Ahoy from Panama fellow 'BB'uddies,
    HELP! I just ordered an unlocked GSM Storm 2 9550. I have read many positive and negative reviews and bblieve the phone will work bbonderfully for my needs. I am fairly confident that the phone will operate without a hitch, but have some questions for gurus, techies and world travelers.

1. Some reviews state only the Storm 2 9530 functions overseas. Does anyone know of any reasons for this 9550 not to work overseas, specifically within Panama or the cellular carrier Movistar? I do know for a fact that Movistar accepts other unlocked GSM Blackberries. It should bb as smooth as insert SIM card and go.

2. I plan to set up the BBplan/account upon my return from vacation, but I want to fully test the phone before the 30 day refund period expires. Would it confuse the 9550 to set up a BBplan/account stateside for just one month? Recommend any prepaid providers?

3. Setting up OS 5. Any recommendations for the best version to use overseas, in Panama? I am stateside and Movistar does not offer versions on their website.

A surprising majority of business people use Blackberry in the Republic of Panama. Like many other places in the world, GSM phones are commonplace. I will never acquire another CMDA phone as it infringes on freedom of choice. And NO I don't want a Droible or Ipoop, cause "What's Up" gets you no answers. It's BBM or bust bbaby.

Hopefully I'm not getting a new bad egg,

BBluno
    12-18-11 11:19 PM
    First of all, the devices are included with different frequency bands...
    When you unlock Blackberry device, such as the Blackberry 9530 you simple make it available for use with GSM use with any carrier. same about the GSM version - it will be sim free and you can insert a sim card from any carrier to your unlocked Blackberry.

You will get calls / SMS right after you put the sim card in... but the carriers are using frequency bands and the Blackberry devices comes with support of some band while other branded version of another carrier can support other bands.

You should make sure that the frequency bands your carrier using are supported with the device you are going to buy.
    12-20-11 05:12 AM
    Thanks BU710.
    I will keeps you in mind if I need to perform an unlock.

There was some glitch with my order and it got cancelled. Some call it fate others dumb luck. I just reviewed the Torch 9860 and now am debating whether or not to double up my ante, and go for the the gold.
    12-20-11 08:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD