How do you push an OS Upgrade via BES?

I have installed the .148 OS onto the BES local drive, as well as a network drive. I am able to choose my model BB (9530) from the UPGRADES tab, but the system doesn't reconize i am on the .75 version of the OS, nor does it know that the .148 version has been installed.

I have also tried to set up a NEW SOFTWARE CONFIGURATIONS for an upgrade, and am unable to find where the extraction took place. I have checkd the local drive's (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Applications\) directory, as well as the network drives.

BES Manager version: 4.1.6.9
    BB version: 9530 (STORM)
    I have ADMIN access to the BES server, File Server and my local laptop.

Would anyone be able to assist me?
    I would like to get this figured out, rather than doing the upgrade via the desktop manager.

Thank you,
    Vincent
    06-01-09 09:07 AM
    I'm also the BES admin (among other duties) here at my workplace.

As far as I know, VZW/RIM have to release the update for BES within the RIM infrastructure. The BES supposedly checks the RIM infrastructure for updates once a day and once any updates are found we then have control of how to deploy OTA.

I've checked my BES and do not see an update available so I'm guessing it hasn't been released yet for BES consumption. I'm not aware of a method to force the BES to check for updates.

To be honest, I've never deployed an update OTA via BES because our first capable devices (Storm 9530) came in with 4.7.0.75.
    06-01-09 10:01 AM
    Thank you for the info.
    Do you or anyone know when VZW may release the update for BES within the RIM infrastructure?

I have even tried to download the OS from the VZW website by choosing the 'corporate email version', and the download is still the .75.
    06-01-09 10:30 AM
    The release notes from VZW only mentioned direct OTA and Desktop Manager (DM) release. I'm guessing it'll be released to the RIM infrastructure for BES consumption around the same time it is released for direct download via the normal VZW support site: BlackBerry® Software Updates
    06-01-09 10:32 AM
    It works for me. I logged onto my BES and hit view/upgrade software in the context menu on my listing in the Blackberry Manager. Set the options, and got an icon on my Storm. I'm running 4.1 SP6. Downloading onto the device now. I have not loaded the software on the BES.
    06-01-09 10:36 AM
    what version of BES do you need to be able to do OTA updates?
    06-01-09 10:58 AM
    I have BES Manager version: 4.1.6.9
    I have right clicked on my BB and selected the 'View/Upgrade Software' option, unfortunately i still receive an error message stating that the push failed, and there is no upgraded software availible.
    I do notice this though.... Under the "Active Carrier" column - no carrier is shown, even though it is through Verizon wireless. Do you think this would have any reason to my difficulty?
    The "BB Device Model" column does display the correct model of 9530.

Thank you for your assistance.
    06-01-09 11:05 AM
    Wow..this thread has been very helpful. I am not an Admin or anything, but I do have my Storm set up through my company's BES so that could explain why I am not getting the update OTA.

I guess I just have to be patient and wait for their push.
    06-01-09 11:38 AM
    Wow..this thread has been very helpful. I am not an Admin or anything, but I do have my Storm set up through my company's BES so that could explain why I am not getting the update OTA.

I guess I just have to be patient and wait for their push.
    FYI, there is a setting within the IT Policy to allow "Non Enterprise" Wireless Software Upgrades. If your admin sets the rule to True for the policy assigned to your device, theoretically the update should be available when you request it through Advanced Options > Wireless Upgrade.
    06-01-09 11:50 AM
    I was told my BES people do not push out OS updates, and I have to do it myself. Does that mean OTA will never work? I don't have DM installed on my work computer, so I was hoping to update OTA.
    06-01-09 12:05 PM
    It works for me. I logged onto my BES and hit view/upgrade software in the context menu on my listing in the Blackberry Manager. Set the options, and got an icon on my Storm. I'm running 4.1 SP6. Downloading onto the device now. I have not loaded the software on the BES.
    i tried that way and i saw that it says that it will upgrade to the latest version but i do not get an icon on my phone to do the install. I have tried everyway and currently on hold with RIM. They are having me do a wipe.(i do not care about data all will come back when i do a enterprise act.)

So I will see if this will work for the upgrade.

FYI, there is a setting within the IT Policy to allow "Non Enterprise" Wireless Software Upgrades. If your admin sets the rule to True for the policy assigned to your device, theoretically the update should be available when you request it through Advanced Options > Wireless Upgrade.
    Where exactly is that at? I tried to search for it but found nothing.
    06-01-09 12:06 PM
    I sent a notice to a user and it showed 'rejected'. Do I need to download something????
    06-01-09 12:59 PM
    I just received the Wireless Upgrade icon "poke" on my device, and it is showing up in BlackBerry Manager for my device, but no other 9530s. Time to test...
    06-01-09 01:26 PM
    UGH....still nothing!!!
    I still get the same message that the 'request failed to be queued for 0 users and no upgrades were availible for 1 user'.
    06-01-09 01:41 PM
    I also am using on a BES through the police dept. I work for. In order to get the update I downloaded one of the BlackBerry wiping tools here on CB and wiped my Storm. I then opened the desktop manager and navigated to the application loader and clicked on update operating system. .148 was there and I installed it on my device. I should note that before I wiped the device it would only offer me .75. After I was done I did an enterprise activation and all is well with the world. Blackberry is back on the server and working as before.......OK, maybe a little better than before but you know what I mean.
    06-01-09 01:53 PM
    is there a setting/option that needs to be configured inorder to have the BES server poll for updates. I am wondering if that is a problem on my end. I have looked but don't see anything stick out like a sore thumb.

ObliteRon -- how did the upgrade go?
    06-01-09 02:07 PM
    Im on a bes, and i upgraded my OS all the time. The key's are this-

You have Desktop Software on your work computer, set up that you are on BES, and connected to your outlook profile. (connected to your network)

Your company allows for automatic reactivation of your BES.

If you can do all of those things you can update. Back up your stuff (regular back up and 3rd party back up. Find the links here on crackberry.) Download the software on the Verizon website. (its listed on their as I just downloaded it so i have a copy of it) run the set up to install on your computer, plug in your phone, and it should say that you have a upgrade avail.

After you run it, and you plug in after the upgrade (Make sure you are connected to your work's network, and that DT software can get to your outlook profile), and after a few minutes, if your company allows it, your BES should reactivated automatically.

Good luck.
    06-01-09 02:11 PM
    OMG I'm dumb. nevermind.
    Last edited by ToddL; 06-01-09 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo
    06-01-09 03:36 PM
    I'm just now testing the OTA update from the BES. I tried to capture some screen shots to send to support staff.

I started the upgrade about 90 mins ago, and it is still in the download phase. Pretty slow...
    06-01-09 03:54 PM
    For what it's worth our corporate Verizon account manager said the BES update will be released the afternoon of June 3.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 04:18 PM
    I just talked to our IT people about the update, and how I couldn't update and it said to talk to my administrator. They said "Yes, we control the updates, and we don't update very often".

Ummm, what?
    06-01-09 04:28 PM
    I cancelled the upgrade about two hours ago because it seemed stalled. When I tried to initiate the upgrade after that, it kept aborting presumably because the RIM servers were overloaded.

About 90 minutes ago I started it again. It completed the entire backup/upgrade/restore in just over 30 minutes. It automatically Enterprise Activated about five minutes after that.

It'll be nice to have our users get the update without support staff touching a thing.
    06-01-09 08:15 PM
    June 3rd -- huh?
    I altered the IT Policy to allow an OTA upgrade. That failed 3 times, took way to long for me.
    When I got home I was able to download the 148 OS from Verizon, and was able to upgrade through DM on my home computer. (I haven't been able to do that in the past with my home computer...wonder if the IT Policy had anything to do with it.)
    I'll keep an eye out for the BES update around June 3rd as well. Still don't understand why my BES doesn't see an update and others do.
    06-02-09 08:10 AM
    The upgrade was listed on our BES this morning (Columbus, OH). I selected the Carrier, The Device, The From and The To. When I select a user/device and right click >View/upgrade Software >Continue, a message indicating an upgrade software request has been queued. However, after status goes from Requested to Received the status changes to Rejected. I've both allowing and disallowing software downloads, but no difference. I've tried allowing and disallowing OTA Software Updates, but same results. I've Tried totally unrestricted IT policy, but same results. I've probably missed something simple, but no clue what it is. Any help would be appreciated.
    06-02-09 08:58 AM
    i wish i could help...but my BES still doesn't have the update? I think there is an option that was missed during installation. Either that, or I am completely out of the ball park on this one.
    06-02-09 11:30 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD