Is the app phoneface any good? i mean this is an app i have wanted but i just dont know if i want it for 10 bucks... which sounds bad but i just wanted any input from anyone who has seen/used it????
    12-25-08 02:06 AM
    I tried it, but didn't find it to be quite as useful as I wanted. It did successfully pull down some pictures off Facebook for me for some contacts, but only for contacts with names that only had one match in my Facebook friends. For example, if I had someone named "Joe" in my phone book, and had more than one person named Joe in my FB friends, it would punt and say it couldn't do it. Eventually I hope someone puts out a good app that lets you just do this easily.

You can install the trial version of Phoneface if you want to try it out - no need to spend money before deciding you like it.
    12-25-08 12:20 PM
    What does it do? I've been looking for something that is a quick speed dial app with peoples pics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 06:39 PM
    What does it do? I've been looking for something that is a quick speed dial app with peoples pics.

Well then your in luck! That's exactly what this program does . .Minus the quick part
    12-25-08 06:57 PM
    Anyone else try this app?

12-25-08 07:01 PM
    sorry... bump.

Has anyone else tried this app??
    12-27-08 03:03 PM
    I used PhoneFace through the entire trial period and I am probably going to purchase it. As someone else mentioned, it successfully grabs pictures off of the Facebook, which is pretty great alone. It even updates the picture off the Facebook automatically (I think). The app is integrated with the native BB contact function, so the pictures get attached to the contact and will display when the contact calls you, or while your in a call, etc.

I find it pretty quick and helpful - with basically two clicks you can be placed in a call, be set up for texting, or be set up for Emailing.

My ONLY problem is the scrolling (flicking) left and right from one contact to another within the app does not work very well for me. I think I just need to spend more time with it.

Give the trial a go and see what you think...
    12-28-08 03:27 PM
    Does it slow down the phone ?
    12-28-08 06:10 PM
    I like the concept, but, I'm checking to see if this is causing my memory to drop drastically -- it's the only new program I've put on in the past 3 days, and suddenly the free memory is dropping somewhat significantly (not saying for sure this is the culprit, but I am investigating).

The concept is fine.. it's actually a bit refreshing to have a quick way (using the convenience key) to get to a call or text, but the program obviously was not designed for the storm, and if feels very much like they just emulated trackball motions to the touchscreen and called it a day. Not to say it's bad (it isn't) or doesn't work (it does) but it doesn't have the polish of what you'd expect from a storm app.

I did email them and offer some suggestions as to what I thought would really make this program top-notch. I think it'd be extremely useful to be able to set "text mobile" as the default highlight option (I do probably 100 texts for every 1 call I make). It'd also be nice to, if you want, not get a list of options but be able to preselect if I want to call/text/whatever when I click a contact. Finally, if they designed this specifically with the storm in mind, they could add 2-4 icons below each contacts picture that would be call/text/email/whatever which would make the program significantly more user-friendly.

If they were to do any of the above, I'm sold. As it is, I'm on the fence if I'm willing to spend money on the program or not. Still, give it a try. Free for 7 days I think, and it really isn't a bad little proggy.

=========

*soapbox rant* ... this program is smart enough to realize I'm not about to SMS Text a Home or Office number, and doesn't even offer that choice. Why oh why does the native blackberry messaging not have that? If I say I want to compose an SMS text, of course it's going to the mobile number! Waste of a step to make me pick from a list of options when I'd never use the others anyways.

*end rant*
    12-28-08 07:10 PM
    I tried this as well but deleted it since I did not find it very helpful in terms of speeding up my calling and texting. What I'm looking for is like several apps on the iPhone that have a simple screen with maybe 4-16 pictures in a grid layout that pop up when you open the program and each picture is a different contact. This would be much quicker than scrolling through a list, which is basically the same thing as scrolling through my contacts list. As mentioned before, you could set each contact to preselect to call or text to a specified number, I hate how the Storm always asks me which number I want to text someone. Very bothersome when you are doing multiple texts throughout the day.
    12-29-08 01:20 AM
    I tried this as well but deleted it since I did not find it very helpful in terms of speeding up my calling and texting. What I'm looking for is like several apps on the iPhone that have a simple screen with maybe 4-16 pictures in a grid layout that pop up when you open the program and each picture is a different contact. This would be much quicker than scrolling through a list, which is basically the same thing as scrolling through my contacts list. As mentioned before, you could set each contact to preselect to call or text to a specified number, I hate how the Storm always asks me which number I want to text someone. Very bothersome when you are doing multiple texts throughout the day.
    I'm looking for the exact same thing!
    12-29-08 09:05 AM
    Wonder how hard that would be to code, I suck at graphics, but triggering email/phone app is simple enough.

Update 1: well it's also trivial to grab address book info + pics from the address book, the question now is how to display that in a useful manner

Also anyone else wanting this, do you just want it for calls, or your typical pop-up about email, PIN, SMS, MMS?
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-29-08 at 10:05 AM.
    12-29-08 09:22 AM

Also anyone else wanting this, do you just want it for calls, or your typical pop-up about email, PIN, SMS, MMS?
    I know everyone has different priorities, but I probably do 100 texts for every 1 call I make. Personally what I'd look for in any "shortcut" app would be for the ability to get straight into an SMS (PIN would be nice too, I guess). If you really want it to be as robust as possible, allow for the user to decide what they want the default choice to be, and then everyone can set it up as best applies to them (call/sms/email/etc). The trick then, is to make the shortcut app have absolutely as few clicks/time needed to get to what you want compared to doing it through the Storm's UI.
    12-29-08 10:30 AM
    Well my first priority is making a custom button (somehow) using the images from the phone book, I was sort of jumping the gun a bit before, but that will come soon enough if I can get the custom button code to show etc.
    12-29-08 10:35 AM
    woooo I just got the phone book images to display on custom buttons, not that the buttons do anything yet, but I'm impressed I got this far
    12-29-08 10:48 AM
    I bought it and love it. I call the same six people all the time. Just put pictures of them. Setup phoneface as a main icon. One click and pick the person and dial.
    12-29-08 11:57 AM
    PocketdayStart is a good choice
    For quick dialing as well

12-29-08 12:24 PM
    Like was said before, it would be best if you could choose, or perhaps let me put two icons for the same person (Text Joe, Call Joe), or wedge in both options overlayed on the same pic. And definitely have the option to set the default call or text number if you have more than one for a single contact.
    12-29-08 11:21 PM
    Like was said before, it would be best if you could choose, or perhaps let me put two icons for the same person (Text Joe, Call Joe), or wedge in both options overlayed on the same pic. And definitely have the option to set the default call or text number if you have more than one for a single contact.
    I was thinking something like when you go to compose a new message it asks for email, sms etc, and have phone at the top and so on, too many people would simply prefer things too many ways, although this could be as easy as a set of buttons at the top, "call", "message", "email" and you highlight the type of action, then the person maybe and the app keeps track of the last action and high lights that button.

Although I'm still struggling with the graphics, so it might be a day or so before I have something useful even to start looking at what you want to do, I'm still up to who you want to do something to
    12-29-08 11:46 PM
    I was thinking something like when you go to compose a new message it asks for email, sms etc, and have phone at the top and so on, too many people would simply prefer things too many ways, although this could be as easy as a set of buttons at the top, "call", "message", "email" and you highlight the type of action, then the person maybe and the app keeps track of the last action and high lights that button.

Although I'm still struggling with the graphics, so it might be a day or so before I have something useful even to start looking at what you want to do, I'm still up to who you want to do something to
    I might suggest starting a new thread if this is really going to take off? Just would hate to see the Phoneface thread hijacked too much.

So here's a mock-up of what I think might be a workable concept:

(Images all stolen from google image search)

Having icons for the actions are good in that you have clickable areas (no need for submenus) but bad in that you are limited by screen space as to how many options you have. So, in a situation like this the question might be: are three options enough? Is call/sms/email always the only three you want? Could there/should there be an option for customization? On a per-contact basis?

Anywho, I've probably already overstepped my bounds. Just tossing out ideas.
    12-30-08 12:28 AM
    New thread as per suggestion
    12-30-08 12:41 AM
    I'd like a speed dialer that is even simpler... just let me pull in a number from my address book and assign some text, or even pull the name from the address book! Put that in a scroll list with large text, and I'd be happy!
    02-27-09 07:59 PM
    Have You Tried FaceCall. I am Currently using this. It's free try it and see what you think about it. Since I can't post links. If you have a picture of that person you can call them with this app. Or you can add all contacts to facecall with or without a picture. It's pretty simple.

supportforums(dot)blackberry(dot)com/rim/board/message?board(dot)id=9500&thread(dot)id=15409

Since I can't post links. Here is the OTA Link:
    bigtincan(dot)com/misc/faceCall(dot)jad
    Last edited by cezberry; 02-27-09 at 09:13 PM.
    02-27-09 08:37 PM
    I'll give it a look...thanks!

02-27-09 09:47 PM
    I tried and purchased this app right after I got my Storm. My previous phone had something similar to this feature built into the OS (LG Dare).

This is a great program and works as advertised.

My only complaint is that when you first set up your contacts in the app, the pic that it pulls in is degraded for some reason. The only fix is to use the "change photo" feature and bring the same pic back into the program - which takes FOREVER LOL

I'm not sure if the problem is with the app or with the the beta OS's that I'm using, but it's annoying. The only bright side is that you only have to do it once...

My rating....8.5 out of 10.
    02-28-09 01:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD