In the past I have been doing all the leaked OS upgrades except for 86. I always see people having issue's that I normally dont get. I know people have been upgrading their phones all these different ways like whipping the device, installing over and old OS and doing backups.

I have been having a lot of luck with mine. I was thinking maybe it's the way I do my upgrades. My steps have been as followed

1.Download new BB OS to PC
    2.Delete all old versions of BB OS off PC and restart PC
    3.Install new BB OS and restart PC
    4.JL_CMder the BB OS of the phone. ( I don't do a back up)
    5.Install new OS (do not install any backups)
    6.Reinstall any programs manually
    7.Re-add my contact by doing a fresh sync from my Outlook calendar.

This process has worked for me each time. Like I said I above, I never get any of the weird random crashes that other people always get. I just thought I would share a process that has worked for me.
    01-22-09 09:01 PM
    Wow. I'm almost (not quite) as anal about updating my OS as you are . All of my updates have gone smoothly, too. It definitely seems to pay off. I'd rather spend 30 extra minutes taking some extra precautions than reloading my OS 17 times just to get it to run smoothly.

My process is:

1. DL new OS to PC
    2. Back up my phone and a few of the more necessary third party apps
    3. Uninstall old version (don't delete it just keep it in my BB OS folder in case I want to downgrade later)
    4. Install new OS and restart PC
    5. JL_CMder wipe
    6. Install new OS on phone
    7. Wait to see that phone is running smoothly and reliably before installing the rest of my apps
    01-22-09 09:08 PM
    Wow. I'm almost (not quite) as anal about updating my OS as you are . All of my updates have gone smoothly, too. It definitely seems to pay off. I'd rather spend 30 extra minutes taking some extra precautions than reloading my OS 17 times just to get it to run smoothly.

My process is:

1. DL new OS to PC
    2. Back up my phone and a few of the more necessary third party apps
    3. Uninstall old version (don't delete it just keep it in my BB OS folder in case I want to downgrade later)
    4. Install new OS and restart PC
    5. JL_CMder wipe
    6. Install new OS on phone
    7. Wait to see that phone is running smoothly and reliably before installing the rest of my apps

I delete my old OS, but I keep the EXE that I download that installes the OS to your PC.
    01-22-09 09:16 PM
    Oh ok yeah I do the same thing. I can't help but think that the majority of people who have problems don't take the time to do it like this and instead just layer one OS on top of another. Idk I just like having a clean start.
    01-22-09 09:19 PM
    Oh ok yeah I do the same thing. I can't help but think that the majority of people who have problems don't take the time to do it like this and instead just layer one OS on top of another. Idk I just like having a clean start.

LOL, Im one of those guys who just installs a new OS over the old one. Started with .65, .75, .85, .86, .90 I've never wiped my device, and up to now I have had great success with few issues. Maybe I'm flirting with disaster. BUT I HOPE NOT!
    01-22-09 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD