I have reverted to my 8830 as of this morning. However this is what I have noticed:

At both VZW corporate stores I visited this am, their display models are made in Canada, and their inventory are all made in Mexico.

I brought my Mexican made Storm in because of the muffled sound the person on the other end of the phone call hears. When I placed a call from the Canadian display model to my wife, she said it sounded FAR better than my Mexican made Storm. From the exact same location in the store, I then called from my Storm just to be sure she was positive of the difference.

At that point, I did an exchange and wound up with another Mexican made storm. Went over to the same location in the store and called my wife and she said it sounded muffled again. At that point I returned my Storm and decided I will wait until I can find a Canadian made Storm.

It was also obvious to me that the Canadian display was brighter, and that the touchscreen on it had a much better and consistent click all the way around. On both Mexican Storms, the click was muted in some areas of the screen, so much so that I often wasn't sure I had clicked it. And I made sure that the display brightness were all at the same settings with the same background.

I then went to another VZW store, saw their Canadian display model which looked great and had a nice click, but had them check their inventory and all were Mexican.

I then called another VZW corporate store, and all of their inventory is Mexican as well.

I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed this horrendous difference in quality.
    02-27-09 11:39 AM
    Not sure about call quality, but I think the screen brightness might have more to do with when they were made. Mine was made in November in Mexico and is very bright, to the point that keeping it on 10 is plenty bright (and I am VERY picky) but I've read complaints of both Mexican and Canadian screens made more recently being dim.
    02-27-09 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD