06-01-09 09:10 PM
308 12345 ...
tools
    I hope to see some reviews from you folks to see if the Storm version suffers from the same echo issues reported for the Bold version.

I read one review where it was suggested cutting an opening in the membrane covering the mic solves the issue on that model, but another reviewer says removing the membrane entirely still produces an echo for the caller on the other end.

Of course OB may have addressed this issue with the Storm version. Only your experiences will tell!
    01-30-09 12:23 PM
    I hope to see some reviews from you folks to see if the Storm version suffers from the same echo issues reported for the Bold version.

I read one review where it was suggested cutting an opening in the membrane covering the mic solves the issue on that model, but another reviewer says removing the membrane entirely still produces an echo for the caller on the other end.

Of course OB may have addressed this issue with the Storm version. Only your experiences will tell!

Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'll put together a review with pictures, maybe video.
    02-01-09 12:22 PM
    I look forward to seeing what it looks like.

Mine will be here wednesday
    02-01-09 12:23 PM
    Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'll put together a review with pictures, maybe video.
    Don't forget the baby powder.

On second thought don't do it. We have floating screens the powder cound go under the screen.
    Last edited by jamesandyori; 02-02-09 at 07:24 PM.
    02-01-09 11:07 PM
    I just ordered mine with the 20% coupon! thanks.
    02-01-09 11:08 PM
    Don't forget the baby powder.

I'll try it without first to see if it's needed. Probably will be.
    02-02-09 12:12 AM
    Strange, I had an OB for my iPod Touch and it didn't have this "watermark" problem. It might not be a problem with the Storm either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 12:37 AM
    I am having trouble entering the Coupon codes. Where and when do you enter them?
    02-02-09 05:02 AM
    on the last page when your placing your order .. there is a box that asks if you have any coupon codes.
    02-02-09 07:21 AM
    Got mine. I'll have a small review and video in a few.
    02-02-09 02:09 PM
    Got mine. I'll have a small review and video in a few.
    i am excited to see some real pictures. Also can you take pictures of it right next the storm(with the storm out of course). Also side views of the same and the storm on top of the case. So we can get an idea of size.

Thanks
    02-02-09 02:21 PM
    Received mine today unfortunately I'm away from home and won't be back until tomorrow. Can't wait to install it.

Edit : I also ordered one for my sister's 8830 and she says she loves her new Otterbox!
    Last edited by GADGET-GEEK; 02-02-09 at 02:30 PM.
    02-02-09 02:26 PM
    When the Otter Box for the Blackberry Storm was announced, it was clear that this is a love it or hate product. I personally work in extreme environments and was extremely happy to see this product coming out. I run a high performance car shop so a day doesn't go by that I don't drop my phone, lean on it wrong or spill something on it. If it's any clue to what level of protection I need, my everyday laptop is a Panasonic Toughbook.

Today the Otter Box arrived and I took a quick video of it and snapped some pics. Sorry about the picture quality, doing this during work and I don't have alot of time. The video camera was duck taped to a twist jack from the shop, lol. Forgot the tripod at home.

Overall, my first impression is very good. The extra bulk doesn't bother me, actually makes it easier to hold. The screen needs an anti reflective treatment. I've read about the baby powder trick and will try this, but in as delievered form, it's ok without it. Also the silicone doesn't seem to fit quite as nicely as I would like, but I'm hoping after some wear it will break in.

Side by side with the Storm
    notice the gaps between the silicone and plastic. If you work it into place it stays, so hopefully with some wear it will stay nicer.

Storm in the Otter Box with Holster

Storm on top of Otter Box

Side View

Video

02-02-09 03:36 PM
    thank you for the quick review
    02-02-09 03:48 PM
    Nice review... Quick question -- can the OB be used without the silicone piece? I would assume it would make it less bulky. If the answer is yes, would it still be able to used with the holster?
    02-02-09 04:46 PM
    it looks too plain....they should come out with a yellow version like they have with the bold. i might buy that.
    02-02-09 04:56 PM
    Thanks for the great review Ken!!

The Storm, a high performance garage, the Scorpions and a bottle of rum = Otterbox Required!

Keep us updated on call quality. And let us know how the holster/sleep magnet work out. I'm still a little concerned about the review that claimed the BB holstered so tight the screen was depressed to the point where it was stuck in the clicked-down position after being removed from the holster.
    02-02-09 05:16 PM
    Nice review... Quick question -- can the OB be used without the silicone piece? I would assume it would make it less bulky. If the answer is yes, would it still be able to used with the holster?
    No, it wouldn't be a good solution without the silicone. The hard plastic has 'knobs' that stick out that the silicone wraps around so those would be sticking out.
    02-02-09 06:36 PM
    Thanks for the great review Ken!!

The Storm, a high performance garage, the Scorpions and a bottle of rum = Otterbox Required!

Keep us updated on call quality. And let us know how the holster/sleep magnet work out. I'm still a little concerned about the review that claimed the BB holstered so tight the screen was depressed to the point where it was stuck in the clicked-down position after being removed from the holster.
    When I digitized the video and heard the music I laughed and figured someone would bring that up quickly. It was playing in the garage and I couldn't hardly hear it in the office.

More to comment on after a few hours:

The screen cover goes over both the screen and the keys. This changes the feel of the device quite a bit. Before I could tell if I was on the screen or not by feel, now the screen/keys feel like one flat surface. Not a bad thing, just different.

I don't see how the screen could possible be clicked down in the holster. It's set back in the case quite a bit.

Loving the sleep magnet.

Since the screen protector goes over the keys and the screen and the key and screen are not 100% level, the screen protector is sorta raised off the screen. Again, nothing I would notice if I wasn't looking for it

LED is definitely a lot less visable

In landscape, anything against the bottom is a little harder to highlight/click. I don't think this will be an issue but right now it's annoying. I think I will get used to hitting those a certain way.

This case also really changes the overall feel of the device. IMO in a good way. Before it was a sleek, pretty phone. Now it's a rugged, mini computer. More my style.

I already dropped it once, so far so good!

One other thing to note, the way this thing goes together it covers the gaps in the screen where light comes through (except between the buttons and screen). This is a very nice side effect. I didn't know how much I disliked the light leakage until it was gone. I'm going to put a piece of black pinstripping on the backside of the protector at the seam between the screen and the buttons to totally get rid of the leakage now.
    02-02-09 06:44 PM
    I just recieved the otterbox for my storm, and found one huge problem. It is very hard to push the space button on landscape mode. Have to change the way I trype. I do not like that at all. I may have to send it back. Just a warning.
    02-02-09 06:58 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed review. I know what you mean about the touch/click action on edges of the screen. It was the same with my iPod Touch but you'll adjust quickly tapping/clicking on the edges of the screen.

Last edited by GADGET-GEEK; 02-02-09 at 07:05 PM.
    02-02-09 07:03 PM
    I just recieved the otterbox for my storm, and found one huge problem. It is very hard to push the space button on landscape mode. Have to change the way I trype. I do not like that at all. I may have to send it back. Just a warning.
    I agree but I'm already getting used to it. Would be nice if it were perfect, but the phones isn't either. lol

I think the biggest problem for the space bar or any lower/edge key is the way the screen protector is raised off the screen. near the edges it doesn't have enough flex in the protector to get a good touch.
    02-02-09 07:13 PM
    I just tracked mine .. still arriving on the 4th. I really need something like this, I can't keep babying this phone.
    02-02-09 07:15 PM
    STOP!!!

Crap! Do not do the powder trick!!!! I'm so stupid we as Storm owners cannot do the powder under the otterbox screen to keep apart the Storm screen and it cause we are NOT sealed like the Iphone.

Are screens float! And what's the number one complaint? Dust and crap under the screen, we might get the powder under the screen!

We need another way!

I hope no one has done this yet.
    02-02-09 07:16 PM
    I just emailed Otter Box my review and told them they have an issue with clicking around the edge of the screen. They need to make a revision. I MIGHT just suck it up and keep it, I'll have to give it a day or two. I'll post their response here.
    02-02-09 07:49 PM
308 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD