I too have bought a few other cases but there's nothing out there that comes close to an OtterBox.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 06:29 PM
    Yes, the new case will be pretty much identical, just minor adjustments.
    Any hints on the design change? I presume you're going with a slightly narrower bezel around the screen with perhaps the clear plastic piece glued further away from the touch screen? (first thing I tried was loosening the plastic around the offending edges which seemed to help a little bit)...
    02-06-09 06:34 PM
    I too have bought a few other cases but there's nothing out there that comes close to an OtterBox.

Yeah i know a guy here who has one for his iPhone, and it is the coolest thing ive ever seen. The pictures on here for this case dont do it justice if it as nice as the one for the iPhone is, i want one really bad.
    02-06-09 06:41 PM
    Yeah i know a guy here who has one for his iPhone, and it is the coolest thing ive ever seen. The pictures on here for this case dont do it justice if it as nice as the one for the iPhone is, i want one really bad.
    I have an OtterBox for my older iPod, my iPod Touch, my laptop and I even bought one for my sisters BB 8830.

Yeah, the Storm looks soooo cool in the OB!

Last edited by GADGET-GEEK; 02-06-09 at 06:57 PM.
    02-06-09 06:52 PM
    I have an OtterBox for my older iPod, my iPod Touch, my laptop and I even bought one for my sisters BB 8830.

Yeah, the Storm looks soooo cool in the OB!

they have otterbox stuff for lappys? wow, im gonna go check them out. i still would do anything to grab one of these i just dont want to get one and it be a pain like it has for some others. but my replacement is coming and im trying to prevent having another dust problem.
    02-06-09 07:17 PM
    I am afraid that the clear plastic is a little too rigid to allow use of the outside edge of the screen. I don't feel it need to be further away but a more plyable type material.
    02-06-09 07:23 PM
    I am afraid that the clear plastic is a little too rigid to allow use of the outside edge of the screen. I don't feel it need to be further away but a more plyable type material.
    is that the problem everyone is having? is it difficult to type with the silicone on the screen?
    02-06-09 07:25 PM
    It's not the clear screen protector. It's the frame around the screen. It's a little too wide and your fingers don't cover enough surface area to activate the capacitive touch screen on some of the edge keys.

02-06-09 07:46 PM
    I think it was a combination of both - the frame or bezel around the screen being too wide and the clear screen protector being glued too close to the edge, not allowing it to flex enough to get close to the screen around the edge to activate it.

Removing the clear screen, pretty much eliminated the problem; but if the frame was a couple mils thinner - it would be perfect... imho of course...
    Last edited by srh_pres; 02-06-09 at 08:07 PM.
    02-06-09 07:53 PM
    Is otterbox the only case that has the screen protector?

02-06-09 08:02 PM
    I think it was a combination of both - the frame or bezel around the screen being too wide and the clear screen protector being glued too close to the edge, not allowing it to flex enough to get close to the screen around the edge to activate it.

Removing the clear screen, pretty much eliminated the problem; but if the frame was a couple mils thinner - it would be perfect... imho of course...
    The reason I'm saying its not the screen protector is because you don't actually have to click the screen to see its not sensing your finger. For instance try just hovering over one of the problem keys. If the screen senses the capacitance of your finger the key you're trying to activate turns blue before you click on the screen. Its just not sensing enough of you finger around the bezel. Give it a try.

Agreed a thinner screen frame/bezel should fix the problem. A good guide to go by is the Verizon Snap On Hard Case. You can see its much thinner and allows more finger contact on the screen.

Last edited by GADGET-GEEK; 02-06-09 at 09:28 PM.
    02-06-09 09:21 PM
    I have my otterbox and I love it. Screen works fine, takes a little getting used to, but I had it down pat in 5 minutes. This thing is great!!
    02-06-09 09:27 PM
    I have my otterbox and I love it. Screen works fine, takes a little getting used to, but I had it down pat in 5 minutes. This thing is great!!
    did you buy from crackberry store or otterbox themselves? and can someone verify for me if the case comes with the holster? it doesn't specify anywhere on there. i assume it does but dont wanna take the chance.
    02-06-09 09:49 PM
    I think it is not allowing you to hover at the edge, due to the material and the spacing of the protector off the screen, and you begin to put more pressure until it click.
    02-06-09 09:50 PM
    and can someone verify for me if the case comes with the holster?
    Yes it comes with the holster pictured on the otterbox website.
    02-06-09 09:54 PM
    did you buy from crackberry store or otterbox themselves? and can someone verify for me if the case comes with the holster? it doesn't specify anywhere on there. i assume it does but dont wanna take the chance.
    I bought it from Otterbox.com and I used the tech bargains coupon. Very happy with my order. Yes it does come with the holster, and it's sweet!
    Last edited by freebirds87; 02-06-09 at 10:17 PM.
    02-06-09 10:14 PM
    I bought it from Otterbox.com and I used the tech bargains coupon. Very happy with my order. Yes it does come with the holster, and it's sweet!
    And where can one acquire one of these coupons?

02-06-09 10:21 PM
    And where can one acquire one of these coupons?

I just used google, this is the best coupon that I can find: TECHBARGAINS20
    02-06-09 11:01 PM
    Or you can read my post in the first page of this thread
    02-07-09 12:13 AM
    Or you can read my post in the first page of this thread
    oh very cool, thanks for sharing guys and for all the information. placing order right now.
    02-07-09 12:46 AM
    Some q&d's for the heck of it...

02-07-09 08:02 PM
    Good Pics!!!
    02-07-09 09:01 PM
    I would like to take and exacto blade and cut out the clear plastic from the opening and leave it attacked so that the case isn't loose. Has anyone else done this?
    My Otterbox arrived on Friday. I like it, it will be perfect when I take it to the dragstrip this year. Same issues with the screen protector.
    I was at the Bell store today, and noticed that all of the cases they sold for the Storm came with seperate screen protectors.
    None of the had a screen protector attached to th case.
    Last edited by nulldog; 02-07-09 at 09:52 PM.
    02-07-09 09:45 PM
    As you prolly know, many companies send out demo units for review. Usually to bloggers or folks/sites known to be well read.

I don't know how Otterbox does it's quality assurance reviews, and you can tell it was somewhat suprising to many on this thread that you released a product that had some issues, but you've got a handful of people here that respect Otterbox and have a vested interest in your designs succeeding.

I'd suggest you pull a few folks from this list and offer them the opportunity to review and give some feedback. I know I will be purchasing a Defender for my Storm, and was just about to until Ken revealed some issues. I can't speak for others, but I do know if Otterbox were to solicit my input on their new product, I'd be more than happy to pay for it after review. I'm not after freebies, just a solid piece of protection from a reputable company to make my tech investment as secure as possible.
    I'm going to look into this more, thanks blackBerry bOb. This obviously won't happen anytime soon since there are logistics we need to figure out (non-disclosure agreements, etc.), but it's a great suggestion and something we can start brainstorming about on this end. Thanks so much!
    02-10-09 10:45 AM
    I just got my OtterBox yesterday. So far it is great. I am not the fastest typer in the world on a phone, but I do not seem to have the same problem indicated by others about the space bar when in landscape mode. OtterBox is now my case of choice.
    02-10-09 11:16 AM
308 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD