I posted comments about 3-4 major websites having pretty much positive reviews of the Storm, and they get 1-2 replies. Threads about negative reviews from little freako geek sites get a zillion posts. Btw, Gary Krakow, the reviewer mentioned in one of my posts, is no pushover when it comes to nuance and detail. The guy publishes reviews of high-end audio equipment in the tens of thousands of dollars.

It doesn't seem to me that *any* of the complaint about the phone (other than the buttons getting ripped off by the Vodafone sleeve) are surprises. Though many of the problems reported will be improved by firmware, it won't reach it's final quality level in just a month or two.

The issues seen at the publicity events 4-6 weeks ago will still be there, just improved somewhere between a bit and a lot. Some of these complaints are probably not even valid at all. Many are complaining about the cursor being hard to move to an edit point in text. Others say it's easy once you understand the device only requires touching to move it, not pushing. The click-through feature is always going to be polarizing. As are many features of its prime competitor. I won't know about the typing until I try it. But I will try it for more than a day or two.

I also *wouldn't* expect a touch screen (which has a LOT more to process than a trackball model), that also has a 100mhz deficit to the iPhone and the Bold to be free from lag. Ever. Though much of it will be tuned out by os updates.

Me? I'm still getting one. The only question is do I wait 'til lunch and go get it at BestBuy (assuming they *do* put them out tomorrow and not Sunday) to avoid lending a multi-billion dollar company 50 bucks for 6 weeks, or do I go stand outside my local vzw store when they open. (This is not a question I'm looking for advice on, just *revealing* my decision-to-be-made.)

--bg
    11-20-08 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD