Sure would be nice to just put your finger on the screen instead of having to type in a password all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Outstanding idea! I LOVE IT!!!!
    07-15-09 07:28 AM
    There is more about the software than people know. Relax, everything will be fine.
    Like multiple tabbed pages in the native browser?
    07-15-09 09:34 AM
    Also, is the Storm's screen even able to display a 60FPS video at 60FPS? I was watching a Moonwalk video on my gf's iPod Touch, and the Youtube video played at 60FPS. I tried to play the same video off of the YouTube mobile website (which ends up streaming to the OS's built in player) and it played at what appeared to be 30FPS. Is this a hardware issue, or can higher video playback capabilities be achieved through software?
    How do you know the video played at 60FPS? The big difference you saw was the fact that she's watching an MP4 version of the video on her Touch and you're watching a 3gp version of the video on your Storm. That in itself will account for a lot of the video quality.
    07-15-09 09:39 AM
    Also, is the Storm's screen even able to display a 60FPS video at 60FPS? I was watching a Moonwalk video on my gf's iPod Touch, and the Youtube video played at 60FPS. I tried to play the same video off of the YouTube mobile website (which ends up streaming to the OS's built in player) and it played at what appeared to be 30FPS. Is this a hardware issue, or can higher video playback capabilities be achieved through software?
    What you are watching through the storms browser is a but down .3gp video, not the same MPEG4 that the ipod/iphone plays. However if you download the vision youtube player for the storm it you will get the same quality videos.
    07-15-09 09:42 AM
    What you are watching through the storms browser is a but down .3gp video, not the same MPEG4 that the ipod/iphone plays. However if you download the vision youtube player for the storm it you will get the same quality videos.
    NEGATIVE. The Vision player only plays 3gp version of YouTube video as well. Just like the YouTube app for BB does the same thing. There is no current BB YouTube video app that allows for playing the MP4 streams.
    07-15-09 09:45 AM
    NEGATIVE. The Vision player only plays 3gp version of YouTube video as well. Just like the YouTube app for BB does the same thing. There is no current BB YouTube video app that allows for playing the MP4 streams.
    Then this option is for what?

There is a difference in the quality of video that is played as well.
    07-15-09 09:49 AM
    An your opinion is the only one that matters?

What theme are you running? Maybe you could ship it off to Apple and they will use it on the next Iphone. Because I know your theme developer is making more money off of his theme than Apple is with the Iphone.

Ya know why I like Iberry because out of all the themes I have tried it doesn't seem to bog my Storm down and the Icons are nice an crisp an oh yea it doesn't look like this...

This theme stinks an I am sick of looking at it.
    Thanks for reminding me just how bad the original theme looks, Valace!

haha
    07-15-09 10:29 AM
    There's no way that vid was 60fps. Hosting compressed video that's more than 30fps is stupid, it's essentially double the size of what it needs to be for a vid to appear smooth to the human eye. Besides, that vid was likely recorded when 60i (~30fps) was the defacto standard in film.

The device's display can probably display smooth enough frame rates to where you won't see any jitter, but I couldn't say how high it can go.
    07-15-09 11:58 AM
    i think a video compared the new iphone's FPS and it maxed at like 30fps.
    07-15-09 12:00 PM
    i think a video compared the new iphone's FPS and it maxed at like 30fps.
    Sounds logical, anything more than that uses more processing power, and therefore battery life, than is worth it for little no no perceived improvement.
    07-15-09 12:03 PM
    Re-read it this way.

Why are you twisting my words? I typed it correctly.

07-15-09 12:58 PM
    Why are you twisting my words? I typed it correctly.

Without the comma it reads like you're asking why 5.0 has biometric APIs. With the comma it reads like you're asking if 5.0 will have biometrics APIs.

I'm guessing you mean the latter, so I'm not sure you typed it correctly.
    07-15-09 01:52 PM
    I wasn't aware of the .3gp and .mp4 streaming on iPod-t/iPhone vs. Storm. So what filetype does the Youtube app for our Storms stream? How about the Youtube Mobile site that brings up the Storm's native video player? And on the iPhone, both the Youtube app and Youtube mobile site stream .mp4?

I'm confused.

As for the 60FPS thing, I'm probably wrong. But the video appeared to be much more fluid than the same video playing through the Storm's native player. So this is purely a filetype issue and not a software/hardware issue?
    07-15-09 03:42 PM
    I wasn't aware of the .3gp and .mp4 streaming on iPod-t/iPhone vs. Storm. So what filetype does the Youtube app for our Storms stream? How about the Youtube Mobile site that brings up the Storm's native video player? And on the iPhone, both the Youtube app and Youtube mobile site stream .mp4?

I'm confused.

As for the 60FPS thing, I'm probably wrong. But the video appeared to be much more fluid than the same video playing through the Storm's native player. So this is purely a filetype issue and not a software/hardware issue?
    The site and mobile player for every phone except the iphone use .3gp, which is pretty crappy. The iphone uses the higher quality mp4, or whatever codec.

Yea, 3gp isn't that great, and it's horribly compressed so the framerate is likely well under 30, probably closer to 15-20, so it can look choppy. And yes, it's a codec/filetype issue, not a hardware issue, 30fps vids look fine on my phone.
    07-15-09 05:15 PM
    Without the comma it reads like you're asking why 5.0 has biometric APIs. With the comma it reads like you're asking if 5.0 will have biometrics APIs.

I'm guessing you mean the latter, so I'm not sure you typed it correctly.
    Yeah, what you said.

07-15-09 05:23 PM
    Yeah, what you said.

I'm not asking if.I'm asking why. Geez.

07-15-09 06:10 PM
    Then this option is for what?

There is a difference in the quality of video that is played as well.
    I looked again at the app to make sure, but from everything I can see, the app, just like the browser and the YouTube app made by Google only seem to give access to the low resolution videos. The iPod Touch and iPhone ALWAYS play the higher quality formats. That's why it looks so good on those devices.
    07-15-09 07:04 PM
    I wonder why Youtube hasn't opened up MP4 streaming for non-iPhone/iPod devices. It's not like the Storm CAN'T play MP4
    07-15-09 10:41 PM
    Currently the Storm does have some issues streaming MP4 files sometimes. This is why the High resolution movie trailers in Poynt don't work. RIM really needs to fix that.
    07-15-09 10:42 PM
    I see, I hope we don't have to wait for OS 5.2 for something like that. I wonder if that's fixed in 5.0.0.xxx?
    07-15-09 10:44 PM
    For those that PM'd me, yes, tabbed browsing WILL be in OS 5 on the Storm as well, and its sweet as h*ll.
    07-16-09 07:13 AM
    Wow that will be really nice. I'm thinking there will be slot more changes in 5.0 than people think. People are going to badmouth it for now cause the gui hasn't changed and they just don't know all the changes that will be in it. That doesn't mean functionality will be the same. We should wait to judge till it comes out.

07-16-09 07:20 AM
    For those that PM'd me, yes, tabbed browsing WILL be in OS 5 on the Storm as well, and its sweet as h*ll.
    Oh SNAP,,,, this just made my day and soon the storm will be the holy grail of a phone I have been looking for.

07-16-09 07:25 AM
    Is the browser any better besides that?
    07-16-09 11:01 AM
    I hope they soup up the tabbed browsing feature. From everything I've heard, the implementation is rather poor. Instead of being menu based, can we just get a swipe left or right?

I'm sure they have a long way to go, so I'm hopeful they'll polish it up by game time.
    07-16-09 12:36 PM
155 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD