I did not want to knock this case. I was really looking forward to it. I just had to state the serious flaws I found with it, and let everyone know before they bought it. If they ever fix it and people give it good reviews, I would purchase it again at that time. As for now, it is much to frustrating to use.

So is the Storm.
    02-03-09 11:57 AM
    Darn, should have waited! SHould have also checked techbargains for the discount...oh well, may have to return it according to the above posts.
    02-03-09 12:02 PM
    Just got an email from their PR department thanking me for the video. This was a good opportunity to let them know of the issue. They emailed me right back and they are going to have someone call me.

Hopefully they are interested in getting it right. Just like the Storm, going to give them a chance to get it right before I ditch it. Other than the border typing issue, I love this case.

I'll post up after I talk to them.
    02-03-09 12:10 PM
    Thanks for the reviews guys. I was JUST about to order this, but looks like i'll hold off for now.
    02-03-09 12:21 PM
    Mine just arrived about an hour ago and I'll also be returning it due to the problem with the bottom row in landscape keyboard. I can get the bottom keys to highlight and enter but it's not easy. Also it's difficult to input "Close" in the BB menu sometimes. Like others have said, I'm not going to change the way I type on my BB in order to use this case. Only other aspect that I don't like with the Otterbox is the white material that they used to cover the earpiece and the back speaker. The entire enclosure is black and this white stuff stands out a little. Not a big deal but I just thought it's worth mentioning. This is a huge let down for me because other than these issue I really like it overall. The Storm feels very protected. If this issue gets resolved I'll consider buying it again.
    02-03-09 12:22 PM
    I'll post up after I talk to them.
    Consider mentioning this thread to them..... but I suspect they are already reading it. Perhaps they might pipe up!
    02-03-09 12:25 PM
    I'll be calling them for a return shipment as well.

Landscape bottom keys as reported don't work. Very disappointed as I've been looking forward to having one of these for my Storm...
    02-03-09 12:35 PM
    I just made a test call with the OB on my storm and the other end could hardly hear me and I believe it is due to the white material over the mic. I have had an OB for my 8130 & 8330 (both not using the supplied screen protector/membrane) and had no issues with either. The typing is also no good due to the "fully interactive membrane" in landscape. I am thinking of removing all of the "membranes" and seeing if this makes a difference or I may just send it back.
    02-03-09 12:40 PM
    I wouldn't remove the membranes if you're thinking about sending it back. I was looking at those as well and would've taken them out if it had worked in the first place.

Very disappointing that they don't refund shipping.
    Last edited by Cacique500; 02-03-09 at 12:52 PM.
    02-03-09 12:45 PM
    Consider mentioning this thread to them..... but I suspect they are already reading it. Perhaps they might pipe up!

Already did and they are going to post I believe.

I'm not doing anything (return, remove membrane) until they post about the issue.
    02-03-09 01:01 PM
    Before I packed mine up to send back I was looking at it wondering if removing the screen protector would make any difference. I was also contemplating dremeling down the edge that sits at the portion of the screen where the problem is in landscape layout. Might solve the problem but I'm almost positive that if it does not fix the issue it would prevent me from getting a refund from OB. I've decided to just send it back and see if they resolve this or wait for another case similar to this one to come out.
    02-03-09 01:08 PM
    I emailed them and told them under the circumstances they should wave the no refund for shipping rule due to a design error.
    02-03-09 01:12 PM
    I just installed my otterbox and I can see the problem with hitting the space bar. I'm getting used to activating the space bar now. Mine doesn't have the white membrane over the microphone, only the two speakers. I think Otterbox will make it right. Looks they just have to make the screen edge a little wider. Maybe we can hold onto them for now and when they redesign the top case portion they can ship them out to customers along with a prepaid mailer to send back the old ones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Edit :
    I just emailed Otterbox to inform them of the problem and to ask them if they agree with my remedy otherwise I'll have to return it as well. I let you know what their response is when I receive it.
    Last edited by GADGET-GEEK; 02-03-09 at 02:34 PM.
    02-03-09 01:33 PM
    Maybe we can hold onto them for now and when they redesign the top case portion they can ship them out to customers along with a prepaid mailer to send back the old ones.
    If OB would agree to this I'd order today. I'm sure in the long run they will make it right somehow. It's how they make a living and I'm sure they want nothing more than their customers to love and support their products.
    02-03-09 01:36 PM
    Returning mine. Can't handle the typing problem. Any other suggestions on a sturdy case like otterbox

02-03-09 01:37 PM
    upon closer inspection of the case (I thought I had a white membrane over the mic) there is none but the hole for the mic looks to be off from where the mic actually is. If they move the mic hole and not have it at the angle it is now it might improve the voice issue. Did anyone else try a call and find poor voice quality or is it just me?
    02-03-09 02:05 PM
    Hi Everyone�

I wanted to address some of the concerns above. I tried to go through all 100+ comments and pick out the most important concerns and go from there. Further questions can always be directed to customer service ([email protected]) or 888-695-8820. We do get back to every customer so please be patient as it takes time to get through all the requests.

� Regarding echo, we haven�t heard that that is a problem yet in this case. We will be investigating this further.
    � Keep in mind altering the case in any way voids the warranty; this includes cutting, removing, dremmeling, etc.
    � As for baby powder, we don�t recommend that for the screen. We suggest that before you put your phone in the case rubbing your palm across the screen. It's the natural oils of the skin that keep the plastic from sticking to the screen of the iPhone. You want your hands to be clean but you don't want to wash your hands just before doing it. You can also try wiping it along your cheek to pick up the oils from your face.
    � Although using the case in Landscape mode is not a problem experienced by the majority of the users, we have identified some changes to the design that will allow for a more enhanced user experience of the case with the device. OtterBox is currently working to make rapid changes to the case and will shortly have a design that we believe will address this issue for those who experience issues with typing in landscape mode. As a tip: the usability seems better in one direction than the other. If you are experiencing the issue, try turning the device 180 degrees (completely over; so it is still in landscape mode) to see if that improves the situation.
    � The magnet is located in the holster only, not in the case so this should not alter usability.
    � The screen protector is not removable. It is built into the case. Again, removing this will void the warranty.
    � We are also looking into the silicone and camera functions through the case.
    � These cases are part of the Defender Series� and are NOT watertight.
    � As for shipping, please contact customer service.

Please keep in mind we value all opinions and feedback and our goal is to make the best cases on the market. All of the concerns are being brought to the attention of our customer service and engineering departments and we will hopefully have some more answers soon.

Thanks,
    Kristin Golliher
    Public Relations Executive
    02-03-09 04:33 PM
    I received mine today. Had to take the Phantomskin off. Installed great but like others, in landscape mode I could NOT use the space bar. Well, I voided my warrenty (call me stupid I guess), removed the plastic cover (I left my screen protector on, like it better), put it back together and EVERYTHING works. No issues. I am not saying for people to do this, but I love the way this case feels and protects. That is my 2 cents. For whatever it is worth.
    02-03-09 05:05 PM
    Thank you Kristin,

The fact you started a account to address the masses is totally cool!

And I can only speak for myself but when my case arrives I will try your suggestions before I return it.

thanks,
    James
    02-03-09 05:17 PM
    So my wife just got home from work and I tried the case out on her storm to see if there was any difference. Same thing, in landscape the lower buttons do not work. Also after having read otterbox's responce I tried fliping the phone 180 degrees (send end key on the left) and it is the same, lower buttons don't work also tried this on both phones.

I have gotten a return auth number from otterbox but if they are working on a fix I am going to e-mail them and find out if they suggest i hold on to this one. I want to find out if they would do an exchange once they get the problem figured out. I really like the case and I want it to work, and I need the protection due to the fact that I am a mechanic in a very busy car dealership. I'll let you know what I get a reply
    02-03-09 05:19 PM
    Just talked to ob customer support. The are going to put me on list for they are designing a new case to address the typing issue. When it comes out they will send me the new design for free and I don't even have to send the old one back. Very good comayer support. Kudos ob !he told be it could be a month or more but they are hoping it is sooner than that. We need more companys like this that will step up and fix thee products when they are faulty (R.I.M).

02-03-09 05:19 PM
    Just talked to ob customer support. The are going to put me on list for they are designing a new case to address the typing issue. When it comes out they will send me the new design for free and I don't even have to send the old one back. Very good comayer support. Kudos ob !he told be it could be a month or more but they are hoping it is sooner than that. We need more companys like this that will step up and fix thee products when they are faulty (R.I.M).

Hope I get the same treatment. I sent an email to Otterbox today and anxiously waiting to hear from them. I know Otterbox will make it right. As for the rest of the Defender Case, it feels bomb proof!

No worries about dust getting under your screen with this baby.

Last edited by GADGET-GEEK; 02-03-09 at 05:40 PM.
    02-03-09 05:30 PM
    Thanks everyone for understanding. We definitely want to make things right and it�s awesome to have these types of forums to do so. We are absolutely addressing your issues/concerns to come up with the best case possible.

Again, please remember our Customer Service department deals with lots of calls and emails a day so take it easy on them (one of our reps is out of the office so it has been especially busy). They will be responding to all inquires so don�t worry.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Best,
    Kristin Golliher
    02-03-09 05:51 PM
    Thanks everyone for understanding. We definitely want to make things right and it�s awesome to have these types of forums to do so. We are absolutely addressing your issues/concerns to come up with the best case possible.

Again, please remember our Customer Service department deals with lots of calls and emails a day so take it easy on them (one of our reps is out of the office so it has been especially busy). They will be responding to all inquires so don�t worry.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Best,
    Kristin Golliher
    Thanks so much Kristin. No worries here, you guys/gals are great. Keep up the good work.

02-03-09 06:03 PM
    Well after reading stoney's post I gave them another call to see if they would give me the same option. Well they did. Otterbox has great customer support! I was told that yes, I could hold on to the case I have now and that they would place me on a list and they would send me the updated case for free. I was advised that they were working as quickly as possible on a fix but to expect it to be around a month before it is released. All companies should be this easy to deal with.

By the way every time I have called them I have spoken directly to A LIVE PERSON!! Never been put on hold and no automated promts. A++ for their customer support department!
    Last edited by bman99; 02-03-09 at 06:13 PM.
    02-03-09 06:08 PM
308 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD