Hello, new to the forums and read most of the pages from this thread. I have a few questions. What is the reason for unlocking a phone? I think it is so you can move it from one provider to the next, but are there any other benefits? How do I get Opera as my web browser? I checked the BB App Store and the CB App Store but could not find it. I am on .148 and am thinking about moving to .151
    08-25-09 08:50 PM
    Hello, new to the forums and read most of the pages from this thread. I have a few questions. What is the reason for unlocking a phone? I think it is so you can move it from one provider to the next, but are there any other benefits? How do I get Opera as my web browser? I checked the BB App Store and the CB App Store but could not find it. I am on .148 and am thinking about moving to .151
    Unlocking will let you use your Storm on any GSM network, however in the US it does not have the GSM 3G frequencies. As a Verizon customer your only benefit to unlocking would be when you go to sell it, it gives you access to more potential customers, and can possibly more money.

Opera Mini....

Opera Mini | The most popular mobile phone browser in the world

I'm a big fan of 151, it handles memory much better than any other version out there. HOWEVER many themes do not work on it, but in my opinion it's worth the trade-off.
    08-26-09 12:46 AM
    Thanks. Since I do not have any themes I won't be missing anything. So when loading a beta OS, the suggestion is to use the PC and not do it from the phone?
    08-26-09 12:58 AM
    For other vendor OSs or leaks you must use the pc. Follow tip 8 on the first post in this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 01:13 AM
    I am getting the message that says that I have a SIM card installed (unlocked with both Ver/T-Mo) and if I want the phone to choose which network to sign-on to.
    Is there a option to turn that off.
    I am on Ver most of my computing time but do switch due to My Fave needs.
    Does anyone know if there is or where the setting to turn this off?
    Thanks
    08-26-09 06:33 AM
    I am getting the message that says that I have a SIM card installed (unlocked with both Ver/T-Mo) and if I want the phone to choose which network to sign-on to.
    Is there a option to turn that off.
    I am on Ver most of my computing time but do switch due to My Fave needs.
    Does anyone know if there is or where the setting to turn this off?
    Thanks
    I believe the setting you want is under Options, Mobile Network, Network Technology. You can set it for Global which is GSM (tmo) or CDMA (Verizon), GSM/UMTS which is GSM only (tmo), or 1XEV which is CDMA only (verizon).
    08-26-09 07:49 AM
    I believe the setting you want is under Options, Mobile Network, Network Technology. You can set it for Global which is GSM (tmo) or CDMA (Verizon), GSM/UMTS which is GSM only (tmo), or 1XEV which is CDMA only (verizon).
    Thank you for your replay.
    I am interested in getting rid of the message at startup:
    "Device has found that a SIM card in installed do you want the phone to choose which network to sign-on to."

Isn't there an option to stop this message from appearing after every battery pull?
    08-26-09 08:06 AM
    Please help!

In the middle of text messaging, making a phone call, going through different menus, pretty much at any random minute, the screen turns black and the red light blinks. It stays black for about a minute, then the screen turns bright white with the clock in the middle - as if it is rebooting. I need for this to stop as it happens in the most inopportune times and is unusable for roughly 5 minutes.

When the phone finally turns back on, a screen pops up stating, "Uncaught Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException." I have to click "OK" to be able to use the phone again. It is seriously irritating!

Can someone please give me step by step directions on how I might fix this! This is my first blackberry, so you may have to treat me like a kindergardener!
    08-26-09 06:12 PM
    It sounds like you have something corrupted in the OS. Try simply hooking up to DM and allowing it to scan your device (will do this automatically when connected). You should have a window pop up telling you to "upgrade" certain components. Allowing it to run should "repair" whatever has become corrupted. Simply follow the prompts.

If that doesn't do the trick, you may need to wipe and reload the OS, which is a little more involved. Try the first option, and come back or shoot me an email at [email protected] if that didn't work. I'll walk you through the wipe and reload procedure.
    08-27-09 11:47 AM
    hey guys got a question I was wondering is there a new upgrade on the OS for the storm I am using v4.7.0.148. I was reading thru some threads and it said it was a 5.0 OS but it was in Chinese. Can u let me know? Thanks.
    08-27-09 02:58 PM
    hey guys got a question I was wondering is there a new upgrade on the OS for the storm I am using v4.7.0.148. I was reading thru some threads and it said it was a 5.0 OS but it was in Chinese. Can u let me know? Thanks.
    DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!!! Stay away from the 2 5.0 leaks, 2 version of it have leaked from that chinese site 5.0.0.140 & 5.0.0.154. 140 is ok, but 154 is a real turkey. Best thing out there right now is the 4.7.0.151 release from a Mexican carrier. I have it on my list of OS's for download on the first post in this thread. 151 handles memory much better than any other version, the OS responce time is pretty fast and it has these neat transitions between screens. The only downside to 151 is that many themes do not work with it. But if you don't mind giving up your themes it's the way to go.
    08-27-09 03:04 PM
    Hey guys have u heard of an app called logmaid? Is it good and has anybody heard of or have problems with this app? Thanks
    08-27-09 03:04 PM
    Yea logmaid is a good app it's transparent, and small. It's helps keep your log clean and frees up a little bit of memory...

logMaid - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    08-27-09 03:09 PM
    DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!!! Stay away from the 2 5.0 leaks, 2 version of it have leaked from that chinese site 5.0.0.140 & 5.0.0.154. 140 is ok, but 154 is a real turkey. Best thing out there right now is the 4.7.0.151 release from a Mexican carrier. I have it on my list of OS's for download on the first post in this thread. 151 handles memory much better than any other version, the OS responce time is pretty fast and it has these neat transitions between screens. The only downside to 151 is that many themes do not work with it. But if you don't mind giving up your themes it's the way to go.
    Hey thanks I am downloading the 151 as we speak...
    08-27-09 03:10 PM
    Yea logmaid is a good app it's transparent, and small. It's helps keep your log clean and frees up a little bit of memory...

logMaid - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    Hey thanks again on the info on the logmaid.
    08-27-09 03:11 PM
    I would like to thank you pkcable for all the information and you taking the time to share this with us all. I really appreciate it, eazye666 (Eric)
    08-29-09 11:39 AM
    goodmorning people question I just saw on crackberry that there is a new OS 5.0 for the storm is this the sameone that you (P.K.) told me to stay away from or is this different? Thanks
    08-30-09 10:43 AM
    When using my phone function somehow the phone thinks a headset is being used and I have to go into the menu and tell it to activate handset. I've tried looking through the menus to set a preference and have done a battery pull but it hasn't helped. Any ideas?
    08-30-09 01:21 PM
    goodmorning people question I just saw on crackberry that there is a new OS 5.0 for the storm is this the sameone that you (P.K.) told me to stay away from or is this different? Thanks
    Morning Rickray89, the new 5.0 leak, 5.0.0.191, is different from the one you were previously warned against. I actually loaded this one, and it seems to be very solid. However, there are some major drawbacks to it, as the camera/videocamera do not work (causes a device reset on opening), the leaked BBM 5.0 is not compatible (old 4.7 BBM still works) and the usual incompatibility with RIM apps (Facebook, MySpace). Other than that, I have been running it for two days now with no major issues. If the above issues aren't concerns for you, you may want to give it a shot. This release also includes flick scrolling and threaded SMS, which are big plusses for some.

Hope that answered your question. As always, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    08-31-09 10:05 AM
    When using my phone function somehow the phone thinks a headset is being used and I have to go into the menu and tell it to activate handset. I've tried looking through the menus to set a preference and have done a battery pull but it hasn't helped. Any ideas?
    This is not a "default setting" that has been changed. For whatever reason, some devices seem to occasionally get hung up oon headset mode. The only fix I have currently seen that has displayed any kind of success is to take a headset and repeatedly pulg/unplug it until the device recognizes that there is no longer a headset attached.
    08-31-09 10:08 AM
    I was wondering if there is a way I can check my Outlook email on my Storm. I cannot use the Blackberry servers to check the email accounts because they do not want the storage of user/pass info on the Blackberry servers. I am just trying to check my AKO mail, and outlook works on my computerso I was thinking it would work on the Storm to. Anyone have any ideas about a solution or anything to point me in the right direction?
    08-31-09 03:38 PM
    When you say "Outlook email", do you mean Outlook Web Access through Microsoft Exchange? I am a little confused as to what you are trying to accomplish, as you say you can't set up the account on BIS due to "them" not wanting user/password info on RIM's servers, yet that is the only way to set up an account on your BB. What type of account is AKO mail? POP3 or IMAP? Are you on a BES?

More info will be helpful in finding a solution.
    08-31-09 06:44 PM
    Well I meant is there a way I can check the email on my BB like I do using Outlook 2007 on my desktop. The Army will not allow us to use BIS to check out AKO accounts through BIS because BB stores the user info there and I guess its against security. AKO is IMAP. And I am not on a BES. Anymore information you need just let me know.
    08-31-09 09:15 PM
    I need something that stores the user info on the BB itself and doesn't store it on the BB servers and push the email to the BB. Make sense?
    08-31-09 09:16 PM
    So if I do something wrong, sorry. This site is so big & confusing but this thread looked like some place I could get help. I have the BBstorm with Verizon. I am just starting to figure out how to convert videos & transfer audiobooks. I can transfer audiobooks without problem. Now that I have converted videos to 3g, I can't figure out how to get my computer to recognize the phone as devices with removable storage instead of just a phone. Some how I got it to do it last night & transfered a video just for a test. It worked. Now I can't get back to the place that lets me transfer. When my computer recognizes the phone as a Blackberry the only thing that shows up in the media care is Music. No Videos, photos nothing. I figure it is something simple I am missing. But What??
    Thanks
    Laura
    08-31-09 09:18 PM
679 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD