Hey guys,

sorry if this is blackberry common knowledge or if it has been answered in the past,

but can you set a password lets say everytime you click your SMS text icon, it asks you for a password in order to view your text messages?

I know your able to do it on my friends samsung flip phone so its not like its sophisticated technology lol

thanks in advance
    Last edited by stormiscoming; 01-24-09 at 04:40 PM.
    01-24-09 03:51 PM
    That would be a great feature to have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-09 04:46 PM
    You can password protect your entire device, but not just the SMS application.
    Options / Security Options / General Settings /
    Password: Enabled
    Number of Password Attempts: 10
    Security Timeout: your choice
    Prompt on Application Install: No
    Lock Handheld Upon Holstering: your choice
    Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked: No
    Content Compression: Enabled
    Content Protection: Enabled
    Strength: Strong
    Include Address Book: No

With these settings, your caller ID will still work, but if you lose your BlackBerry, no one can make calls on it and your friends' and family's personal information in your address book is protected.

Press the Escape key. You'll be prompted to enter a password and verify it. BE SURE YOU REMEMBER IT. There is no way to bypass the password on a BlackBerry. If you forget it, you will have no choice but to wipe the BlackBerry back to its factory-out-of-the-box configuration, which deletes all user data and resets the password. You can then use the phone.
    01-24-09 05:02 PM
    Yea i will love that feature for folders or apps...Cause when u have phone such as the storm or the iphone everyone wants to see it. And the first thing they click is ur SMS or Ur pics. I hate that....
    01-24-09 05:36 PM
    Yea i will love that feature for folders or apps...Cause when u have phone such as the storm or the iphone everyone wants to see it. And the first thing they click is ur SMS or Ur pics. I hate that....
    thats what im talkin about.

so annoying. its one of the things i miss on the standard flip phones where finding the text inbox was kinda hard to find instead of right in your face on the storm.

id love for an app to come out where you could password protect certain folders and be able to have your password be whatever you want but more specifically be a four digit pin number. something easy and quick to type in.

b/c when you get as many txts as me a day (a hundred or so) it would get very annoying to type in a long password everytime.

suggestion for those that agree:

its annoying and probably not worth it, but you could hide/unhide your SMS Text icon for the time being
    02-05-09 09:08 PM
    Miss this feature too...
    Had symbian phone before, with 3rd party software that done this

02-06-09 08:09 AM
    Miss this feature too...
    Had symbian phone before, with 3rd party software that done this

02-06-09 08:18 AM
    lg phones are the leader in that area. there phones did exactly what your asking. i had each and everything passworded. meaning if i got a text you needed a password to view it, same with voice mail and picture mail. my lg voyager would let you block incoming calls and messages. (so nothing comes through when you leave it laying around and the wife gets nosey). to get into the blocking feature you needed a password and no one would know that certain things were blocked. lg is very much the leader on this.
    02-06-09 08:49 AM
    lg phones are the leader in that area. there phones did exactly what your asking. i had each and everything passworded. meaning if i got a text you needed a password to view it, same with voice mail and picture mail. my lg voyager would let you block incoming calls and messages. (so nothing comes through when you leave it laying around and the wife gets nosey). to get into the blocking feature you needed a password and no one would know that certain things were blocked. lg is very much the leader on this.
    yup I had a VX8300 before my storm, you know the dark grey flip phone everyone has. and it did as you say.
    02-08-09 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD