marcus..

have you not experienced any lag with apps or browsing?

from what I've read the reason the color banding first came up was that RIM discovered it was taking too much to render the graphics, which slowed the device down, so they compromised the graphics in order to have everything else be speedy....

If you're not experiencing any slow down anywhere, it makes me wonder if their whole graphics slowdown theory was incorrect....
    Wade, surprisingly, there is not much lag. It is ALMOST as fast as BBCrackmans last hybrid, with full color

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 04:26 PM
    anyone?

10char
    No, you have to swap out java files to correct QL.
    05-20-09 04:33 PM
    Just tried to install .148 with the .90 radio code. Got VSOD and continous reboots to VSOD.

Going back to .75 as I type....
    05-20-09 04:39 PM
    call quality,... signal strength?
    05-20-09 04:43 PM
    Unfortunately, no but I believe there is a fix for it already.
    will this fix the quicklaunch flickering issue?
    05-20-09 04:43 PM
    Sorry rericson.....thx for giving it a try!
    Just tried to install .148 with the .90 radio code. Got VSOD and continous reboots to VSOD.

Going back to .75 as I type....
    05-20-09 04:45 PM
    As good as .141 was for me. Very good!
    call quality,... signal strength?
    05-20-09 04:47 PM
    How do you guys use Pandora and Slacker with no 3G??? Anyway I cannot get any of those to work on my phone or any of the other music radio apps...

HELLLLLPPPP!!!!

THANKS!!!!
    05-20-09 05:22 PM
    If someone used OS .148 with .90 radio code and they still get random reboots and such, maybe give it a try with .75/.76 radio code... Did someone give that a try yet?
    05-20-09 05:49 PM
    Got a quick question. My only reason I left .90 was because whenever I recorded video, it would freeze and then video recorded would be deemed unplayable ("Error in media player"). Had this problem when I crossed it with other leaked OSs. Can OP and anyone else check and see if you can record 2 or 3 videos for a duration of 1 minute without freeze and reboot? Thanks.
    05-20-09 06:21 PM
    If someone used OS .148 with .90 radio code and they still get random reboots and such, maybe give it a try with .75/.76 radio code... Did someone give that a try yet?
    I heard this could brick ur storm, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm running the .148 and 90 radio code. Only had one freeze while using Pandora and the Amazon app simultaneously. Had to do a battery pull, but nothing since then.
    05-20-09 06:34 PM
    Thanks for reply... Gonna try tonight anyway but wad gonna try to save myself trouble if someone already did.

05-20-09 06:37 PM
    I'd like to learn a little more about the whole concept of radio codes, but my search isn't coming up with anything.

When I opened the Swap-A-Radio program, it lists radios up to .141. It seems to me that the newer the radio, the better it'd be?
    Technically speaking, the newer the "radio"; the newer the OS.

If you're using the .90 "radio" code (SFI file); you're running the .90 OS "kernel"; the only thing .148 you'd be running are the java apps themselves (COD files, which to be fair are responsible for a fair amount of functionality of the device)

To make it simple, in the Windows world on a PC, the underlying core of the OS is called the NT kernel. On a Blackberry device, the kernel resides in the SFI file, as do the hardware drivers for the device, including the radios (bluetooth, CDMA, GSM, GPS, etc) - A .148 OS using the .90 "radio" code is no more a .148 OS than a Windows 2000 PC (NT 5.0) hacked to run Windows XP's (NT 5.1) built-in applications would be a Windows XP PC. This is why the .90 code won't "play nice" with the .148 COD files, the OS kernel is simply too old to run the new java applications.

It just seems that marcuswyse prefers the .90 OS kernel, as it seems to work best for him.
    05-20-09 06:48 PM
    I'm confused on what you mean by color banding. Are you talking about something on the screen messing up with calls?
    Trust me, it's not something you'll notice unless you stare at your icons all day. On .90; the color gradient on the icons is smooth, and on the later builds you can see distinct bars of color instead of a smooth transition. It's most noticable on 3rd party themes, but alot of those are being fixed to make it a non issue. It doesn't affect the media player or any 3rd party apps, and was simply done to allow quick GUI scrolling even with alot of home screen apps.
    05-20-09 06:53 PM
    So I've read so far that the .148 radio is pretty good. So will using the .90 radio be better, worse, or about the same?

Edit: what I'm asking is actually about the reception as this would be referring to the radio, would I be correct about this?
    Last edited by Stormified; 05-20-09 at 07:15 PM.
    05-20-09 07:11 PM

If you're using the .90 "radio" code (SFI file); you're running the .90 OS "kernel"; the only thing .148 you'd be running are the java apps themselves (COD files, which to be fair are responsible for a fair amount of functionality of the device)

To make it simple, in the Windows world on a PC, the underlying core of the OS is called the NT kernel. On a Blackberry device, the kernel resides in the SFI file, as do the hardware drivers for the device, including the radios (bluetooth, CDMA, GSM, GPS, etc) - A .148 OS using the .90 "radio" code is no more a .148 OS than a Windows 2000 PC (NT 5.0) hacked to run Windows XP's (NT 5.1) built-in applications would be a Windows XP PC. This is why the .90 code won't "play nice" with the .148 COD files, the OS kernel is simply too old to run the new java applications.

It just seems that marcuswyse prefers the .90 OS kernel, as it seems to work best for him.
    I was hoping someone would post this-and in better technical terms than what I could do. From what I've read elsewhere is the radio is basically 90% of the OS and if we keep using .90 radio file with newer operating systems eventually it won't-as you say-play well on the device (if at all) So, has anyone tried .148 without doing a radio swap or have you already heard that it doesn't hold EDGE? I don't get why .90 is the only good one

05-20-09 07:16 PM

So, what you are saying is that if by running .90 radio code you're not actually running the newer .148 OS but only its java apps? So one would actually be "running" .90 OS with upgraded software intended for newer operating systems, e.g., apps intended to be run in WinVista not exactly compatible with Win2000?
    Last edited by Stormified; 05-20-09 at 07:21 PM.
    05-20-09 07:19 PM
    So just by upgrading to .148, I'm getting the .90 radio code?
    No, .148 gives you .148 radio code. You have to install .90 to get the .90 radio file and copy .90 CDMA file from .90 to .148 CDMA file, then delete .90 and then you can install .148 on your phone.
    05-20-09 07:47 PM
    So, what you are saying is that if by running .90 radio code you're not actually running the newer .148 OS but only its java apps? So one would actually be "running" .90 OS with upgraded software intended for newer operating systems, e.g., apps intended to be run in WinVista not exactly compatible with Win2000?
    Unlike windows, the phone uses the CDMA file and java folder files to operate the phone, both folders together make up the OS.
    05-20-09 07:49 PM
    Essentially, yes; although the Blackberry OS works alot differently than Windows so parallels cannot always be drawn. Lets just say that 90% of the "meat and potatoes" of the OS are in the CDMA folder. I believe the phones "About" would list v4.7.0.148 (Platform 4.0.0.114) since 4.7.0.148 is the app version, and 4.0.0.114 is the platform version for .90
    05-20-09 10:07 PM
    No, .148 gives you .148 radio code. You have to install .90 to get the .90 radio file and copy .90 CDMA file from .90 to .148 CDMA file, then delete .90 and then you can install .148 on your phone.
    thank u so much. the missing piece to the puzzle. ive been asking and nobody replied to my messages. i hope this is the solution. thanks
    05-20-09 10:33 PM
    Just installed it when I got home from work. OMG i missed the color/sharpness so much... and the larger text keyboard that actually looks more appealing than the current one (big/smooth buttons/letters). It does weigh down the phone a bit on screen transitions but very minor IMO. Thanks to marcuswyse for the lookout and will be attempting tests like video (had problems before where it crashed and video file corrupted) as well as keeping a lookout for crashes.
    Last edited by BiggyMcWang; 05-21-09 at 12:40 AM.
    05-21-09 12:35 AM
    To any one running this can you confirm that the audio boost bug is still present?

05-21-09 12:42 AM
    To any one running this can you confirm that the audio boost bug is still present?

Can you elaborate on that bug?

05-21-09 12:56 AM
    hi i just installed with swamp a radio .90 with the 5.0 hybrid and its working fine. marcus said that wasnt acting right. how exactly do i know the color banding is gone. sorry i am a newb
    Last edited by ghuman89; 05-21-09 at 01:30 AM.
    05-21-09 01:26 AM
174 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD