in terms of playback they are similar. The iPhone does have a better youtube feed.

The Storm definitely has a lot of potential...but I am skeptical that it will ever be fulfilled. I think this is as good as it's going to get.
    05-23-09 01:38 AM
    It will be really hard to bash on a BB, On a forum that is truly dedicated to anything and everything BB LOLOL.
    I'm new here, I'm a former Iphone user. Bought a Blackberry because my Iphone was stolen Didn't want to spend another 500+ on another Iphone. So I spent 600+ on my BB-Bold LOL, go figure! I'm wired like that. Either way I would have had to spend an arm n a leg as I already have a contract and can't renew it.
    I think comparing the Iphone & my BB-Bold is kindna hard to do. As each phone has it's Pro's & Con's. IMHO it just boils down to what you want from your Phone.
    I'm a die hard Fan of the Iphone, I feel like I can do so but so much with it. The App's are amazing on the Iphone. And if Jail broken They are all FREE! and It's potential is Unlimited, Again that's just MO.
    I must admit something about my BB-Bold. I HATED IT at first!!!!! I was very very disappointed the first 2 day's. But after spending endless amounts of time on this forum and all over the web. Today Day '3', I have to admit that the BOLD is not as bad as I thought it was. I'm really really likein it! I understand now why there is so many BB fans out here! I can only hope that I can grow into the BOLD. It has alot of potential. I will truly love it more when I can figure out an amazing Internet browser That isn't so freaking slow!!! LOL
    Enuff rambling, didn't know I could type so much & so fast on my Bold LOL.
    05-23-09 01:55 AM
    i currently have both devices, had a storm since 12-08, and an iPhone for 3 days, and for ME, the iPhone is a much better and much more satisfying experience.
    Browser, youtube, facebook, txting, and media are the most important features to me, and in these areas the iPhone obliterates the BB storm.. believe me you can FLY on an iPhone keyboard if you are semi-accurate. i only require that my emails get to my phone at some point and its realy no big deal, just need updates from my school and such. The big negative (and really only negative for me) on the iPhone is AT&T service, which is def questionable.. but with wifi and a fast 3g, the iPhone is faster than my storm in 9 0f 10 situations WHERE I LIVE... there's no need to hate on the iPhone its a truely revolutionary and amazing device. and no excuses from RIM about the screen not being usable, the 1st iPhone's touchscreen was almost perfect RIM shouldve done their homework..
    05-24-09 06:04 PM
    plus we get multi tasking and a REAL date on an OS update with 3.0....verizon needs to push out an official update like months ago. when the new software comes out idk if there will even be a comparison between the 2 phones anymore... sorry guys i just love the iPhone that much..
    05-24-09 06:07 PM
    plus we get multi tasking and a REAL date on an OS update with 3.0....verizon needs to push out an official update like months ago. when the new software comes out idk if there will even be a comparison between the 2 phones anymore... sorry guys i just love the iPhone that much..
    The Iphone is just an amazing Phone IMO. I love it! I'm getting the hang of the Bold, And its a cool phone with potential.
    I found my very first 3g Black Iphone, I'm Jail breaking it as i type this. I'm not giving up the Bold I'm just going to rock the Iphone for Wifi surfing My cool FREE app's and for it's Ipod feature.
    I like the Bold's look, I feel Important with it LOLOL! And what I truly love about the BB-Bold is how freaking complicated it is LOL.
    05-24-09 07:28 PM
    i'm curious to see how the iphone hardware handles the multi-tasking, and if they really get "TRUE" multi-tasking, more than two apps, any apps you want...i have a feeling apple will have some limitations on their "upgrades"....they're tricky like that.
    05-24-09 07:33 PM
    hah more than likely but ill be happy if i can talk and txt at the same time.. so my expectations arent too high.. but its so smooth i hope it wont slow down or be laggy, i doubt apple would let that happen
    05-24-09 08:00 PM
    I think it has to do more with network. I had the same problem with my samsung i760 smartphone. EVDO is slow compared to wifi. However, when I was in an area with a strong signal, it was much quicker. At my house where I have 2 to 3 bars at best, browsing on the samsung or my Storm is slow.
    05-24-09 08:10 PM
    hah more than likely but ill be happy if i can talk and txt at the same time.. so my expectations arent too high.. but its so smooth i hope it wont slow down or be laggy, i doubt apple would let that happen
    agreed. it's the main thing the phone has going for it IMO...aside from exclusive apple syncing and compatibility...
    05-24-09 08:56 PM
    Both have good and bad points - swings and roundabouts!
    05-25-09 06:47 AM
    Well my browser is superfast on my Storm. I've upgraded the OS and my Storm has been great since. I'm on .148 now and I'm satisfied. Youtube videos run fine on my Storm too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD