Was the dust very easily visible with the screen off? I only saw one set of pictures. My screen looks funky but I just installed a new screen protector yesterday and I'm wondering if that's the culprit. Don't want to rip it off until I have a replacement. The spots I'm looking at shimmer kind of pink/blue/yellow if I move the phone with the back light on but I can't really figure out what the deal is. I didn't notice it until today but obviously I'm looking harder because of the new screen protector so it could have been there before. If I look hard enough with the screen off I see what looks like dust in that area but I can't really tell if it's a flaw in the protector.
    01-25-09 09:49 AM
    The only way to tell if for sure, from the sounds of it, would be to take off the protector. You will be fine with it off for a few days until you get a new one, I've been using mine with no protector for a few weeks, cause I screwed up putting on the two I had left grrr.

My old storm had dust under the screen and I could see it pretty good when the screen was off, though they didn't shimmer, they were just black/brown dots.
    01-25-09 09:55 AM
    Ok, thanks. I hate going without a screen protector, haha. This screen has never been touched without one since I got it. I just wish I liked the Verizon protectors because I'd just get that in the meantime if it is the screen cover doing it. Otherwise I'll place a new Phantom Skinz order and wait to investigate until that arrives. Haha.
    01-25-09 09:57 AM
    Ok, thanks. I hate going without a screen protector, haha. This screen has never been touched without one since I got it. I just wish I liked the Verizon protectors because I'd just get that in the meantime if it is the screen cover doing it. Otherwise I'll place a new Phantom Skinz order and wait to investigate until that arrives. Haha.
    haha I use to feel the same way, mine of course is in a case, but if you careful with it you shouldn't have any problems, is it after all glass. It's up to you though dude.
    01-25-09 10:01 AM
    Wow, why isn't Rim addressing these dust under the screen issues? It obvious to me that Rim is still manufacturing the Storm the same way. Even people who are just now getting Storms are still having dust issues. Come on Rim, just add a rubber seal or gasket around the screen to keep the dust out. This should have been done during manufacting back in December 2008. This is why I haven't and won't buy a Storm. I'll just wait for the Bold to come to Verizon. Maybe whoever is building the Storm should be building in a dust free enviroment. Maybe they should look at how Intel manufatures their chips. It's all in a dust free enviroment and they were dust free clothes as well.
    Last edited by Jrbrass; 01-25-09 at 10:23 AM.
    01-25-09 10:10 AM
    Well, it's entirely possible that this is crap that somehow got embedded in the new screen protector, since I just noticed it yesterday. But with all the dust problems I am paranoid. Not to mention now that I noticed it looks goofy it's all I can stare at on white browser pages.
    01-25-09 10:11 AM
    Alright I think I'll just take it off to satisfy my curiosity and shut myself up. Hahahah. I'll just keep particularly aware of where I put it for a few days until new covers come in. Assuming it's really not dust and doesn't need to be replaced entirely, hah.
    01-25-09 10:34 AM
    Wow, why isn't Rim addressing these dust under the screen issues? It obvious to me that Rim is still manufacturing the Storm the same way. Even people who are just now getting Storms are still having dust issues. Come on Rim, just add a rubber seal or gasket around the screen to keep the dust out. This should have been done during manufacting back in December 2008. This is why I haven't and won't buy a Storm. I'll just wait for the Bold to come to Verizon. Maybe whoever is building the Storm should be building in a dust free enviroment. Maybe they should look at how Intel manufatures their chips. It's all in a dust free enviroment and they were dust free clothes as well.
    The display on the Storm is two primary pieces that are held together with a very thin band of double-sided adhesive tape around the outer edge. The two pieces are the LCD display and the digitizer glass that you touch. I believe the two pieces are getting assembled correctly at the factories, but the band of sticky tape is so thin, both it's thickness and width, that small gaps open up because the two pieces are not perfectly flat and/or mis-alignment. Those gaps are what lets the dust enter the void between the two halves.

If you have dust it can be seen better while the display is off and you shine a bright flashlight, like and LED one, on an angle. You'll see white specs (dead skin) and fibers (lint). In most cases if you blow in gap between the display and the edge of the Storm you'll see more dust enter that space and even move around (you really don't want to do that if you're keeping that device). Or, in some cases you can tap on the glass and see the dust particles move.

There have been postings and video of people dropping their Storm and the glass digitizer pops off-- only to be attached to the Storm via the flex cable that carries the touch location signals. And other's have posted about prying the glass off carefully to blow the dust out. In both cases they simply press the two back together to re-assemble the unit. In my opinion that only lets more dirt/dust get on the seal adhesive and form a less effective bond and opening the door to more problems down the road in a few months.
    01-25-09 10:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD