I notice the Storm only comes with so much Mem application memory. I have Talklock, Myspace, Facebook, Safewallet, Mobile Checkbook Pro, Buzz me, and you tube aps installed and my device memory says 30MB. Is that all that is left to fill the phone up with? I know themes take at that space to. But there is no way to move the Aps or have them install with the Device memory itself? The device says like 869 MB or something like that. Anyone else experienceing this? Does having more aps slow the phone down?
    02-17-09 09:22 AM
    Application Memory is like your RAM from what I understand. No way to increase other than to close programs.
    02-17-09 09:32 AM
    I see. I figured it should be since thats what Memory is. So you have up to like, in my case, 869MB to add applications? Is that how it goes? Or what?
    02-17-09 09:48 AM
    Yea I'm confused too.

Right now I'm guessing that the apps install and run from the apps memory.

Can anyone confirm?
    02-17-09 09:49 AM
    Yea I'm confused too.

Right now I'm guessing that the apps install and run from the apps memory.

Can anyone confirm?
    Thats the same thing I was thinking? HELP! It should be like this. The applications install to the Device memory, and the Ap Memory (Speed) goes off of that portion. Although it doesnt seem to be that way. Can anyone confirm how this all works?
    02-17-09 09:56 AM
    Anyone? lol. Trying to keep this thead bumped to the top lol.
    02-17-09 10:33 AM
    Application Memory is like your RAM from what I understand. No way to increase other than to close programs.
    Other than a cracked OS that may or may not point to the SD chip there is no way to increase the App memory as it is like RAM. This is hard coded and should probably remain so as the cracked OS's aren't as efficient and may brick your BB.
    02-17-09 10:43 AM
    02-17-09 10:48 AM
    Very usefull information. Although I dont have a solid answer from it. What is the HD on the blackberry considered? If the MB it shows as Memory, I take it that that is memory as to how the programs function with quickness like memory on a computer. But how many MB is there actually to store the applications on the device? What should you look at for that?
    02-17-09 11:22 AM
    Your core BB apps will use some of the Total Memory. Your File Free memory shows the amount of memory left for the installation of apps or media. Go to Options / Status (OS 4.6) to see what your File Free is. You want to keep at least 10-15MB free for normal operations.
    02-17-09 11:28 AM
    Other than a cracked OS that may or may not point to the SD chip there is no way to increase the App memory as it is like RAM. This is hard coded and should probably remain so as the cracked OS's aren't as efficient and may brick your BB.
    Is a cracked OS the same as a leaked/beta OS?
    02-17-09 11:29 AM
    Your core BB apps will use some of the Total Memory. Your File Free memory shows the amount of memory left for the installation of apps or media. Go to Options / Status (OS 4.6) to see what your File Free is. You want to keep at least 10-15MB free for normal operations.
    Are you positive about this? From playing with the BB API's it looks as though App mem on the storm is a RAM for running applications not installation space. I will have to write a quick program to give exact numbers but when you access the free app mem counters the max is far short of the 192mb installed. This suggests to me that the file are installed to a separate partition and that APP mem is where the programs are opened too in order to run.

Also if The Java GC is working properly I can't see why performance would suffer when the mb gets low. I know it has in the past I'm just saying if the GC is working properly then it should not be an issue.

Like I said this is all speculation based upon limited use of the BB APIís. I would like to see exactly how the mem process/flow works on a BB. To date Iím not sure that Iíve seen an accurate explanation.
    02-17-09 11:51 AM
    It is dang fristrating that I have to do a battery pull daily to kee the levels above 10Mb. They need to fix that.
    02-17-09 01:07 PM
    There definitely needs to be more memory allocated for apps and possibly an option to save/install apps on the sd card. Hopefully this will be a focus.
    02-17-09 01:32 PM
    There definitely needs to be more memory allocated for apps and possibly an option to save/install apps on the sd card. Hopefully this will be a focus.
    Check out Areize Card Loader. It allows you to load and unload apps from ther media card. You can't run apps directly from the media card (like WM) but the loading and unloading is fast and easy.
    02-17-09 01:36 PM
    So I guess in Blackberry Terms....Device Memory is actually the device Storage? Like RAM is the memory on a computer that makes it work quicker the more you put in. So the Ram or App Memory on the blackberry is like the Hard drive for aps to install on the BB? Im still confused about all of this lol
    02-17-09 04:10 PM
    Seems like that's what it is.
    I have like 20 apps and my ram is like 20MB on start up. Only Mobipocket and Google Maps run on startup too.
    02-17-09 06:19 PM
    You confsed further. My understanding:

1. APP Memory=Ram (What programs lod to and run)

2. Device Memory=HDD Size (what files and programs are stored on)

Anyone wish to confirm? The App Memory will increase when you close programs or do a battery pull. The device memory will not.
    02-18-09 11:05 AM
    I had the same issue and some of same apps........Remove the BuzzMe and you will see a huge improvement.
    02-18-09 11:36 AM
    I had the same issue and some of same apps........Remove the BuzzMe and you will see a huge improvement. Also cut your ICONS down to only 8 on Main Screen and access others in other files off the main screen.
    02-18-09 11:38 AM
    You confsed further. My understanding:

1. APP Memory=Ram (What programs lod to and run)

2. Device Memory=HDD Size (what files and programs are stored on)

Anyone wish to confirm? The App Memory will increase when you close programs or do a battery pull. The device memory will not.
    Am I correct in this analysis?
    02-18-09 12:46 PM
    Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    02-19-09 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD