how do i open pdf's on my storm? ive searched and asked in the past but whats the verdict?
    01-15-09 08:31 PM
    download BeamReader - http: //slgmobile.com/download/OS47/BeamReader.jad

remove the space between the colon and the double //

There are no free apps right now.
    01-15-09 08:42 PM
    Umm save them and open? lol
    01-15-09 08:44 PM
    WTF!! WHY are so many people having problems with this. the Storm will open PDF's OUT OF THE BOX.
    I can wipe my damn storm clean and reinstall .75 with NO 3rd party apps and open a PDF..do I need to make a how to for this lol.
    01-15-09 08:50 PM
    WTF!! WHY are so many people having problems with this. the Storm will open PDF's OUT OF THE BOX.
    I can wipe my damn storm clean and reinstall .75 with NO 3rd party apps and open a PDF..do I need to make a how to for this lol.
    This is one of the reason people are having problems opening pdf files because everyone is telling them that you can read them out of the box. This is only half right. Yes the storm can read pdfs out of the box if it is received in an email but it can't read pdfs once they are saved onto the storm. In order to do this you need a 3rd party app such as the premium edition of documents to go or beamreader.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 09:15 PM
    How are you able to open a .pdf without BeamReader. When I goto Media->BB button->explore, I then select the *.pdf and it says, "Unable to display file..." So Hawse could you explain how you do it?
    01-15-09 09:18 PM
    This is one of the reason people are having problems opening pdf files because everyone is telling them that you can read them out of the box. This is only half right. Yes the storm can read pdfs out of the box if it is received in an email but it can't read pdfs once they are saved onto the storm. In order to do this you need a 3rd party app such as the premium edition of documents to go or beamreader.

Also, the built in viewer is very primitive and is only "acceptable" on very simple pdf's.
    01-15-09 09:23 PM
    I can't open PDF attachments at all. Any ideas on how to fix that? I am running .86.
    01-16-09 06:40 AM
    I can't open PDF attachments at all. Any ideas on how to fix that? I am running .86.
    The pdf worked fine with .75, when i upgraded to .86 they stopped.
    go back to .75 and they opened again.
    something in .86 is preventing them for opening.
    01-16-09 07:07 AM
    Also, the built in viewer is very primitive and is only "acceptable" on very simple pdf's.
    I'm just not buying into all your hype. I have given these folks lots of money over the years with my 8830 and prior: always the same story on their software: lame...lame...lame.

The RIM pdf software DOES work right out of the box ! I emailed a very large pdf file to my Storm. My business associates were totally blown away by its pan, zoom, and scroll support.

You can call emailing a pdf file to your phone a restriction or half a solution if you like. Question: what does the phrase "Beam" in BeamBerry mean ? Question: are you aware of RIM's announcement on 15-jan-09 of the potential problems with pdf files in a BES environment ? Question: WHERE exactly is your pdf file - is it spread out from here to Tucumcari or just on your Storm ? Question: What is the financial exposure of BeamWho versus RIM/VZN in regard to holding YOUR info private ?

To all my friends: be very careful with your pdf files. Lots of times they contain proprietary/secret info you would not want to fall into the RONG hands! We all know about doc, xls, and ppt files and how easy they are to read and modify. We sometimes treat pdf files like they are safe - they are not safe.

Added information:

I now recant my position at least partly on the app Docs To Go. I had confused it with some prior lame offerings from other companies. How can it be crapware and pass the RIM/VZN gauntlet and be called crapware ? I had posted several questions
    about D2G, premium. I now feel like D2G is well worth the $70 - this based on actually getting it running under 4.7.0.75. With its offering of PDF To Go, I can view blueprints, well logs, and read pdf manuals - all native pdf files dragged and dropped onto my Storm from my Vista-based PC, and not emailed as attachments to my Storm. It is just not realistic to email large and or many files to an email account and then back to your Storm.

No need to remove the default app - first, register your baseline D2G app. Then just open a doc, xls, or ppt and push your BB button and get the trial version of D2G premium. When you get back to where you were with the default app on doc, xls, and ppt, THEN open a document AGAIN, push your BB button, and look to get a trial copy of PDF To Go. It is way cool. I feel comfortable with this approach based partly on the choice of VZN / RIM to included the baseline version in their first offering of Storm and partly on my somewhat limited experience with the trial premium version.

Doctor Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-21-09 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added info
    01-16-09 08:29 AM
    How's RepliGo Reader as an alternative? I have no financial or other interest in RepliGo. I just need the best PDF reader as I get lots of PDFs and I need to be able to view them. Opinions? Maybe we should have a PDF reader shootout?
    01-16-09 10:15 AM
    Once I save a file where do I go to access it?

01-16-09 12:14 PM
    I am running .86 and am able to open pdf files via email without a problem. The pdf file that I have sent myself is the pdf version of the official storm user guide from the blackberry website. As previously said, the built-in email attachment pdf reader only reads primitive pdf files.

01-16-09 04:39 PM
    Once I save a file where do I go to access it?

Open up the Media app, press the BB button, select 'Explore' from the menu list and then browse to the location you saved the file.

However, if you don't have a 3rd party pdf reader, you will be unable to open the saved pdf file.
    01-16-09 04:44 PM
    Once saved you cannot open a pdf out of the box. I just tried and it says "unable to display file"
    01-16-09 05:58 PM
    How's RepliGo Reader as an alternative? I have no financial or other interest in RepliGo. I just need the best PDF reader as I get lots of PDFs and I need to be able to view them. Opinions? Maybe we should have a PDF reader shootout?
    I tried a few of them and like RepliGo the best because it remembered what page I last was reading and the reading mode made it so I didn't have to pan and zoom around the page. I didn't buy it because I don't read PDFs often enough to justify the price. If I find myself needing a PDF reader more often I'd buy it.
    01-16-09 09:53 PM
    I tried a few of them and like RepliGo the best because it remembered what page I last was reading and the reading mode made it so I didn't have to pan and zoom around the page. I didn't buy it because I don't read PDFs often enough to justify the price. If I find myself needing a PDF reader more often I'd buy it.
    Thank you tmg8r for the response.
    01-17-09 10:18 AM
    i had a .pdf emailed to me and it opened right up with no problems! and i didn't save it first.. just opened the attachment.
    01-17-09 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD