Hey guys....I got the 9530 a few days ago with TELUS and im loving it so far.

The only problem I have with the BB (other than the slow OS lag) is:

-The voice quality on the phone conversations is not that great. Im coming from a samsung phone and on the samsung it was crystal clear and did not have high pitch vibration.

On my 9530, it sounds like the speaker is vibrating on high frequency..if I lower the volume it sounds better but I have go bellow half and sometimes its too low in busy places.

Is everyone experiencing this and BB's are not amazing quality phones...or do I need to do a return?

Thanks guys.
    12-14-08 11:49 AM
    I can HEAR really well on my phone, it sounds good on handset and speaker, but my problem is no one can hear me very well. So because mine sounds good on incoming audio, I would think there is a problem with yours. I have a replacement ordered for my issue.
    12-14-08 11:56 AM
    mine sounds ok too. i like the sound in calls and multimedia
    12-14-08 12:05 PM
    mine sounds ok too. i like the sound in calls and multimedia
    Its funny...i just played some MP3s on the outside speaker and it sounds amazing....BUT

when I talk to people on the handset speaker...it doesnt sounds as good...WTF is the problem?

I called TELUS...they said they never seen this problem....and they wont have replacements till January.

So...everyones handset speakers sounds amazing at all frequencies with no distortion or rattling?
    12-14-08 12:52 PM
    I am not with Telus but I have had a lot of problems with voice quality.

I called vzw tech support regarding the voice quality. It has been a problem since I purchased the phone, people complain that I sound robotic and I often find myself hanging up and using a land line. The tech told me to dial ***send each time I have a problem with voice quality over the next 5 days and they will then dispatch people to look at the network (tower signal) in each of those areas, then they will determine if it is my handset. This is of course frustrating to me because this device is supposed to function as a phone and I should not have to wait 10+ days for them to determine if my phone is defective. Of course, the 10+ days will place me outside of my worry free guarantee. I love my Storm but I am annoyed with the call quality. I never have less than 3 bars and no one can hear me, I never had this problem on my Q. Is this the normal procedure when a customer complains of issues with their call quality?
    12-14-08 02:43 PM
    While I can't say for sure, I would think if you complain of an issue BEFORE the end of your 30 day return period, and the issue is not resolved before that time passes, they will still be required to honor it as if it were under the 30 day guarantee period.

Of course I would want to get the opinion of any actual VZW CS rep's opinion on this before counting on this to be true.
    12-14-08 02:53 PM
    I thought that i was crazy at first because phone calls sounded horrible. But then others had posts like this. I ave come to the conclusion that it is not a problem with the ear piece in the phone. Because when i call my voice mail the lady who asks me to type in my password sounds awesome. Its only calls to other phones that sounds bad. What could this be? Software? Hardware? Whats the difference between calling voicemail and calling a person. Because there is definitely some kind of difference.
    12-14-08 10:01 PM
    Turn the Enhanced Audio to Boost Treble, it will make the earpiece audio sound much improved.
    12-14-08 10:05 PM
    Does anyone know if you can change the vocoder on the Storm, and if so how?

On my previous VZW i760, I could change the phone's choice of vocoder to use a different encoding, which to me at least made the voice clarity better. Currently the Storm's earpiece audio sounds too compressed, and bass/treble boost just makes it sound worse.
    12-14-08 10:07 PM
    people say i sound echoey or muffled when i use it too...

most people find it easier to understand me when i use the speakerphone mode.
    12-14-08 10:33 PM
    why are there 2 enhanced audio options in the menu? whats the difference?
    12-14-08 10:42 PM
    One is headset, one is handset... Just like they're labeled.
    12-14-08 11:11 PM
    The sound quality on mine also sounds terrible. Speaker sounds blown out and people say I sound very muffled. I am on my second storm and will be replacing it yet again.
    12-15-08 12:08 AM
    I have great sound in and out on both handset and speaker.
    Have both of them setup with treble boost or whatev.
    12-15-08 12:19 AM
    i noticed this prob right away. the 2nd day i had the phone i was on the phoen with vzw . and they dispatched me a replacement that should be arriving soon.

thats crazyness telus wolnt have replacements till jan.

but it is known. its not u or the network. i use a landline cause the call quality sucks both ways on my phone. the speaker is blown on mien i think.
    12-15-08 01:04 AM
    I called my landline and put the landline on speaker. The quality was atrocious! It was the worst I've ever heard from any cell phone. It chops off the first bit of sound when I start a statement. "Tah tah" comes through as "ah tah" and "sixteen" is "ixteen." Plus it is utterly muffled. It sounds like a cheap kid's toy walkie talkie, but worse because it drops the first bit of sound. What a piece of garbage. I have no choice but to return it, since this thread is evidence that it's a general problem with this phone. I am pissed at myself because I've always tested call quality before I chose a phone. I just forgot with the Storm.

I turned on the treble boost like Josh Moody said. I tested again. I couldn't tell if there was a difference, but I did notice that if I hold some constant vowel sounds, it doesn't play anything at all through the other end! It's like the threshold for when the phone realizes I'm talking, and transmits my voice, is set way too high. I talked to my wife and she said what I described matches like what it sounded like to her. I like the phone but none of the other stuff makes any difference if it's a no-good phone. It's going back to Verizon. POS.
    Last edited by rednukleus; 12-18-08 at 05:26 PM.
    12-18-08 05:13 PM
    go to options>mobile network >network technology

make sure its on "1xEV" only...

Take out your sim-card and leave it out, do a battery pull, when phone boots back up, do a *228, option 1

a bunch of people including myself are confirming that this some-what helps.

I had bad quality too...the last day or so has been a lot better now that I followed those instructions.
    12-18-08 05:17 PM
    I have tried the treble boost...and it helps...but I still think the quality is not par with other phones. I will be returning mine once TELUS gets stock. I just hope its new stock and not 2008 stock.
    12-18-08 10:22 PM
    go to options>mobile network >network technology

make sure its on "1xEV" only...

Take out your sim-card and leave it out, do a battery pull, when phone boots back up, do a *228, option 1

a bunch of people including myself are confirming that this some-what helps.

I had bad quality too...the last day or so has been a lot better now that I followed those instructions.
    I did this... No help at all. Verizon is sending me a new phone. Hopefully that helps. Im not giving up yet on the good ol STORM.
    12-19-08 01:06 PM
    I have the same problems. Sometimes the earpiece sounds "tinny" and vibrates a bit at any volume over half. And I just got off the phone with someone who complained that I sounded like crap. I also can verify that my coworker's Storm sounds like crap on my end almost every time I call him.

I'm updating to .83 leaked to see if it helps. I'll also try the tips posted above, but I have to get this issue fixed. This is my primary business phone and I can't afford to sound like a robot. I really don't want to send back another one (on number 2. Screen problem sent the first one back).

Man, this is a love-hate phone.
    12-19-08 02:33 PM
    I too don't think the call quality is nearly as good as my old Motorla E815 ... I am going to try what is suggested. Funny on a side note a friends says it sounds really good on speaker phone.
    12-19-08 03:10 PM
    Turn the Enhanced Audio to Boost Treble, it will make the earpiece audio sound much improved.
    How do you perform this? Everyone I talk to says my Storm sounds muffled to them.
    12-21-08 01:48 PM
    Sound on mine is good
    Last edited by stevcha; 04-12-09 at 01:32 PM.
    12-21-08 01:52 PM
    I have to say the call quality on my Storm is much better than I had with my Pearl. The main reason why I decided to keep the Storm.
    12-21-08 01:58 PM
    Once I installed the new OS I don't sound muffled anymore. I suspected it was a SW issue as my replacement was the same. I suspect the threshold on the mic was set too high causing the muffled sound.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 01:58 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD