Well after reading stoney's post I gave them another call to see if they would give me the same option. Well they did. Otterbox has great customer support! I was told that yes, I could hold on to the case I have now and that they would place me on a list and they would send me the updated case for free. I was advised that they were working as quickly as possible on a fix but to expect it to be around a month before it is released. All companies should be this easy to deal with.

By the way every time I have called them I have spoken directly to A LIVE PERSON!! Never been put on hold and no automated promts. A++ for their customer support department!
    First off, I flipped the phone around and it does work MUCH better. I received an email with the same deal above. Awesome customer service! I'm typing this from the storm and its not that bad flipped. With some tweaks it should be perfect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 06:23 PM
    Just installed mine an hour or two ago.

Not thrilled. Like others, it's a bit of a pain hitting the space button when typing. I could maybe get used to it - maybe not. But even worse is the problem of being able to consistently hit the CLOSE menu item which is usually at the bottom of the screen. Tough to get it highlighted sometimes.

It's only been an hour or two, but I'm afraid it will get frustrating.
    If they allow me the option to hang onto it for replacement in a month or two (after redesign), I'll probably sit tight. If not, I'll be returning it.

Jim H.
    02-03-09 07:30 PM
    It looks like a minivan.
    02-03-09 07:35 PM
    Just installed mine an hour or two ago.

Not thrilled. Like others, it's a bit of a pain hitting the space button when typing. I could maybe get used to it - maybe not. But even worse is the problem of being able to consistently hit the CLOSE menu item which is usually at the bottom of the screen. Tough to get it highlighted sometimes.

It's only been an hour or two, but I'm afraid it will get frustrating.
    If they allow me the option to hang onto it for replacement in a month or two (after redesign), I'll probably sit tight. If not, I'll be returning it.

Jim H.
    In landscape mode flip your Storm around so the send/end buttons are on the left side. The "close" tab should now work. The only issue I have now is sometimes I can't activate the "sym" or caps lock buttons on the keyboard.

02-03-09 07:45 PM
    Well after reading stoney's post I gave them another call to see if they would give me the same option. Well they did. Otterbox has great customer support! I was told that yes, I could hold on to the case I have now and that they would place me on a list and they would send me the updated case for free. I was advised that they were working as quickly as possible on a fix but to expect it to be around a month before it is released. All companies should be this easy to deal with.

By the way every time I have called them I have spoken directly to A LIVE PERSON!! Never been put on hold and no automated promts. A++ for their customer support department!
    When you called for the second time did you have to mention the list for the updated ones or did you act like you knew nothing about the list and just wanted to return the case?
    02-04-09 12:21 AM
    When you called for the second time did you have to mention the list for the updated ones or did you act like you knew nothing about the list and just wanted to return the case?
    Try asking them nicely. That's what I did. They haven't responded yet but I'm sure they will take care of us. I really love this case and am using it right now. It will only get better once it's resolved.

02-04-09 12:43 AM
    I'd hate to be the person the employee/s taht tested this case and gave it the thumbs up. I bet he/she is sitting by a mountain of the cases at the moment with a dremel, like a prisoner peeling potatoes!
    02-04-09 01:18 AM
    haha man I seriously need to read before I act! I read the first page and scrolled down to the link and just went and bought this case and then I came back and scrolled down and BAM there was a code for 20% off staring me right in the face and now I get to the end and find out that theres problems with the case! hahaha Damn my attention deficit dis....... ooohh shiny!
    02-04-09 02:42 AM
    You guys are crackin' me up!

02-04-09 04:53 AM
    In landscape mode flip your Storm around so the send/end buttons are on the left side. The "close" tab should now work. The only issue I have now is sometimes I can't activate the "sym" or caps lock buttons on the keyboard.

I'm talking about portrait mode.
    02-04-09 05:54 AM
    I tried it for a full day today, hoping it might "break-in". No good - it is unusable for me in its current form. Nearly impossible to get some things highlighted, and then even after getting them highlighted, they often did not respond to clicking. Was an exercise in frustration.

Jim H.
    02-04-09 04:47 PM
    I agree. I used it for a couple of hours and I have to say that I love the protection and feel, but it needs work. too can't highlight and access functions within a 1/4-1/2" of the sides. I also think that I would like it better with the fiber material removed from the earpiece and speaker.

I emailed otterbox hoping to keep this until a replacement is made, then exchange it for a working unit.
    Last edited by anmetcalf; 02-04-09 at 04:56 PM.
    02-04-09 04:54 PM

Yes when i spoke to them i mentioned to them that I had read on the crackberry forums a post from one of their employees that there was a fix/redesign in the works. And I also mentioned that some people had been given the the option to be put on a list to have the new version sent out to them.
    02-04-09 05:18 PM
    Guys, use coupon code TECHBARGAINS20 for 20% off

Also can use MACWORLD09 for 15%

Just ordered mine, $47.72 shipped

Just placed my order for the Otterbox Defender for the Storm. Thanks for the coupon codes!
    02-04-09 06:01 PM
    I tried it for a full day today, hoping it might "break-in". No good - it is unusable for me in its current form. Nearly impossible to get some things highlighted, and then even after getting them highlighted, they often did not respond to clicking. Was an exercise in frustration.

Jim H.

+1 .... I sent off an e-mail to them as well.
    02-04-09 10:25 PM

Jim H.

I agree. I used it for a couple of hours and I have to say that I love the protection and feel, but it needs work. too can't highlight and access functions within a 1/4-1/2" of the sides. I also think that I would like it better with the fiber material removed from the earpiece and speaker.

I emailed otterbox hoping to keep this until a replacement is made, then exchange it for a working unit.
    Same here. Used it today in hopes of getting used to it or breaking it in and it's just not gonna happen. This was after I got an email this morning from them stating that I was added to the list for a free revised version when it comes out. That fiber material shouldn't be removed. It's going to keep dust out. They should just change it from white to black.
    02-04-09 10:44 PM
    For those with the OtterBox already, how is the belt clip? Does it feel secure? I've never used an OtterBox case before.
    02-05-09 06:36 AM
    For those with the OtterBox already, how is the belt clip? Does it feel secure? I've never used an OtterBox case before.

Very secure. It's below zero here and I just ran back to my house after walking the dog and it stayed in the holster no problem while running.
    02-05-09 06:40 AM
    Imma purchase one just to try it out of myself
    02-05-09 07:14 AM
    Material and fit I think it is a very well made unit, and I am looking forward to a new one that works. My guess it that they are going to resive the top half only and send that to us.
    02-05-09 08:19 AM
    Mine's coming today. Funny thing is I emailed them Monday and still no response! Hummm maybe a call is in order.

But I too want to give it a try.
    02-05-09 08:26 AM
    That fiber material shouldn't be removed. It's going to keep dust out. They should just change it from white to black.
    Try a black Sharpie marker from the inside.

02-05-09 05:54 PM
    I emailed their CS to make sure they will send me a redesigned replacement piece, which Marcie confirmed for me. In the interim, I removed the clear plastic from over the display and reassembled it. Works perfectly fine like this for me (although this will void the warranty). The only thing I noticed is that it is not as snug in the holster, but it is still secure. All in all, am happy with it now...
    02-05-09 06:03 PM
    I emailed their CS to make sure they will send me a redesigned replacement piece, which Marcie confirmed for me. In the interim, I removed the clear plastic from over the display and reassembled it. Works perfectly fine like this for me (although this will void the warranty). The only thing I noticed is that it is not as snug in the holster, but it is still secure. All in all, am happy with it now...
    I would love to do this but afraid that otterbox would frown on this. They told me as well that they will send me a redesigned case, but will i have to send this back? Will they charge me if I take the clear plastic off this one so it works for now?
    02-05-09 06:14 PM
    I would love to do this but afraid that otterbox would frown on this. They told me as well that they will send me a redesigned case, but will i have to send this back? Will they charge me if I take the clear plastic off this one so it works for now?
    They didnt say they would require anything sent back. You can always email them and ask before doing it...
    02-05-09 06:17 PM
308 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD