DL'd and upgraded OS successfully.

In addition to what everyone else has remarked I would add just a few things, possibly unique to my device, but maybe there are others out there who experienced the same issues:

When connected to the computer the custom ringtones/alerts did not work. I have already received a call while connected to the computer and to my surprise (post update) the phone rang!

Answering the phone with touch screen actually works (no need to click 3+ times).

Generally one click works when doing anything. Previously, clicks would not register the first time.

Keyboard now displays the word "espacio" instead of space when typing in Spanish.

Pictures definitely load faster!

Overall, I am very pleased with the performance!!!
    11-30-08 10:35 AM
    I can't get the computer to pic up that the bb is connected..
    Try to load it as if it did recognize your BB, most times it will force load the OS..
    If not, go into the tips and tricks and do a search for recovering a nuked BB..
    It's really not that big of a deal, just adds an hour to the upgrade...
    11-30-08 10:36 AM
    How do I revert back to the old software version after applying this update?

I did a backup before upgrading and I just ran a restore, but my s/w version is still new.
    To downgrade your OS you need to first remove the new OS from your PC, then install your original OS (4.7.0.65) which you can download from VZW, delete the vendor.xml for good measure. Then connect your phone and launch the Desktop Manager, it should recognize the OS and take over. If you hit the Tips and tricks forum there are many very well written procedures, including this one: Proper Upgrade/Downgrade Procedure. I would say enjoy but it seems you have not found much joy in your new device.
    11-30-08 10:36 AM
    i have a replacement storm ordered. should i not install this update yet as i will be returning it?
    11-30-08 10:37 AM
    i have a replacement storm ordered. should i not install this update yet as i will be returning it?
    When will the new Storm be in your hands? If it's tomorrow, no I wouldn't upgrade. If it'll be a few days, I would. But it's up to you.
    11-30-08 10:39 AM
    When connected to the computer the custom ringtones/alerts did not work. I have already received a call while connected to the computer and to my surprise (post update) the phone rang!

Answering the phone with touch screen actually works (no need to click 3+ times).

Generally one click works when doing anything. Previously, clicks would not register the first time.

Keyboard now displays the word "espacio" instead of space when typing in Spanish.

Pictures definitely load faster!

Overall, I am very pleased with the performance!!!
    Glad there are improvements for you! The issue with your ringtones may be because they are on your storage (either internal or micro SD) and it is going into "mass storage mode" when you are plugged into the computer. If you reset while on the computer and were using a pic as a background it will revert to something else until you unplug the USB......little quirks.
    11-30-08 10:39 AM
    i don't know. my local verizon store ordered it and it is shipping to their store, so either the 8th or 15th???
    11-30-08 10:40 AM
    my phone had a problem during the reconnecting to JVM part and crashed so i had to reload the OS then go back and reload the programs but no big deal since i had a backup

happy to report the phone is a heck of alot more responsive
    11-30-08 10:41 AM
    Try to load it as if it did recognize your BB, most times it will force load the OS..
    If not, go into the tips and tricks and do a search for recovering a nuked BB..
    It's really not that big of a deal, just adds an hour to the upgrade...
    Still nothing...the computer just takes 5 minutes to search and then says that it can't connect and if I want to retry..
    11-30-08 10:42 AM
    well no one ever gave me an answer and I did a search as to why I can not back up. So screw it, Im going for it. I was able to do a third party backup with device switch wizard and did an overide sync to Outlook. I had this same problem with my Curve and dont recall how I overcame the error while trying to do a backup. I though Crackberry was suppose to have the answers to everything??? LOL
    11-30-08 10:44 AM
    To downgrade your OS you need to first remove the new OS from your PC, then install your original OS (4.7.0.65) which you can download from VZW, delete the vendor.xml for good measure. Then connect your phone and launch the Desktop Manager, it should recognize the OS and take over. If you hit the Tips and tricks forum there are many very well written procedures, including this one: Proper Upgrade/Downgrade Procedure. I would say enjoy but it seems you have not found much joy in your new device.
    Nope. You only delete the vendor.xml if you are not on Verizon.
    11-30-08 10:46 AM
    Open your desktop manager, plug up device and load the file application through the icon titled application loader. I'm pretty sure that's it. You should consider doing a backup prior, as the poster stated that your device could be bricked.
    11-30-08 10:47 AM
    I don't have the icon..should I just take the phone in to them and let them deal with it?

THE COMPUTER CAN'T CONNECT WITH THE DEVICE PERIOD
    11-30-08 10:50 AM
    thank you so much for the update. I followed the instructions and it worked beautifully
    Thank you Again
    11-30-08 10:51 AM
    Still nothing...the computer just takes 5 minutes to search and then says that it can't connect and if I want to retry..
    have you tried disconnecting and a BB battery pull/ pc reboot then retry with dm, as CX suggested.., make sure you use the same port as you used when your BB did connect..
    well no one ever gave me an answer and I did a search as to why I can not back up. So screw it, Im going for it. I was able to do a third party backup with device switch wizard and did an overide sync to Outlook. I had this same problem with my Curve and dont recall how I overcame the error while trying to do a backup. I though Crackberry was suppose to have the answers to everything??? LOL
    I wouldn't get too worried about it. I was having a similar problem. Manual complete backups were failing with an unknown error, so I started backing everything up - one database at a time. I was getting the error on Location Based Services. I probably could have uninstalled LBS, done a full backup and moved forward, but I was too lazy. I saved my manual backup (less the LBS DB) and then loaded the new OS. I told the app loader to do a backup during the upgrade process which it did successfully. Once .75 booted all of my settings were restored.
    There is NO reason to delete the Vendor XML file. As of now there is only one carrier who has the 9530 and since the OS specifically says 9530, theres no need.
    11-30-08 10:54 AM
    I download the update...followed all of the steps that everyone said to do and while it was updating my phone reset and then the computer says " A fatal error has occurred while updating your device software, please try again" any suggestions??? thanks... by the way it wont get past the connecting to Boot Rom process...
    Last edited by Zube41; 11-30-08 at 11:00 AM.
    11-30-08 10:56 AM
    Glad someone one was able to get this posted for the masses... CB was becoming a near riot for those of us that had the chance to update earlier and couldnt share.
    Hey dude... just wanted to apologize. I was one of the doubters from your post the other night.
    11-30-08 10:56 AM
    have you tried disconnecting and a BB battery pull/ pc reboot then retry with dm, as CX suggested.., make sure you use the same port as you used when your BB did connect..
    I tried that once with no luck..
    11-30-08 10:57 AM
    Thank you Don! This is excellent.

I'm a BES user... updated without issue, did a *228 and then did a wired Enterprise Activation (currently at 65%).

I knew the update would be done and final before the 8/9th... and was hoping someone would leak it. Thank you SO much!
    11-30-08 10:58 AM
    Thank you for posting.

As a Mac user, do I have any other options than an OTA?
    11-30-08 10:59 AM
    a. When will VZW be shipping phones with this release? I assume that phones being produced to hit the stores the 8th will have this new release and also the modified back cover so you don't need the paper trick?

b. is there another release coming on top of this in the very near future (say before new year), and if anyone knows about it, what will it address?
    11-30-08 11:00 AM
    I tried that once with no luck..
    I download the update...followed all of the steps that everyone said to do and while it was updating my phone reset and then the computer says " A fatal error has occurred while updating your device software, please try again" any suggestions??? thanks... by the way it wont get past the connecting to Boot Ram process...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/

sorry... it will come back, you just added some time and adrenaline to the mix...

Just keep trying and posting results or questions, there's a ton of help here, and alot of people will be in your shoes over the next couple months...
    11-30-08 11:01 AM
    WOW when i finished updating last night there were 16 pages, i check back this morning and there are 42 pages!!! LOL my updates is working great, Thanks!
    11-30-08 11:01 AM
1,452 ... 2324252627 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD