Hey all, I need some help on a few specific issues with my Storm.

I did a search for formatting the 9530 but the newest thread is a few months old so I wanted to make sure that doing the security wipe is still the best way. Does selecting "emails, contacts, etc" and "user installed apps" format it completely so I can reinstall?

I have a bunch of apps and literally under 1mb of space the last few days. I have 878.8 of 879.2mb free device memory and my memory card has 6.3mb out of 7.3mb.

I do have a whole bunch of apps downloaded but when I hear others have as many I don't know what the problem is.

Apps I have downloaded are "app world, hockey news, weatherbug, time, iheartradio, speedtest, google mobile, freetips, nhl app (listening to games, stats, etc), stitcher, mobile banking, slacker, youmail, amazon mobile, vzwtones, my verizon, facebook, google maps, Yahoo im, flightpath, documents to go. A lot I know, too bad we can't save them to the memory card.

I'm wondering whether it's the apps i've deleted are somehow leaking memory because I deleted a few like flycast, buzzd and others. I seem to be at 1.1mb free now but it fluctuates badly sometimes. After the reboot I make sure I close everything but bbm, phone, home, browser and msgs since those stay regardless.

I do like the phone but the constant clock from thinking is driving me nuts.

My 2nd question is i'm guessing it's a USB issue because it's happened on different pc's. I plug the Storm into a port and get the msg from Vista that the "usb device not recognized" so it won't charge. Or it brings up the clock that shows when charging and then disappears that it can't charge from that port. Yet when I charge from a wall outlet it has no problem whatsoever. Also, when I was backing up my data it randomly will lose the connection to the pc and then regain....or Vista will pick up disc errors and try to repair.

I just plugged it into a different port on the same pc and the phone asked if I wanted to enable mass storage mode and it's charging....go figure.

I want to bring my phone to the Verizon store I bought it from but it's already past it's warranty as my contract ends in october or november. I'm not sure what they'd be able to do for me or whether I should just format and hold out till my contract ends.

I searched for these issues because if I can fix it without having to type all that out great, but didn't see any of the issues listed for the Storm specifically.

Thanks for reading and any help.

Brian
    Last edited by NJD_fan; 05-19-10 at 10:07 AM.
    05-19-10 10:05 AM
    The best way to do this is not with security wipe but a reload and shrink. Back up data. Use bbsak to back up third party apps and then wipe the phone. Download your OS and use Shrink-a-OS to get rid off all the stuff you dont want on your phone. Then restore data. You can then load apps one by one to see if you find one that leaks....Not as confusing as it sounds.
    05-19-10 10:19 AM
    Not sure how long the warranty on the STORMs are - I got a warranty replacement after 15 Months.

Which OS are you using?? On past OS (before .328) I had lots of problems with connecting to my computer and not charging or recognizing drives.... you might want to try one of the later leaks or hybrids - .419 was stable for most, .519 for me seems to leak memory... but has a great radio.

If you download one of lyricidal's hybrids it will come with a couple of extra applications... as mentioned BBSAK is a great tool to backup your 3rd party applications and to wipe your phone. And Shrink-a-OS will help delete some of extra items built-into the OS they you don't use.

That said, I would reinstall your apps one at a time, use them for a while and then see how they affect your memory. For me App World and Weatherbug were always problems...
    05-19-10 10:56 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Gregs87, does BBsak need to be installed on the phone or a pc app? How about Shrink a os? I'd have to do this kind of thing late at night since the process would make my phone useless to receive anything but fortunately I have good service so I could download everything again.

I used bb desktop manager to back up everything, is that not as good?

Scalemaster34 i'm using .328. The last official release as far as I know. Is there a more recent OS coming out that would allow us to save our apps to the memory card? That would save sooo much space and it doesn't make sense they haven't allowed it already or didn't when it came out since others have for a while now. Would essentially fix my problem right on the spot lol
    05-21-10 03:35 PM
    Last I heard, .328 was the last, official, VZW OS for the S1 (and was the one I had when I sold my S1 to get the S2). You will get a bazillion different responses for what is "best" etc., but if you want to use the standard stuff, DM works just fine for backing up, so long as you realize it's only backing up the core stuff, not your 3rd party apps. There is a way, however, to back up 3rd party apps using DM, just do a search here for it, I cannot recall the link, but I've used it numerous times and it worked fine.

As to putting apps on your memory card, forget about that, it's not doable. Apps have to be installed in your app memory, something we all know is lacking in the S1. As for backing up my contacts and calendar info, I use Outlook on my computer, so my phone synchs with that and it's all safe having it in at least two places. I also use Smart Guard, a program I love, that offers a variety of features, including an automatic backup of contacts, calendar and other things, every day and stores them on your online account for safe and easy retrieval anytime you want it.

Thus far, no BB allows you to store apps on the memory card, sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Gregs87, does BBsak need to be installed on the phone or a pc app? How about Shrink a os? I'd have to do this kind of thing late at night since the process would make my phone useless to receive anything but fortunately I have good service so I could download everything again.

I used bb desktop manager to back up everything, is that not as good?

Scalemaster34 i'm using .328. The last official release as far as I know. Is there a more recent OS coming out that would allow us to save our apps to the memory card? That would save sooo much space and it doesn't make sense they haven't allowed it already or didn't when it came out since others have for a while now. Would essentially fix my problem right on the spot lol
    05-21-10 03:47 PM
    BBsak and shrink go on pc. Someone post that thread here for him. Using my phone so I can't. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD