Why is there not an Adobe made pdf reader like there is for other PDA phones? BB has got to be the at or near the top in the corporate cell phone world.
    I guess I'll try to download Beam Reader again. The last time I got it, after a few days it quit working, saying something about the beta version had expired. I though it was supposed to be a free app??

Grey
    01-09-09 01:59 PM
    Hmm. My Bold reads pdf attachments w/o any third party tools... I would have thought Storm would have the same functionality.
    01-09-09 08:49 PM
    Well, it's one of those facts Adobe would prefer people not know, but PDF is an open standard, so ANYONE should be able to implement a reader every bit as capable as what Adobe would put out. Sort of like how Foxit Reader on Windows can read every PDF except those with passwords on them, and it does so in a fraction of the space of Acrobat Reader.

And the first time you ran Beam Reader, it should have popped up with a message saying that it would expire on some date. I suspect once it leaves beta it will become a pay app, but for now you can use it for free anyway.
    01-09-09 08:53 PM
    Hmm. My Bold reads pdf attachments w/o any third party tools... I would have thought Storm would have the same functionality.
    It does. I don't have beam reader on my STORM anymore it all my PDF's open just fine. Not sure what the problem is with OP's STORM or useability.
    01-09-09 09:06 PM
    why not just use the program that came with the phone. documents to go, works for me
    01-09-09 09:13 PM
    I have to admit I sprang for docs to go and very pleased... I can read PDFs no problem, and use the excel and word to keep track of my bank accounts, etc... And I sync up with my computer... Very good purchase, albeit a tad overpriced

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 09:28 PM
    I think that I read a post some time back that people could open a pdf that was received as an email attachment. I don't know about that, because nobody ever sends me pdf's. Try copying a pdf from your PC to your Storm storage card, and then try opening it from Media Player>bb button>explore...find the file and click it. Unless you have a 3rd party app or premium Docs2Go, I bet it wont open.

Hoping I'm wrong,

Grey
    01-09-09 09:42 PM
    I have to admit I sprang for docs to go and very pleased... I can read PDFs no problem, and use the excel and word to keep track of my bank accounts, etc... And I sync up with my computer... Very good purchase, albeit a tad overpriced

You didnt have to purchase it to open PDF's...but i see you use it for other things atleast

Why are people having problems with this..ive opened plenty of PDF's no prob so far and I sure didnt install anything or pay for anything
    01-10-09 12:06 AM
    You didnt have to purchase it to open PDF's...but i see you use it for other things atleast

Why are people having problems with this..ive opened plenty of PDF's no prob so far and I sure didnt install anything or pay for anything

I thought you did have to purchase the Premium to get PDF ability on Doc2Go...
    01-10-09 12:23 AM
    You do... You can get a trial for free but yu need to pay eventually

01-10-09 12:32 AM
    Last I checked, you can open PDFs if they are attachments on an email, but not if they are saved to the storage memory or the media card. Last time I tried to save a pdf on the device from an attachment, I got an information error indicating that I'm saving a file which I won't be able to open natively on the Storm. Haven't tried it since, but I'll definitely test it again. This is one thing I don't like either and i know it wasn't available before... you could open them if they were attached, but that's it.
    01-10-09 12:35 AM
    Yes, I can open a pdf that I got as an attachment. But I wan to be able to open ones that I've copied to my storage card. They are a whole lot easier to find than an old, saved email is.

Grey
    01-10-09 01:21 PM
    I tried BeamReader and RepliGo. They both work fine but I prefer the way my Storm reads the PDF file from the email attachment right out of the box. It did need any 3rd party software so why do I waste my time with 3rd party software to do something that RIM already did very well. Why didnt they just include an option to open a stored PDFs right off of my media card.

The Storm is everything I had hoped it would be. True it is still a little buggy but so was the iphone when it was first lauched. Patches will take care of the bugs in no time. There are 2 things I do miss, the trackball for editing and cursor positioning and the keyboard for typing blind or one handed.

-J
    01-10-09 05:17 PM
    I am not understanding the posts here. I have a huge pdf file I emailed to myself as an attachment. Using ONLY what comes with the stock Storm, I can scroll, pan, and zoom this nuclear well log. My associates were totally blown away.

pdf files I encounter while surfing, I can see on my Storm, thank you.

Visualization of pdf, doc, and xls files on the Storm requires that they be cracked/formatted on a BB server. So ?

You drag and drop a pdf file to your Storm and hold your nose when he tells you you won't be able to blah, blah, blah. Send it through one of your email accounts and back to your Storm. What does it look like then ?

UPDATE:

I now recant my position at least partly on the app Docs To Go. I had confused it with some prior lame offerings from other companies. How can it be crapware and pass the RIM/VZN gauntlet and be called crapware ? I now feel like D2G is well worth the $70 - this based on actually getting it running under 4.7.0.75. With its offering of PDF To Go, I can view blueprints, well logs, and read pdf manuals - all native pdf files dragged and dropped onto my Storm from my Vista-based PC, and not emailed as attachments to my Storm. It is just not realistic to email large and or many files to an email account and then back to your Storm.

No need to remove the default app - first, register your baseline D2G app. Then just open a doc, xls, or ppt and push the BB button and get the trial version of D2G premium. When you get back to where you were with the default app on doc, xls, and ppt, THEN open a document AGAIN, push the BB button, and look to get a trial copy of PDF To Go. It is way cool. I feel comfortable with this approach based partly on the choice of VZN / RIM to included the baseline version in their first offering of Storm and partly on my very limited experience with the trial premium version.

This PM I dropped a copy of the Storm manual onto my Storm so now I can read it during downtimes.

Doctor Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-21-09 at 09:49 PM. Reason: more accurate info
    01-10-09 09:54 PM
    I aggree if you only have one or two PDFs to look at emailing them to yourself would be an option. I've got 150 stored in different folders with a html page to navigate and index them. I sure would like to be able to move the whole folder over and use my Storm like a micro-computer.

Yes I could email each one to myself but it would not make for a very organised system.

-J
    01-10-09 10:18 PM
    Get docs-to-go, worth it... Especially if you have that many files...
    01-10-09 10:20 PM
    Ive got Docs-to-Go preloaded. Unfortunatly that program does not support hyperlinks. Normally I link from one doc to the next with a nicely designed xcel control page.
    01-10-09 10:29 PM
    Well, BB can't do everything. It is after all intended to be a mobile device, and not a laptop.... I would suggest organizing into folders if possible and navigating this way...
    01-10-09 10:32 PM
    I have the Storm and I am not emailing a 13MB file just to my email so I can see it I have tons of other emails that I would have to search through just to get it. I copied it to my media card and it would not open. I will try the 2MB file but that is silly if that is the only way it works, I keep everything on my media card. I still love my Storm. Adobe should get on this!
    01-14-09 11:01 AM
    I'm using MobilePDF. Check out the download link at Rapid Share. This works great.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

You will have to unzip to install from your PC, sorry no OTA link
    01-14-09 04:55 PM
    I aggree if you only have one or two PDFs to look at emailing them to yourself would be an option. I've got 150 stored in different folders with a html page to navigate and index them. I sure would like to be able to move the whole folder over and use my Storm like a micro-computer.

Yes I could email each one to myself but it would not make for a very organised system.

-J
    Looks like you need to spring for the $70 for the premium addition of Docs 2 Go. They are saying it has a BONUS extra support for native pdf files, which is what you want, I think. Seems like when you go to CREATE a new xls, they temptivate you into a trial version.

Let me know, as I am on the fence about trying or buying the premium addition for myself. Of course, for xls, doc, and ppt files there is a work around for not creating them by just emailing blank documents to your phone one time and then.....(This does NOT seem to be in play for pdf files.)

Doctor Neutron
    01-20-09 03:29 PM
    I'm using MobilePDF. Check out the download link at Rapid Share. This works great.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

You will have to unzip to install from your PC, sorry no OTA link
    How did you get it to work?
    01-20-09 03:50 PM
    Docs-to-go full version didn't support the hyperlinks to navigate between my various documents (.doc, .xls and .pdf). Guess I can't have everything.
    03-28-09 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD