Will the OTA process be smooth to upgrade, or potentially glitchy like loading the leaks? Do you have to plug into DM to complete an OTA?

I'm wondering for several friends with storms who waited for the Official release. I assume with 3rd party apps etc, that things can still go wrong right?
    05-29-09 12:32 PM
    depending on signal strength and battery life...I'm choosing direct connect to a PC but the ota should be ample.
    05-29-09 12:39 PM
    I would think you have to backup as part of an OTA, just for safety. Maybe someone that knows the process can explain how it all works, so I can pass it on to my "clients" lol.
    05-29-09 12:58 PM
    I would back things up just in case...
    05-29-09 01:12 PM
    if you're installing ota just leave it plugged into a power source and dont be driving or something where you might wind up with no service.

if doing it via computer, the risks are the same as if you were installing a leak. just follow the instructions and manually back everything up for safe measure.
    05-29-09 01:52 PM
    yeah, backup first using DM and then update OTA....you should be fine, if not...you made a backup right? lol
    05-29-09 02:03 PM
    haha I'm all set, running .148 for awhile now, but my friends may/may not have backed up. Actually, I told them not to buy the storm lol *smacks head*

So how does the OTA work? It downloads to the phone, then executes right away, or waits for you to launch?

Does it prompt a backup, or require you pug into DM?

Have OTA been pretty foolproof integrating with 3rd party apps and data?
    05-29-09 02:10 PM
    So how does the OTA work? It downloads to the phone, then executes right away, or waits for you to launch?
    As I understand it, it is like the DM update, except that it uses the non-volatile memory on the phone to store the temporary backup and whatever other working info it needs to use for the update, whereas the DM update uses files on your PC for this purpose. OTA updates seem real tricky to me, since you are installing a new OS, but there still has to be something on the phone that is executing to do the update.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 05-29-09 at 02:58 PM.
    05-29-09 02:35 PM
    As I understand it, it is like the DM update, except that it uses the non-volatile memory on the phone to store the temporary backup and whatever other working info it needs to use for the update, whereas the DM update uses files on your PC for this purpose.
    That would make sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 02:38 PM
    It does sound tricky!
    05-29-09 03:17 PM
    it's just a bunch of patches getting onto your phone and fixing everything

but really, it's just OS files being overwritten, so your device memory won't be impacted...
    05-29-09 03:39 PM
    quick question-im still on official .75--so when i upgrade by ota on sunday--will it reset all my themes?---like will i have to rearrange all the icons and wallpapers again?
    05-29-09 04:33 PM
    okay, i'm done for now, i'm gonna go drink my brains out...ttyl
    05-29-09 04:36 PM
    As I understand it, it is like the DM update, except that it uses the non-volatile memory on the phone to store the temporary backup and whatever other working info it needs to use for the update, whereas the DM update uses files on your PC for this purpose. OTA updates seem real tricky to me, since you are installing a new OS, but there still has to be something on the phone that is executing to do the update.
    It is my understanding that another way it differs is this: the DM update is the entire OS package; the OTA only updates changed code modules. That's why the OTA is so much smaller than the full desktop install.
    05-29-09 05:02 PM
    dave, so what you're saying is...

patches is always better...
    05-29-09 05:04 PM
    Wow... it didn't take you long to drink your brains out! Not that it surprises me...

(Just playing!)
    05-29-09 05:05 PM
    who says i'm not???
    05-29-09 05:06 PM
    will it make make me have to get a new BES activation like when I do a DM leaked update?
    05-29-09 05:51 PM
    Funny, I have updated my phone 10 times, but never OTA. Cant imagine that it will be too quick, but shouldnt be too painful
    05-29-09 10:46 PM
    It is my understanding that another way it differs is this: the DM update is the entire OS package; the OTA only updates changed code modules. That's why the OTA is so much smaller than the full desktop install.
    So is a DM update "better" than an OTA update since its the whole OS package?

05-29-09 10:56 PM
    I updated my phone to .75 OTA. The first problem I ran into was an "Insufficient memory" error. Can't remember what all I did, but in the end, rebooted the phone and installed OTA. It took a long time as I remember.

Then I updated my wife's phone to .75. For hers I updated through DM, and it went much faster, and no "memory" errors.

FWIW.
    05-29-09 11:10 PM
    Thanks deacon.

05-29-09 11:15 PM
    Wow... it didn't take you long to drink your brains out! Not that it surprises me...

(Just playing!)
    Wait, Patches is Irish, isn't he? I didn't think an Irishman COULD drink his brains out.
    05-30-09 12:00 AM
    and why not just install the leak now instead of waiting until sunday?
    05-30-09 12:04 AM
    it depends...it should move good though!
    05-30-09 12:06 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD