Hello all,

In my experiences with .99 (about 48 hours now), I have been verry irritated by the sluggish performance. I really enjoyed .90, with the nice big letters (not that it's a huge deal, I just liked it), and the VERY noticible speed over

Now, I know a couple people with .99 that have had very different results than I have, but I have heard a lot of people on here complaining about the very noticible LAG, or sluggishness if you will, and I, personally, am just tired of it.

I consider myself very fast with the BlackBerry Storm (even though being a first time BlackBerry user), so the sluggishness of .99 is very, very irritating to me.

Maybe there is something I am missing, but for the time being, I'm willing to go back to .90 until Verizon releases an official update; even though they are taking QUITE some time with it.

Give me your thoughts, as well as any tips/tricks I may be missing which is causing .99 to be so irritating.
    02-06-09 11:35 AM
    Here's your tip: 99 is not sluggish, your device is. Do a manual backup, wipe your BB, then install ONLY the 99 os. Play with it... You'll notice it's FINE. Then go and restore your backup and watch it become sluggish.
    02-06-09 11:40 AM
    No sluggishness on .99 here.
    02-06-09 11:46 AM
    Hello all,

In my experiences with .99 (about 48 hours now), I have been verry irritated by the sluggish performance. I really enjoyed .90, with the nice big letters (not that it's a huge deal, I just liked it), and the VERY noticible speed over

Now, I know a couple people with .99 that have had very different results than I have, but I have heard a lot of people on here complaining about the very noticible LAG, or sluggishness if you will, and I, personally, am just tired of it.

I consider myself very fast with the BlackBerry Storm (even though being a first time BlackBerry user), so the sluggishness of .99 is very, very irritating to me.

Maybe there is something I am missing, but for the time being, I'm willing to go back to .90 until Verizon releases an official update; even though they are taking QUITE some time with it.

Give me your thoughts, as well as any tips/tricks I may be missing which is causing .99 to be so irritating.
    What third party apps are you running? I, like the majority of .99 users, have had great results with it. I went from .75 to .90, back to .75 then to .99 and love it. Works way better thant the others.
    02-06-09 11:50 AM
    Weird, to me .90 was the worst update (More like a downgrade). .99 is the most reliable OS next to the .75. Only con i have about the .99 is typing got slower, but everything else is a huge update especially the camera (Way faster than the other OS)! I would recommend the .99 to anyone as an update, been having it for almost the whole week without pulling the battery.
    02-06-09 11:54 AM
    Here's your tip: 99 is not sluggish, your device is. Do a manual backup, wipe your BB, then install ONLY the 99 os. Play with it... You'll notice it's FINE. Then go and restore your backup and watch it become sluggish.
    A lot of work for a casual user.
    02-06-09 12:35 PM
    A lot of work for a casual user.
    If you think that's a lot of work you need to stick with .75 and wait for the next official release.

The .99 update works fine on MOST users as reported here so if your experience is different it's your HW not the OS.
    02-06-09 12:42 PM
    Only sluggish performance i get on .99 is text input.
    02-06-09 12:43 PM
    I too had a lot of problems with both .90 and .99 and someone suggested doing this and it helped A LOT!!!!

1. First plug in your Storm to the computer and do a complete back up with the backup program in desktop manager, and write down your 3rd party apps you have installed (dont back them up, you will re-download them later in step 5, the reason you DONT want to back up your apps, is because sometimes the setting that your 3rd part apps have adjusted in your Berry can be the problem with it being sooo SLOW)

2. Then do a wipe with JL_Cmder and then

3. Reload he OS you want like 4.7.0.99

4. Open up the Backup and Restore program and the click the Advanced option. Once you are in the Advanced tab you will see two window pains, above the one on the left it says "File" click it then click "Open." Then you will see a windows explorer window, we want to open the backup file you just made. After it is opened up you will see a long list of items that are from your back up only restore essential items, like the phonebook, calender, bookmarks, blackberry messenger settings etc.

5. manually re-download the programs you want, try not to download too many because they will slow you down, also try not to use programs that are not optimized for the storm

I am using
    VZ Nav
    visual voice mail
    Gmail
    Buzzme
    Talk Lock
    Slacker
    facebook
    youtube
    opera mini

**Once I did that I have had no problems at all! Before I was having a TON of problems, such as needing a battery pull every few hours and overall sluggishness and poor performance
    02-06-09 12:45 PM
    Where can I download these new os?
    02-06-09 12:47 PM
    I've tried every way with .99....jl_cmd wipe, over existing OS. Doesn't matter....typing is slow, the operations are slow, you can stick the screen transitions where the sun don't shine RIM. Still obsessed with my Storm but .90 has been BY FAR the best OS and I'm running zero 3rd party apps. So....different strokes, different folks .99 works for some and their perceptions. Others see it more stable. It's slow for me typing is right up there with wisdom teeth surgery it's painful....it's not as stable for me, I lock up BBM way too much battery pull after battery pull. I have no patience for frozen pizza phone. BUT that's what I get for running a LEAKED OS.
    02-06-09 12:55 PM
    I too noticed severe typing lag in .99 over the previous OS's. The rest of the OS though has been much faster than .75 and on par with .90. With .90 though I had daily freezes and battery pulls. I've been running .99 for 5 days now without a single freeze or battery pull.

Disable the "Check Spelling As You Type" and "Auto Correction" in the "Spell Check" settings and the typing lag will go away completely. I can now type as fast on this phone as I used to with my old enV which had a physical keyboard.

I find that I make fewer mistakes with the Spell Check disabled because I'm not being distracted by the lag, and I'm not having to go back and constantly undo the stupid auto-corrections that the OS makes for me.
    02-06-09 01:03 PM
    I can't really detect any difference between .90 and .99 as far as performance is concerned.

I am, however, really annoyed that they reverted to the small letters on the keyboards. That was a huge plus in .90

Frankly I wish I had not upgraded to .99...Hoewever, I'm too lazy to go back now.
    02-06-09 01:57 PM
    several battery pulls so far here with .99
    prob. about the same as with .90.
    02-06-09 02:16 PM
    AMEN! .99 was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo slow
    02-06-09 02:17 PM
    I have to place myself in the .90 camp as well. I found .99 to be painfully sluggish and reverted back to .90. All is well now. I am one of the lucky ones who has had no problems with .90. It is zippy, has not crashed once on me and seems very stable. While I did not wipe my Blackberry before installing .99, I didn't wipe it for .90 either. I am running all the same apps on .90 that I did with .99, so I feel I can make an "apples to apples" comparison. For me, .90 is the best OS so far. I really hope the final "official" upgrade doesn't slow me down the way .99 did!
    02-06-09 02:33 PM
    this is part of the challenge developers and testers have. there's just no way to test every use case of an os. even if you're trying to help someone out there are just way to many variables to expect the os to work the same on every device...

for example: did the user do a wipe...what was the installation procedure...did they reload any apps during the os install...is the sim card inserted...is the sim card active...what network profile is active...is sd card inserted...is the sd card active...3rd party apps installed...3rd party apps set to run in the backgroud...3rd party apps permissions...bluetooth devices...custom ring tones...custom profiles...key rate...fonts...screen brightness...screen timeout...home screen settings...wallpaper...where is wall paper stored...autolock... this list goes on and on and on...

fortunately it seems that most people are running .99 with a high level of stability not seen in previous os versions, leaked or official. and lucky for me that i'm one of them.

hope you guys get it sorted out. good luck!
    02-06-09 02:43 PM
    I just got back down to .90, and I couldn't believe the difference. Everything was SO quick, or maybe .99 is really THAT sluggish.

Either way, I'm sticking with .90, I'll suck it up for the battery pulls (which never really bothered me anyway, and I found as a good excuse to say "well at least my memory will reset after") :-)

So there it is, if you guys seem to have luck with .99, more power to you. However, .99 really bit the dust for me, and I'm much happier to have my .90 back.
    02-06-09 03:38 PM
    I'm not sure how accurate this is because I had COMPLETELY different experiences myself with the operating systems. I previously had .90 OS and then upgraded without wiping device to .99 OS and it absolutely SUCKED. Sluggish keyboard, sluggish locking & unlocking, slow multi-tasking, slow between portrait & landscape, etc. I went back to .90 OS, and LOVED it. Made the phone 10000x better.

So then being frustrated with the reboots all the time on the .90 OS I decided okay I'll wipe the device clean, and then install .99 OS. Did that, seemed a little quicker the first hour or two I played with it, before backing up all my 3rd party applications and my settings, etc. Still hands down was NOT anywhere near the same as .90 OS. Faster than before, yes, as fast as .90 OS, definitely NOT.

Now after restoring all of my previous apps and settings the .99 OS was slow as molasses and I again downgraded to .90 OS, and again, like NIGHT AND DAY. The Storm on .90 OS has been the best yet by a long shot, in my experience. I love the fact that we have a call log button, and the larger keys, the speed of the keyboard, the speed overall, and I absolutely refuse to upgrade past .90 OS unless another leak / official release is exactly the same operating speed (keyboard and multi-tasking) or faster. Because honestly once you get used to .90 OS anything slower just annoys the **** out of you, in my experience.

Good luck and long live .90 OS!
    02-06-09 06:04 PM
    I'm not really having any lag problems on .99.
    02-06-09 06:12 PM
    I too noticed severe typing lag in .99 over the previous OS's. The rest of the OS though has been much faster than .75 and on par with .90. With .90 though I had daily freezes and battery pulls. I've been running .99 for 5 days now without a single freeze or battery pull.

Disable the "Check Spelling As You Type" and "Auto Correction" in the "Spell Check" settings and the typing lag will go away completely. I can now type as fast on this phone as I used to with my old enV which had a physical keyboard.

I find that I make fewer mistakes with the Spell Check disabled because I'm not being distracted by the lag, and I'm not having to go back and constantly undo the stupid auto-corrections that the OS makes for me.
    I didn't have my "Check Spelling As You Type" checked off for whatever reason although I do in emails and I want to keep it that way. However I did go ahead and uncheck the "Auto Correction" option and I do think that seemed to slightly improve the keyboard which is awesome because it flies on .90 OS! Nice tip!
    02-06-09 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD