But if OS 6.0 is gonna goto the newer phones. What will the specs on the new storm have?

I'm hoping for the snap dragon 1 ghz processor and at least 512 ROM and 16 gig on board.

It has the pinch to zoom function. Will that be axed because of Apple? I hope also they have bbm updated to 6.0 too. But who knows?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 08:07 PM
    I've seen posts like yours in other threads and quite honestly, it baffles me. Technology moves forward in giant LEAPS. It is a well known standard that most hardware (both phones and computers) cannot keep up with software, that's just a fact of life. A Storm 1 is OLD, ANCIENT in fact, in smart phone years, so why would you have an issue if your old, first generation, phone does not work with a brand new, .0 level, OS? You knew, going in to your S1 purchase, that it had X amount of memory and that there were competing phones with more memory (assuming that memory will be the key issue with preventing 6.0 from working on the S1). And today, compared to then, phones have significantly more memory. So, there should be no surprise when a new OS comes out that requires new memory, it makes sense to write OSs that take advantage of the advancements with the hardware. The Storm 1 first came out in November, 2008. The 6.0 OS is scheduled for release this summer (they're saying June, but I'll believe that when I see it), so why should it be such an issue that a big step up with an OS, not work on a 2 year old phone's technology?

If you find Android "more appealing" than by all means, you should go for it. I'm sure it's a fine device.

I won't be getting an RIM phone if the S1 does not get 6.0.

Android is already more appealing and forcing users to upgrade shows they will do the same thing 12 months into the future. Apple does the same thing but that doesn't mean we should be okay with it.
    04-20-10 08:41 PM

If you want to get another phone then get a storm 2 off ebay for 200-300 and keep your upgrade for when the storm 3 comes around IMO. The S2 will get you by for a couple months if you are itching for something new.
    That is a great idea. My bid is in. I should know tomorrow night if I am the proud owner of a slightly used S2. I can probably flip my unlocked S1 and not be out too much.

Thanks for the help in getting to a moment of clarity.
    04-20-10 09:08 PM
    I've already requested that the moderators keep an eye on this thread. If the snide remarks continue, expect the thread to get shut down. As it is, some of the comments have come pretty close to crossing the line (or they already have).

Its one thing to express your opinion but its another to attack others.

04-20-10 09:40 PM
    I've seen posts like yours in other threads and quite honestly, it baffles me. Technology moves forward in giant LEAPS. It is a well known standard that most hardware (both phones and computers) cannot keep up with software, that's just a fact of life. A Storm 1 is OLD, ANCIENT in fact, in smart phone years, so why would you have an issue if your old, first generation, phone does not work with a brand new, .0 level, OS? You knew, going in to your S1 purchase, that it had X amount of memory and that there were competing phones with more memory (assuming that memory will be the key issue with preventing 6.0 from working on the S1). And today, compared to then, phones have significantly more memory. So, there should be no surprise when a new OS comes out that requires new memory, it makes sense to write OSs that take advantage of the advancements with the hardware. The Storm 1 first came out in November, 2008. The 6.0 OS is scheduled for release this summer (they're saying June, but I'll believe that when I see it), so why should it be such an issue that a big step up with an OS, not work on a 2 year old phone's technology?

If you find Android "more appealing" than by all means, you should go for it. I'm sure it's a fine device.
    You have no reason to believe this is a "big step" other than a smoother looking theme and some rumors about side-scrolling from a BGR contact, something I'm sure the S1 could handle.

I'm just looking for the bug fixes that we were told were coming when this phone was released. RIM never delivered. Thing is still insanely laggy and the app support is terrible a year after App World's release. Again, I have no faith in their abilities to create and support good software based on this 18-month experience and will be moving to Android unless this OS offers a huge step up in functionality.

If they released this for the S1 I might have to change my mind.
    04-20-10 10:39 PM
    I've already requested that the moderators keep an eye on this thread. If the snide remarks continue, expect the thread to get shut down. As it is, some of the comments have come pretty close to crossing the line (or they already have).

Its one thing to express your opinion but its another to attack others.

AMEN!

Ridesno159 & Spectrumpigg, shake and makeup, or agree to disagree, but keep it off the forums! I deleted 7 posts! You BOTH made low blows. Consider yourselves warned, BUT I'm not going to make a notation in your profile notes, BUT keep it up and I will, and issue official warnings! Just get along guys, you both can be pretty cool, I know I've had exchanges on the forums with both of you, lets get back to that ok?

We can disagree, we can express our displeasure with RIM. We can speculate what we think will happen with the Storm line and 6.0, whatever, BUT we can NOT attack each other. Got it?

Thanks guys.
    04-20-10 10:39 PM
    You have no reason to believe this is a "big step" other than a smoother looking theme and some rumors about side-scrolling from a BGR contact, something I'm sure the S1 could handle.

I'm just looking for the bug fixes that we were told were coming when this phone was released. RIM never delivered. Thing is still insanely laggy and the app support is terrible a year after App World's release. Again, I have no faith in their abilities to create and support good software based on this 18-month experience and will be moving to Android unless this OS offers a huge step up in functionality.

If they released this for the S1 I might have to change my mind.
    If you honestly, truly believe 6.0 is just a 'smoother theme with side scrolling', just smash your Storm to pieces and get a Droid. You're mind's already made up. You've already had like 10 people here saying the Storm won't get it. It just won't. The specs in the Storm are absolute sh*t now. The S1 can BARELY handle 5.0, as you've so aptly pointed out. How do you figure it could handle 6.0? Oh, because you still own it. I see.

Face reality buddy. The S1 is old and outdated, and 6.0 will not be released for it. You should honestly just start looking now for a new phone. There is more to this new OS Than just a Precision Zen upgrade, but clearly you didn't read the article and are just spewing garbage based on the pictures, so you're not dumb, you're just uneducated on the OS situation. (that we've learned so far) With WebKit, a media player overhaul, picture overhaul. The general OS functionality changes alone have got me excited.

Instead you're pessimistic because you have a 2 year old phone and you're worried you're going to get left in the dust..Well, go get your Incredible or whatever, and in two years we'll check in on you in Droid Central saying "I better get Android 4.0 on my 2 year old phone damnit! If I don't get it I swear I'm changing to WINMO!"

EDIT: Also, load your phone up with 4.7.0.75 and tell me there was ZERO bug fixes.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 04-22-10 at 08:47 AM.
    04-20-10 11:31 PM
    Some of us even had .65 on our phones.
    04-20-10 11:41 PM
    @ GlitchZero, I just had a bit of a laugh reading that.

The general gist of what you're saying is completely correct, and unfortunately, some people will never be happy, and some people choose not to accept that their device is outdated (even I've had to come to the realization that the Storm1 is nearing the end of development - doesn't mean it's a bad device that is now dead, but I can't expect too much more for it). It'll be great to pass it off to my boyfriend when I upgrade to my next BB (which will hopefully be sooner than I originally planned - it'll be nice to get him off his Sony Ericsson, ugh).

The catch right now is that we don't know anything about OS 6.0, except what we've seen in screen shots and in what BGR wrote, and at this point, we don't even know for sure if the Storm2 will get it (most of us expect it will, but we really don't know). Who knows, maybe the Storm1 will get it, or maybe neither the Storm1 nor the Storm2 will get it. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.
    04-20-10 11:44 PM
    honestly alot is up in the air about OS 6 and the storm 3 for that matter. We have been told that both are great much better and more consumer oriented by a few people now. With the screen coming out for the incredible and also the new iphone HD it is going to take a alot for the storm 3 to compete on that level.

the screenshots of OS 6 look good. The 'theme' i dont care about as much as the core aspects of the OS. We can change the way the themes look now without any issue and satisfy everyones likes pretty much but you cant change the 'gestures' of how the OS works like with swiping left/right/up/down or how the options screen looks and such. Those are the things i want to see and want to see RIM shake things up with. The new flick style looks promising too.
    Last edited by howarmat; 04-21-10 at 12:00 AM.
    04-20-10 11:57 PM
    i think its most likely will b on the S3
    04-21-10 12:08 AM
    @Krypto, if we get confirmation on the Storm2 getting 6.0, would that be your next device?
    04-21-10 01:06 AM
    @Krypto, if we get confirmation on the Storm2 getting 6.0, would that be your next device?
    Lol... Maybe... I'll find out on both accounts next week I hope. If I don't get a Storm2, no biggie. I'll just wait for the Storm3 (so long as it actually makes it to market). OS 6.0 won't be the make it or break it thing for me.

Ultimately, the original Storm does what I need it to do. Switching OSes or devices won't change what I need the phone to do (which is email, bbm, some web browsing when I don't have easy access to a computer, and some media playback). The Storm does all of the above well enough and changing things isn't going to do anything except satisfy my craving for upgrading (and even then, I'll still crave that within days). If I do get a Storm2, I may take advantage of the OpenGL games, but I don't really need to.

Will OS 6.0 really change things for me? Not much. It might make things a bit more fun and may allow me to do a bit more than I do now, but realistically, I don't need it (I just want it).

04-21-10 02:01 AM
    ok, i have a question:
    are any of the old BB phone's OS's being upgraded? like the curve 88xx, pearl, etc series'?

if they are still being upgraded there's a chance 6 will run on S1, if not... well you know
    04-21-10 02:59 AM
    Seeing as many of them didn't even get the 5.0 OS upgrade and they're still running OS 4.6 and lower, I seriously doubt any of them will be upgraded. One of the big reasons is the lack of available app memory. Even if the phones were powerful enough to run OS 6.0, the fact that they have low app memory to start has basically condemned them to to the 4.x OSes.

04-21-10 03:35 AM
    so that means if the storm1 gets upgraded we're lucky!
    but we shouldn't hold our breaths, cos we might end up dead
    04-21-10 05:54 AM
    Well, there's now proof of the 9550 running 6.0. Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

04-21-10 05:58 AM
    Well, there's now proof of the 9550 running 6.0. Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

...doesn't help the 9500 users though

PS: i'm sure some fancy theme customization can give you that screen & funtionality

PPS: VERY fancy!
    04-21-10 07:16 AM
    Ok I'm gonna say it for the third time this thread...the 9500/9530 will not be getting 6.0. Mat's said it, Civics said it, and they've logically pointed out all the reasons it won't. Plain and simple, it just can't handle it. Memory, graphics, reputation, blame what you want, but that's all that really needs to be said.

And yeah, you could make a theme to look like that, but in like 18 hours? Not a chance.
    04-21-10 07:20 AM
    Regardless, pics like that may prove that the device can run it, but don't forget, there's a big step between that and carriers actually deciding to release it. Ultimately, it is still up to the carriers. (And GlitchZero, you of all people should know how slow Telus can be to offer upgrades).

Of course given that this is from WDJ designs, DJ-Icarus could be right and this may be nothing more than a theme he's managed to whip up (likely not, but that could be what it is).

04-21-10 07:25 AM
    True Krypto. That's why the BB Gods give us leaks (albeit probably from VZW), though. To prevent Telus from holding us back from 6.0-ey goodness.

And I agree to a point, but the fact that the first images leaked out yesterday, I really doubt he could whip up a full composer file and all the icons identically in a matter of half a day. Wayne's good, but he's busy with his new Six 2.0, there's no way he'd drop that just to recreate 6.0.
    04-21-10 07:40 AM
    Like I said, its unlikely its a theme, but we're still at the mercy of the carriers. Nothing will change that (until RIM changes their upgrade path system).

04-21-10 09:55 AM
    Some others have indicated the the Pics from WJD designs is a Theme mock up. Guess only time will tell.

I don't expect OS6 on the 9530. I just don't think the memory is there. Besides by the time we probably start seeing this in the wild, S3 will almost be out.
    04-21-10 12:04 PM
    If you honestly, truly believe 6.0 is just a 'smoother theme with side scrolling', just smash your Storm to pieces and get a Droid. You're mind's already made up. You've already had like 10 people here saying the Storm won't get it. It just won't. The specs in the Storm are absolute sh*t now. The S1 can BARELY handle 5.0, as you've so aptly pointed out. How do you figure it could handle 6.0? Oh, because you still own it. I see.

Face reality buddy. The S1 is old and outdated, and 6.0 will not be released for it. You should honestly just start looking now for a new phone. There is more to this new OS Than just a Precision Zen upgrade, but clearly you didn't read the article and are just spewing garbage based on the pictures, so you're not an *****, you're just uneducated on the OS (that we know so far). With WebKit, a media player overhaul, picture overhaul, just general OS functionality changes alone would have got me excited.

Instead you're pessimistic because you have a 2 year old phone and you're worried you're going to get left in the dust..Well, go get your Incredible or whatever, and in two years we'll check in on you in Droid Central saying "I better get Android 4.0 on my 2 year old phone damnit! If I don't get it I swear I'm changing to WINMO!"

EDIT: Also, load your phone up with 4.7.0.75 and tell me there was ZERO bug fixes.
    The Storm's major failure is the software, not the hardware. It's VERY similar to the S2 except for app memory. I love the clickscreen and it's going to be tough to move away from that. And I'm used to the BB OS, so I'm hesitant to change...this 6.0 really needs to be great, I think RIM's consumer success hinges entirely on it.

The 9530 does have limited app memory but I don't think that's a major shortcoming for launching this new OS. In the least, RIM could give us the webkit browser.

Let's see the first leak and how big this OS is. If it's a similar size to the current OS, or even 10-15 MB larger, there's no reason it shouldn't be released for the 9530...unless they want to bait you into buying the new model for 2 more years.

The 8330 series was supported forever...I expect the same loyalty to us.
    04-21-10 01:49 PM
    After reading plenty of forums I see lots of people say the storm 1 have to low of app memory to handle OS 6.0 but I wonder if this is just a software issue where application memory is set with the OS. Meaning if RIM were to change how the OS to dedicate more memory for application than device will this work. Furthermore, who is to say that the OS will not be saved to the Device memory thus freeing up more application memory? I think if they fix this issue then this device would be a winner. What to others think?
    04-21-10 02:11 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD