Please say it so. Anyone check out the front page for crackberry?

Pinch to zoom? That sounds like fighting words to apple. Uh oh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 12:12 PM
    I'll be VERY surprised if the Storm 1 wil be able to run the OS6. More features usually means more memory is needed. This is something the Storm 1 cannot afford.
    04-20-10 12:18 PM
    I agree, the S1 doesn't seem capable. Regardless it looks sweeeet! Check it out!
    BlackBerry OS 6.0 Screenshots and Details Leak Out - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews

04-20-10 12:22 PM
    OS 6.0 will be coming to the S2
    04-20-10 12:24 PM
    Is there any hope of future support/updates for the Storm 1? I recently tried the Eris (sent it back yesterday) and really liked the Android OS but realized there was probably no future for the Eris, meaning no updated OS...

I like my Storm but was hoping for some more OS updates.
    04-20-10 12:34 PM
    I have visions of downloading OS6 to my PC, plugging in my S1 and hearing laughter from my PC speakers.

04-20-10 12:35 PM
    Cyrus, that's totally what would happen too.

Hate to say it guys but I seriously (SERIOUSLY) doubt that the Storm would even be considered for 6.0. 1) Storm2. Cmon. 2) Not enough memory. 3) It's own reputation. RIM is lowering that casket into the ground, moving ahead with the Storm2 and eventually Storm3.

And to zr...honestly..maybe 1 more official. A huge maybe. Odds are no, there won't be much more support outside of the hybrids made online.
    04-20-10 12:40 PM
    i would assume VZW will pass another official for the storm 1 at some point, i wouldnt wait for it though. And it sure as **** isnt going to be OS 6.

You are going to all have to get used to getting a new phone every 2 years and maybe even every year. That is just the way the industry looks to be going. Iphone has been doing it for 3 years now. VZW is just playing catch with their phone lineup (storm 1 & 2, Droid 1 & 2, Omnia 1 & 2 etc). Whats nice is you can get the new phone after 1 year at the same price as a new customer by signing a new 2 year agreement. I dont see a downfall if you are sticking with VZW anyway.

I told my self i was going to wait until a LTE phone came out but the last year or so have changed the way phones are. Big leaps are made every year instead of 2 like before. That is technology for you though. **** i picked up an incredible to play with along with my storm 2 just because i wanted to play with some other nice gadgets. I am just that type of person, i love technology and experiencing it.
    04-20-10 01:03 PM
    I won't be getting an RIM phone if the S1 does not get 6.0.

Android is already more appealing and forcing users to upgrade shows they will do the same thing 12 months into the future. Apple does the same thing but that doesn't mean we should be okay with it.
    04-20-10 01:47 PM
    Wow thanks mods for changing my title to this thread. Yay our first amendment is thrown out!

04-20-10 01:50 PM
    I'm holding on to my upgrade and waiting for the S3. I'm excited about the changes that are coming down the road. The S1 was, and still is, a good phone for me but I'm ready to move up. I can't wait for 6.0 to hit. If the S3 is not ready for prime time and I have to get an S2 to get 6.0 I will happily do that.
    04-20-10 02:21 PM
    I won't be getting an RIM phone if the S1 does not get 6.0.

Android is already more appealing and forcing users to upgrade shows they will do the same thing 12 months into the future. Apple does the same thing but that doesn't mean we should be okay with it.
    so you are going to get a new phone anyway and because your old phone which you wont be using anyway isnt getting a new OS you wont be a phone from that company with the new OS. if they made a course in logic you would have failed it
    04-20-10 02:21 PM
    i would assume VZW will pass another official for the storm 1 at some point, i wouldnt wait for it though. And it sure as **** isnt going to be OS 6.

You are going to all have to get used to getting a new phone every 2 years and maybe even every year. That is just the way the industry looks to be going. Iphone has been doing it for 3 years now. VZW is just playing catch with their phone lineup (storm 1 & 2, Droid 1 & 2, Omnia 1 & 2 etc). Whats nice is you can get the new phone after 1 year at the same price as a new customer by signing a new 2 year agreement. I dont see a downfall if you are sticking with VZW anyway.

I told my self i was going to wait until a LTE phone came out but the last year or so have changed the way phones are. Big leaps are made every year instead of 2 like before. That is technology for you though. **** i picked up an incredible to play with along with my storm 2 just because i wanted to play with some other nice gadgets. I am just that type of person, i love technology and experiencing it.
    Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hey buddy check out this link. It'll explain why technology is the way it is.

04-20-10 02:35 PM

I don't understand... The post you quoted is a summary of the link you posted. I don't see the point in posting that link.

If you would have read "Moore's Law" then why did you make this thread? Because if you follow the law then the there is no way that the Storm 1 will get OS 6.

Obsolescence

A negative implication of Moore's Law is obsolescence, that is, as technologies continue to rapidly "improve", these improvements can be significant enough to rapidly obsolete predecessor technologies. In situations in which security and survivability of hardware and/or data are paramount, or in which resources are limited, rapid obsolescence can pose obstacles to smooth or continued operations.
    04-20-10 03:11 PM
    Yeah, no way S1 will get OS6. However, I'm sure Lyricidal and others will figure out how to get parts of it onto our phones
    04-20-10 03:12 PM
    Spectrumpigg posted it for Howarmat to explain why there is such a fast turn around on electronic devices. And who cares. Car models do it every year and nobody bitches and moans when their car was the same price as the newer model. I like my Pinto (storm1). Just don't rear end me or my phone will explode.

04-20-10 03:16 PM

i am completely familiar with moores law. But what would be the point of a post saying "its moores law" go read a wikipedia link.
    04-20-10 03:35 PM

And to zr...honestly..maybe 1 more official. A huge maybe. Odds are no, there won't be much more support outside of the hybrids made online.
    So realistically, what would be hybrid-able? The browser? The new homescreen? The email inbox changes?

...Venting...

Right now, I am pretty disenchanted with the Storm. I was a happy camper when I got it but the limitations of the device become more and more frustrating every day. I switch between Opera and the default browser because neither one is actually delivering what I would consider an acceptable experience. Every day, I watch my memory dwindle. I'm not sure if a hybrid (or even OS6 in total) could even address the memory handling issues.

As it stands right now, I will probably be using the annual upgrade for something new in July. I don't think I will go S2 knowing that the S3 will be announced within weeks of me buying the S2. In the last year and a half, I've had two smartphones. Am I just becoming a jaded users? When I had palm PDA's and phones, the amount of apps that I could load up and run seemed so much greater than what I can run on my Storm. I'm looking for a fast OS that will let me run more than a handful of apps at a time with a nice big, clear screen. The Storm seemed like that phone but sitting here right now, I can say it wasn't.

OS5 is the end of the line for the Storm1 and I'm not sure that OS6 is enough to keep me in the Blackberry fold.
    04-20-10 03:59 PM
    honestly given the apps that are available today, a storm 2 memory should suit everyone needs. I have about 100-110 installed and still have 5x mbs of memory available to load the other 30 or so that i have purchased or access too. realistically you wont even use that many. Some i have installed and used once maybe but never took off cause its not needed. Some i have installed didnt like and deleted but could load if wanted.

so yes we can all complain about the lack of app space but with the 256 in the storm 2 its not really a valid argument. Now once the open gl games start to get more popular then you will run into issues since they are maybe 2-5 mbs each.

If you want to get another phone then get a storm 2 off ebay for 200-300 and keep your upgrade for when the storm 3 comes around IMO. The S2 will get you by for a couple months if you are itching for something new.

Now keep in mind you still have the same browser, that wont change until the webkit is dropped. I dont mind the default RIM browser. Sure it can be better but it loads most sites without issue for me and for some things i can use opera.
    04-20-10 04:24 PM
    Don't complain about the original Storm being obsolete. That's just life. Look, not even Apple is going to continue providing updates for the iPhone 2G and 3G. It's just the way it is. It's not dead yet, it's just that there are newer things out there.

Check out your laptop. If it's 6 months old, it's already outdated as the Intel Core i3, i5, and i7 processors are available. DDR3 RAM is now common on new laptops, LED backlit screens are now getting installed on even lower cost laptops. It's just what happens. It doesn't mean that your 6 month old laptop won't work anymore. It will still work fine until you finally have an application you want to install that won't work on the old system. At that point, you'll go out and buy a new one.

Same thing here. The Storm1 still works fine and will continue to work fine until you want to install an application that won't work on the Storm1. When you hit that point, you can choose whether you want to go out and purchase a new version, or leave the application behind. This isn't complicated when it comes to things like computers, so why is it such a big deal for phones?

OS 5.0 works on the Storm. It would work better if the carriers would release an OS version which had no or nearly no bugs, but it does work. If you want access to OS 6.0 and can afford it, then go out and get a new phone that can handle it. It's not that complicated. If you can't afford it, well, OS 5.0 does work, so we shouldn't complain.
    04-20-10 04:37 PM
    Yeah, no way S1 will get OS6. However, I'm sure Lyricidal and others will figure out how to get parts of it onto our phones
    Stop dreaming of hybrids of Apps that aren't designed to work with an OS lesser then what it was designed to work with. This is the same reason you don't see hybrids with apps from OS5 working on OS4.7 core (i.e. the SFI file).

Once more time, since people don't seem to grasp it. OS version is controlled by the SFI file, APPS and only apps are in the Java folder. Without a matching OS (i.e. Platform file) within the same package range, it ain't happening.
    04-20-10 05:02 PM
    i am completely familiar with moores law. But what would be the point of a post saying "its moores law" go read a wikipedia link.
    The only reason I put that up because most people don't know about that nor the technological singularity. Its mind boggling that most think they know technology but are just talking out of their hind ends lol! Mad props that you know.

04-20-10 05:43 PM
    Remember though, that cars and computers are in different stages of their life cycles (speaking for the average user). The difference between the Storm 1 and Storm 3 is huge in the industry compared to the difference between a 2008-2010 Camry, or a computer.

While hardcore users may notice big changes depending on their needs, Moore's law felt more applicable back in the 90s. Then, if you went two years without a new computer you'd obviously be obsolete. You don't get the same feeling today.

Also, all RIM is doing here is putting on a new skin while hopefully fixing bugs. This is the buggiest OS out there, as Civic has pointed out in basically every thread since she got the S1. The slider is not the S3 - it's going to AT&T - does anyone think RIM will do anything to drastically improve functionality?

Apple adds front facing cameras, multitasking, a flash camera...these are features that could/should have been there much earlier but they are improving on their major functionality flaws. RIM is on the defensive trying to kill the bugs as fast as possible. This is a POSITIVE step but still not enough information is available to see if it will make apps easier to develop.

And seeing how 6.0 is mostly just easy bug fixes with a new UI, I don't see why we can't cry when our 18 month old phone is suddenly too out of date and unsupported. What happens with 6.0's shortcomings 12 months after the S3 is released? Do we get dropped again? I don't trust them.
    04-20-10 07:11 PM
    6.0 is more likely going to be for the Storm2. Time to upgrade =)

04-20-10 07:56 PM
    I have visions of downloading OS6 to my PC, plugging in my S1 and hearing laughter from my PC speakers.

Hahahaha and then looking around to see if anyone noticed.

04-20-10 07:57 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD