I've read in this forum that it is recommended to wipe your OS after about every 3-4 upgrades. My question is for the average user aka non-crackberry how does Verizon expect to release multiple OS upgrades while not having the problem of slowing down the units due to multiple OS upgrades. As of now Verizon has officially supported two OS's .65 and .75, after how many more upgrades are average users going to have diminishing returns and how is Verizon going to resolve this?

Please post any thoughts or ideas
    01-05-09 02:29 PM
    You do not ever have to wipe your device. Some people have never wiped theirs. It is not mandatory, it is only preference. There will be no problems with your device running slow if you never wipe the device. Again, it is only preference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 02:34 PM
    You do not ever have to wipe your device. Some people have never wiped theirs. It is not mandatory, it is only preference. There will be no problems with your device running slow if you never wipe the device. Again, it is only preference.

OK, but that brings up the point why is it preferred if there is no tangible benefit? Or do people wipe their OS purely for peace of mind?
    01-05-09 02:41 PM
    VZW also (or RIM rather) has OTA updates, which are pretty seemless. You just go to Options>Advanced>Wireless Update. When VZW has an offical update it will be there. You won't have to use your Computer or RIM's DM software. Additionally RIM's website has a web based update option.
    01-05-09 02:52 PM
    OK, but that brings up the point why is it preferred if there is no tangible benefit? Or do people wipe their OS purely for peace of mind?

I believe so. Between my 8310 and Bold, I only ever wiped my device once. Never had a issue. Wiping your device get you to error 507 which means there is no OS on the device. When upgrading your OS, its going to remove your OS and show error 507 for a couple of seconds which is the same thing as a wipe. Me personally, I would only wipe it if my device is bricked and I need to do it to recover it.
    01-05-09 02:55 PM
    I never wiped and went from .75 to .83 to .85 and no issues.
    01-05-09 02:59 PM
    wipe vs no wipe... no wipe seems to work better for me plus I dont have to redo all my freakin' settings this way either!
    01-05-09 03:03 PM
    I agree, wiping is only needed when the setting are corrupted and you prefer a fresh start. In the vast majority of cases, you want to upgrade and continue with your settings and data.

01-05-09 03:31 PM
    I try not to wipe my phones. If an upgrade is going well and the phoen is behaving well, I do not wipe.

I think that wiping causes other problems where people forget to sync or Backup their phones before starting. They rush in and do a wipe and then it's Sh!t, Oh dear time.
    01-05-09 03:32 PM
    i like to wipe, just for piece of mind...like wiping a computer before loading a new OS on it...
    01-05-09 03:46 PM
    As Pete and Reed both said, when there are certain problems going on with the device, it could be advantageous to wipe. But if the device is overall running smooth and no major problems, there is no need and it comes down to preference.

I also do not recommend new unexperienced users to attempt to wipe before installing the OS. The process could, potentially cause more problems than just upgrading.

01-05-09 03:48 PM
    i like to wipe, just for piece of mind...like wiping a computer before loading a new OS on it...
    The OS install process does it for you.

Desktop Manager issues a command that is equivalent to loader /nojvm once it has done the device Backup. So unless you have specific problems wiping is not required or even desirable.

In CrackMem I included the Wipe Device command (which uses loader /nojvm) mainly for support reasons and to stop people from having to uses the somewhat scary JL_Cmder.

By default, CrackMem does not wipe and simply calls Desktop Manager which does the job anyway as apart of the OS load.

If you watch DM and the phone screen as it upgrades it will do an AutoBackup and then it wil wipe the phone back to JVM 507 and then it connects to the JVM and begins the install.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-05-09 at 03:57 PM.
    01-05-09 03:55 PM
    As Pete and Reed both said, when there are certain problems going on with the device, it could be advantageous to wipe. But if the device is overall running smooth and no major problems, there is no need and it comes down to preference.

I also do not recommend new unexperienced users to attempt to wipe before installing the OS. The process could, potentially cause more problems than just upgrading.

The OS install process does it for you.

Desktop Manager issues a command that is equivalent to loader /nojvm once it has done the device Backup. So unless you have specific problems wiping is not required or even desirable.

In CrackMem I included the Wipe Device command (which uses loader /nojvm) mainly for support reasons and to stop people from having to uses the somewhat scary JL_Cmder.

By default, CrackMem does not wipe and simply calls Desktop Manager which does the job anyway as apart of the OS load.

If you watch DM and the phone screen as it upgrades it will do an AutoBackup and then it wil wipe the phone back to JVM 507 and then it connects to the JVM and begins the install.

After installing .85 I started getting the WSoD (Verizon logo, media card lock up), and App Error 523 (something on the BB is crashing) so I did a wipe with Crackmem and then installed .85 again, and restored my backup and 3rd Party Apps AND it seems to have fixed the problem. I followed the instructions closely (both CX's backup/restore threads AND Pete's Crackmem thread), plus I do have a tech background.

HOWEVER I agree with the others wiping is generally not required. Also upgrading to a leaked (non certified OS) is NOT for the blackberry noob, who is also not a techie. Proceed with caution, or enter at your own risk, etc.

WOSTCASE if you do brick your phone the folks here (myself included) will do our best to get you back in business.

EDIT: PS I highly recommed Pete's Crackmem!
    01-05-09 05:37 PM
    I did not wipe for the update from .65 to .75, but did wipe using jlcmdr when updating to .83 and .85.

The instructions on how to perform a wipe, posted on the forums, are very clear and easy to follow, but if someone is not comfortable doing this they should not. Being somewhat familiar with computers, I prefer this method.

Great input and help here at the forum, thank you all who post reasonable and helpful responses to serious questions.

Noob's, please read the forums and do searches before asking questions.
    01-05-09 09:11 PM
    i know this is somewhat off topic but in the realm of wiping your device. i had weather bug and it worked great i went from .75 to .83 and now everytime i install weatherbug it works fine.....BUT when i try and use it(click) the icon) it freezes my device any answers??????
    01-05-09 10:16 PM
    I did not wipe for the update from .65 to .75, but did wipe using jlcmdr when updating to .83 and .85.

The instructions on how to perform a wipe, posted on the forums, are very clear and easy to follow, but if someone is not comfortable doing this they should not. Being somewhat familiar with computers, I prefer this method.

Great input and help here at the forum, thank you all who post reasonable and helpful responses to serious questions.

Noob's, please read the forums and do searches before asking questions.
    I wipe devices if the normal upgrade process fails. I always give the phone a chance to upgrade as RIM intended. JL_Cmder uses a program called javaloader.exe which is a delivered part of the Java Develpment Environment (JDE) and this program is not delivered with an OS. Both loader.exe and javaloader.exe are able to wipe devices and both my programs CrackMem and CrackUtil (links in my signature) will wipe a phone. CrackUtil is pretty much a pretty looking JL_Cmder and uses the javaloader in the same way. However it also has a FIle Manager that is prtty handy. Both programs are free.

As I have said earlier, Desktop Manager wipes the phone anyway because it calls loader to load the OS and it uses that to do a wipe.

So try the normal, no wipe route first and if you hit problems, then wipe.

The DM upgrade route does a Backup before it does anything else and whilst this is a neccessary step, I always sync to Outlook BEFORE I let DM loose for an upgrade. Even thought I have Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor ipd file converter to read and export from my Backup files I prefer to save my precious personal data (Address Book, Calendar, MemoPad, etc.) to Outlook where I may directly access it rather than relying only on Backup.

Lastly you can skip using DM entirely for a PC installed OS and just use loader.exe. CrackMem does this if you perform a Wipe Device function. DM must still be installed because Loader does not install the needed USB drivers that come with DM. Loader will not perform a BAckup, I just installs the OS from the PC to the phone.
    01-06-09 01:24 AM
    After installing .85 I started getting the WSoD (Verizon logo, media card lock up), and App Error 523 (something on the BB is crashing) so I did a wipe with Crackmem and then installed .85 again, and restored my backup and 3rd Party Apps AND it seems to have fixed the problem. I followed the instructions closely (both CX's backup/restore threads AND Pete's Crackmem thread), plus I do have a tech background.

HOWEVER I agree with the others wiping is generally not required. Also upgrading to a leaked (non certified OS) is NOT for the blackberry noob, who is also not a techie. Proceed with caution, or enter at your own risk, etc.

WOSTCASE if you do brick your phone the folks here (myself included) will do our best to get you back in business.

EDIT: PS I highly recommed Pete's Crackmem!

I had the same problem with recurring App Error 523 after going from .83 to .85. I finally wiped and went back to .75 but am considering reloading .85. I'm wondering why the 523 errors with .85. It's encouraging that you're not having the problem since you wiped and reloaded.
    01-06-09 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD