Its out for the Iphone. I know the storm is still brand new, but I would just want to know they are developing an app for us.

if you dont want to listen to his rambling skip to 1:15

I've already emailed them

Business Development:
    [email protected]

Media Contact:
    [email protected]
    12-17-08 08:16 PM
    Orb works fine through the Storm's browser. I'd rather not have an app that would consume system resources. Is there an advantage to a dedicated app?
    12-17-08 08:20 PM
    I believe you will get an email back letting you know that the app for storm is available. look for ORB in OTA applications thread. Sticky.
    12-17-08 08:20 PM
    What's the difference between this and the Orb app we now use for the Storm? Someone created a launcher for the Orb so you can launch it straight from the home screen. I have my Orb set up to auto login so once I'm connected I can access everything on my home pc. Here's the link to the launcher which you can download OTA:

Blackberry Storm Launchers
    12-17-08 08:21 PM
    The sticky link directs you to the site where you install it on your computer. Unless it's been updated in the last week or so.
    12-17-08 08:21 PM
    Second that.... a few places you can get the direct launcher. Have it myself. got it from these forums.
    12-17-08 08:23 PM
    the ease of use for a dedicated app.
    we all wanted a dedicated app for youtube, but the mobile youtube works just the same. The youtube app is soo much easier to use then using the browser
    12-17-08 08:35 PM
    I believe you will get an email back letting you know that the app for storm is available. look for ORB in OTA applications thread. Sticky.
    There is no app for the storm, only (as of right now) a program you install on your computer, and us will use your browser to log onto your orb page, and with the browser you navigate where you want to go.

What's the difference between this and the Orb app we now use for the Storm? Someone created a launcher for the Orb so you can launch it straight from the home screen. I have my Orb set up to auto login so once I'm connected I can access everything on my home pc. Here's the link to the launcher which you can download OTA:

Blackberry Storm Launchers

Yeah I already have that on my storm Thanks! to who made it, but if anyone watches the video navigation is 1000x better with a dedicated app. The picture thumbnails BETTER! navigating BETTER!

I know I can (and I do) access everything just as much with the browser, but its all about ease of use and speed that this app can give us.
    12-17-08 08:43 PM
    Here's another video that gives a better view:

12-17-08 08:46 PM
    Ok you sold me. Unless it was off the hook though... I really don't have a problem using the web browser.
    12-17-08 08:47 PM
    Here's another video that gives a better view:

Great vid! and like I said we all wanted a youtube app, despite having access you m.youtube why not a orb app?
    12-17-08 11:12 PM
    That would be a great app
    12-17-08 11:30 PM
    That would be a great app
    With the lack of traffic/post on this thread it looks like only a few people see the advantage of a dedicated orb app
    12-18-08 01:51 AM
    There is one major difference between the dedicated orb app for the iphone and accessing it via the web. The OrbLIVE app allows you to watch live tv but the orb web access only lets you stream recorded tv shows and videos.... so yeah if they made it I'd definitely be willing to shell out some money for it.
    12-18-08 02:45 AM
    There is one major difference between the dedicated orb app for the iphone and accessing it via the web. The OrbLIVE app allows you to watch live tv but the orb web access only lets you stream recorded tv shows and videos.... so yeah if they made it I'd definitely be willing to shell out some money for it.
    Not true you just need a TV tuner on your PC, and your PC needs to be connected to your cable TV line. Also only a handful of TV tuners are compatible with orb.

Link:
    Orb | Remote PC Access Software
    12-18-08 02:53 AM
    The obvious place for Orb would be as a Favorite in your Browser. WHy clutter up your screen with yet another icon. All an "app" would really be is a launcher for the browser that takes you to the website for login.

Sure it would look slicker but for me, the minimalist approach wins out.

This service will be massive since you can store all your files on the Orb server. If this product were ever sold to corporations, that use BlackBerrys, then there is a secure extension to the corporate filing system. The guy who wrote Orb should have built this for the BlackBerry instead of the iPhoney as he would make a lot more money thru' corporate sales.

The public icon to his server is fun and convenient but it goes only so far.
    12-18-08 03:25 AM
    I'm going to keep bring up how a lot of members here was excited when we were able to get a youtube app when m.youtube was already available, but we wanted a dedicated app for youtube. I don't get the difference if its going to be something I will use often I would love to make the use easier with a dedicated app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 03:38 AM
    I used orb for the first time last night. Watch a live hockey game... was pretty sweet. The quality was ok... watchable... but still quite grainy even though I had a 2,000Kb/s connection.

What MPEG-2 codec setting are ppl using on the Orb PC settings (advanced tab). Mine is set to: DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder. Would any of the other settings offer better quality?

Would a dedicated app offer better quality?
    12-18-08 03:39 AM
    Has everyone watched the videos? You see how much easier it was for him to navigate around with the dedicated app. So much easier then using a browser

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 03:40 AM
    FYI to those who don't know, you can change the display settings to "Mobile"
    which makes the buttons bigger.
    It wasn't default for me.

However; on my phone, it will only list 3 search-results/songs/artists at a time in "Mobile" mode. Any one else have that happen? It could totally fit like 15 at least!
    12-18-08 03:53 AM
    Thadanator
    I believe its set to mobile by default. It gives me the option for Home theater or Mobile.

Also right under that option gives you __ items per page mine is set to 15, maybe yours is set to 3.

To get into putting display into mobile mode
    Log on to orb VIA storm/settings/layout/mobile or home theater

is that what your talking about??

because if it still is,,, I still get small icons having to use the cursor mode or zoom in.
    12-18-08 04:19 AM
    well to be specific, I'm using Winamp Remote (which I am pretty sure, is just orb with different colors.) I don't see any other differences, and I can log in via orb.com but it still uses the winamp skin.

And when in mobile mode, the home screen looks like this:
    Code:
    [Logo][Username]Logout
    enjoy
    Audio
    Video
    Friends
    Settings
    Home Theare Mode has a horizontal menu, with tiny words like this
    Also, items per page doens't seem to effect mobile mode.
    I wish it were more customizable.
    12-18-08 04:30 AM
    *bumping* my old thread
    hopefully some new traffic can come from this
    03-04-09 04:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD