Hi all,

I purchased an unlocked storm for a ridiculous amount of money (1000 USD) and want to know something about an OS upgrade. I have used quite a few blackberry's in the past not upgraded the firmware ever.

• Will upgrading the OS from Verizon on my Vodafone unlocked storm work?
    • Will the Storm get locked again if I do an OS upgrade?
    • Which is the best OS version upgrade that will ensure stability?

Appreciate your efforts and time to answer my questions.

Thanks and Regards,

FaeLLe
    01-19-09 01:49 AM
    Jesus 1k... You can't use Verizon software on the Vodafone Storm. You would have to use Vodafone OS software. 2. I don't believe the Storm will get locked again. I am 99% sure but maybe someone else could help you. 3. The latest version of the OS is .86 leaked. (Not sure about the Vodafone OS) Some people like it and others have problems so it's a win lose situation
    01-19-09 01:53 AM
    I think if you delete the vendor.xml you should be able to use the Verizon OS. I will not get locked again from my unserstanding. From what I have read everyone has different experiences with each upgrade. $1000 goodness that seem a bit much.
    01-19-09 01:59 AM
    Good lord... $1,000 for a phone??? Might I interest you in contributing to the Bigman2 Wellness Foundation? Where all proceeds go to my well being and happiness.

Anyway, like already said, if it's a 9500 you need to use updates for the 9500. Currently the latest is .88, but according to Crucial there are a couple of nasty bugs introduced in this build. So there's still .87 or .85 for the 9500. .86 is only for the 9530. Or at least no one ever leaked the 9500 .86 build. You need to find out if you have a 9500 or a 9530, because it matters when we're talking about OS updates.

I would also say I'm 99% sure that updating your OS isn't going to make any difference on the unlocked status of the phone. Leaked updates are all essentially release candidates for official OS distributions. Any one of them could potentially become the next official OS update for a given model. I can't say for absolute certain that it won't relock the phone, but I would be very very surprised if it did. I'm almost certain the two things exist independent of one another.
    01-19-09 02:04 AM
    The device is a Blackberry 9500.

Can someone provide hints on where I can locate the .83 and .75 build for the 9500?

Also is it possible to backup the existing OS and restore in the event of a mishap?
    01-19-09 02:09 AM
    The device is a Blackberry 9500.

Can someone provide hints on where I can locate the .83 and .75 build for the 9500?

Also is it possible to backup the existing OS and restore in the event of a mishap?
    Check the OS/OS beta subforum for links.

Also, you do realize you could have bought this phone full retail from Verizon for $500 and gotten the unlock code for free right? If it's not too late, I'd send the thing back, and save myself $500. Then you could donate $250 of that to the Bigman2 Wellness Foundation, and STILL be $250 better off. It's win-win all around, except for the person you bought the phone off of. Unless for some reason you really want the 9500 model instead of the 9530.
    01-19-09 02:17 AM
    Check the OS/OS beta subforum for links.

Also, you do realize you could have bought this phone full retail from Verizon for $500 and gotten the unlock code for free right? If it's not too late, I'd send the thing back, and save myself $500. Unless for some reason you really want the 9500 model instead of the 9530.
    I would if I was living in the United States

Had to purchase this at a premium from Dubai, UAE because of supply demand constraints raising a price hike!
    Exclusivity in the region comes at a price........
    01-19-09 02:20 AM
    I would if I was living in the United States

Had to purchase this at a premium from Dubai, UAE because of supply demand constraints raising a price hike!
    Exclusivity in the region comes at a price........
    And there's no one you can trust to buy it, then send it off to you in Dubai? You seem fairly intelligent, so I'll just assume you considered such possibilities and ruled them out for various reasons.

So, like I said, check the OS/OS Beta subforum for all your OS needs. I certainly hope you enjoy your Storm considering what you paid for it.
    01-19-09 02:30 AM
    And there's no one you can trust to buy it, then send it off to you in Dubai? You seem fairly intelligent, so I'll just assume you considered such possibilities and ruled them out for various reasons.

So, like I said, check the OS/OS Beta subforum for all your OS needs. I certainly hope you enjoy your Storm considering what you paid for it.
    Dont really know anyone in US who I would to trouble that much, plus I didnt want to wait for ages.... but I like the phone for what it is

Also I think I found something might just resolve my situation, cant post URLs yet since I dont have 10 points.

I will have to go home and check if it actually works.
    01-19-09 03:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD