Just wondering, about how long should this process take. It's been plugged in for over 40 mins and still says "Device Backup Data"
    OMG my usertext plays true. i had to put in my password... rofl
    11-30-08 06:11 PM
    download and install and try it out yourself.

Eakrish - download, run it, and then run download manager. from there choose the add/remove/update option
    I've downloaded and "Run" this twice and I still get "No updates necessary for your device" when I use the Update System Software in DM 4.7.

Any idea why this is? When I check the Details on the OS is says Installed Version: ...65 Available Version ...65 ????
    11-30-08 06:14 PM
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled this update about 10x today and i can't figure it out. Here is what I am doing.... (someone please help!) after I download and install the leaked version I open desktop manager, then I connect my blackberry... it gives me the option to upgrade to v.75 so i select then... then it starts to back up everything and then says connecting to Boot ROM... then the phone restarts... still says connecting to Boot ROM... phone restarts again... then it says Error " A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software, Please try again" I can't figure it out... My phone will then restart and work fine in version .65 , if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated... I don't know if this matter but I am on a mac... running the new version of paralles... Thank you!!!
    11-30-08 06:17 PM
    Thanks Don! This seems to be running great on my berry so far!
    11-30-08 06:24 PM
    [QUOTE=Glenn668;1079695]Are we wasting our time?

other versions left dead in their tracks : Boy Genius ReportWhat�s that? You somehow got a hold of the 4.7.0.75 OS for the BlackBerry Storm? Well, in this heavily-connected world we call BG Land, you�re already rockin� something old. We�re running 4.7.0.76 on our Storm, and boy, does this thing improve a whole heap more than 4.7.0.75 did. Here�s a list of the improvements we�ve found (and bugs):

wow! I was all happy and now this!!!!
    Last edited by dave8534; 11-30-08 at 06:34 PM.
    11-30-08 06:28 PM
    The installer worked very nicely. My Storm is restoring now.
    I was thinking about going back to my curve, but I'll check this and the new update out (when it's released)
    11-30-08 06:31 PM
    Thanks, Don! I'm a Newbie, and this might help me decide to keep my Storm...btw, super easy to download and install!
    11-30-08 06:39 PM
    This is awesome, thanks for the info! Took me about 35 minutes from start of download to up and running, so now it's time to check out the improvements :-)

Also tried the "padding" on top of the battery, definitely causes the screen to click better, what a great fix! (hopefully just temporary, they better come up with a solid fix/improvement to this!)
    11-30-08 06:43 PM
    I would like to see a ChangeLog from Blackberry or someone. I would like more significant new features.

Here are my findings so far from my original bugs.

1) When device is turned off and audible keyboard is enabled device still beeps FIXED
    2) When in call, pressing the phone to your face causes transition from speaker, to mute, to flash, etc., plus an annoying beep. Beep fixed, but phone transcends in to sub-menus such as "Show Keypad", "Notes", "Home", "Calendar", "View Contact". Proximity is working now on the main buttons, but still disabled for the ones mentioned above. Result 66% FIXED
    3) Battery Issue - Undetermined
    4) Unable to Delete Flickr and Facebook Completely (I am not going to be their ***** just cause I use blackberry) - NOT FIXED
    5) Screen Lag in Various Apps - PARTIAL I found that when brining up images and rotating the phone during the page initialization caused a huge lag. I suspect it's going to take several more updates.
    6) Portrait Landscape Over Sensitivity when in the Horizontal - NOT FIXED When doing BB from a horizontal position blackberry changes orientation too easily.

Features I wish I had that I don't:

1) Vibrational Key Press Response
    2) Tab, Shift-Tab on Keyboard
    3) Selector Zoom (aka iPhone)
    4) Key Press Indicator above key (aka iPhone)
    5) Page/List Navigation Capabilities with Acceleration (aka iPhone)

Please keep in mind this is my first Blackberry, so I am new. Also note that all my BES services came back no problem.

Regards,

TheWitness
    Great post, i am excited as **** about #2!!!

I agree with your #1 want, it should have an option to have no click kb w/ vibration, and a click kb w/ vibration. of course all options.

your number 4 would be a good option too.
    11-30-08 06:53 PM
    Not only am I not too slick when it comes to tech stuff, but I also have a mac! Is there a way for me to do this upgrade? Or will it happen through the network?
    Thanks in advance,
    peace Jude
    11-30-08 06:57 PM
    You do realize that you have to install it right.

I have vista and I did not have a problem.
    If you are deleting the vender.xml file... DON'T

you are using vista 32 or 64? Is the guy with problems using vista 64? I could 64 being more likely to have issues.

DId you run the update or the DM install as administrator? Compatibility mode?
    11-30-08 07:01 PM
    thanks for the update info. works great so far.
    11-30-08 07:09 PM
    Don, Thanks for the update, man. I'm a Treo convert, and I found the update relatively easy, if you follow the directions.

Glad you were able to leak this and we'll keep an eye out for .76+
    11-30-08 07:16 PM
    Ok I never installed desktop manager on my PC.

As soon as i got the phone, i setup BES on it with OTA password activation and it d/l all my stuff from the exchange server.

So now, i am home, and want to do the update.

Can i,

1) safely install desktop manager on my home pc, and connect it to the phone, even though the phone is setup to use BES.

2) install the software from the CD that came with the phone on vista 32?

3) should i download the latest update/sp from the bb website INSTEAD of installing it from CD.

4) or should install it from CD and then d/l the latest service packs for desktop manager on my phone?

5) once i am about to do the update, do i need to backup anything? I have no 3rd party programs installed. So i assume i would need NO backup when i do the desktop manager, since all my stuff is on the BES server?

thanks for the help!
    11-30-08 07:18 PM
    I don't know whats going on.... I've been hooked up and "updating" now for probably 30 to 40 minutes... I had to actually click thru a few screens on the blackberry during the "update" process, (click-thru demos and what not) which wasn't mentioned in previous posts to this thread, and it looks as if the "update" process is complete(all icons restored, about shows v4.7.0.75 (platform 4.0.0.94) but my storm has not cycled off, it is still connected to the dm software and is showing "Connecting to device" in the dm software.....

Could someone please tell me wtf is going on because right now I'm feeling like my storm is hooked up to life support..

Could use a little insight on this situation...

Thanks for the help..

C
    11-30-08 07:29 PM
    patience is a virtue
    11-30-08 07:30 PM
    Took about 20 minutes on my laptop. SOOOOOOO much faster.
    11-30-08 07:33 PM
    wow! I was all happy and now this!!!!
    just b/c he has .76 doesn't mean anything.

.76 may be a temp/test version and we may or may not see it. we might not see a new update until .85 or something.

Just think, what happened to .66, .67, .68, .69, .70, .71, .72, .73, and .74

edit: if anything, it's a good thing b/c it shows that rim is constantly improving
    Last edited by phillypharm; 11-30-08 at 07:46 PM.
    11-30-08 07:42 PM
    patience is a virtue

I'm filled with a variety of virtues but this looks like it's cycling thru an update process all over again..

My storm is operating.. I can and HAD TO, in order to continue during the update, click my way to various settings.

The nifty verizon wallpaper is up. Icons are restored and after I clicked thru multiple screens to get to options and the "about" screen I saw that it looks as if I'm updated to the wonder version. I've received emails and even gotten the really neat registration email from vzw.

While I "get it" that patience is a virtue, ignorance, in this case, is not bliss.
    Looks to me as if the update is rolling along through a second run.....

Can you offer up something that sheds a little more light on the process than "patience is a virtue"?

Basically, wtf is going on with what looks like a complete run through another full update cycle...?

I've been on for more than an hour.

Did you have to do any of this? Did you have to make various selections on your storm during the update process? Did you have to cycle through the "Connecting to device" phase twice? That's what I'm looking at.. The cool little blue progress bar sliding through its second round....

Patience is a virtue but knowledge is power...

A little more detail would be appreciated...

C
    11-30-08 07:44 PM
    according to my friend at verizon...updates can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 90 minutes...so there isn't really anyway for us to tell without being there...
    11-30-08 07:49 PM
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled this update about 10x today and i can't figure it out. Here is what I am doing.... (someone please help!) after I download and install the leaked version I open desktop manager, then I connect my blackberry... it gives me the option to upgrade to v.75 so i select then... then it starts to back up everything and then says connecting to Boot ROM... then the phone restarts... still says connecting to Boot ROM... phone restarts again... then it says Error " A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software, Please try again" I can't figure it out... My phone will then restart and work fine in version .65 , if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated... I don't know if this matter but I am on a mac... running the new version of paralles... Thank you!!!
    I tried 3-4 times to get this to work - same setup as you (mac, latest version of Parallels). Finally gave up and was successful using a Dell PC.

I know this doesn't help you with your Mac but maybe you can get your hands on a PC???
    11-30-08 07:51 PM
    according to my friend at verizon...updates can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 90 minutes...so there isn't really anyway for us to tell without being there...
    Ok..... Thank you.....

Is what is happening and what I am seeing typical...? Routine....?

It looks as if my device is updated and operating. I can browse to the "About" and see the updated version and platform. I was required, during the update, to click on various screen prompts in order to continue and, as it stands now, can click on whatever I needed or wanted to and yet I am still updating ( I GUESS....) and its through its second round of progress....

I appreciate your information but its not answering my question(s) or shedding light on concerns..

So.......... Whats going on here.......? This doesn't sound typical..
    11-30-08 07:56 PM
    Don, I joined just to say thank you! I was just about to take the original POS back when I found your upgrade. MUCH BETTER!!!!! It is now the device it should be.
    I 2nd that. Tx!
    11-30-08 08:00 PM
    [QUOTE=kuroshio;1075287] And earlier today I learned how easy it is to wipe and restore my Storm.

Can you tell me how to back up, then wipe and restore my Storm? any links to detailed directions? Would be very much appreciated.
    11-30-08 08:05 PM
    Ok..... Thank you.....

Is what is happening and what I am seeing typical...? Routine....?

It looks as if my device is updated and operating. I can browse to the "About" and see the updated version and platform. I was required, during the update, to click on various screen prompts in order to continue and, as it stands now, can click on whatever I needed or wanted to and yet I am still updating ( I GUESS....) and its through its second round of progress....

I appreciate your information but its not answering my question(s) or shedding light on concerns..

So.......... Whats going on here.......? This doesn't sound typical..
    is it updating core applications?
    11-30-08 08:08 PM
1,452 ... 3031323334 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD