i found these instructions several months ago, but had to return to them recently after noticing my HQ option was gone upon installing .517. since i searched CB and could not find anything, and have seen several questions on the topic in other threads lately; i figured i would post them here for everyone else.

from your phone, go to:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. ->Start Optimization **
    Test 1/7: click "yes" when you see the tiny grey heart
    Test 2/7: click "yes" when you see the puppy
    Test 3/7: click "no" when the flash lite video fails
    Test 4/7: click "click here" when pressing "5" key does nothing
    Test 5/7: Step 5 doesn't exist for some reason, move on to step 6
    Test 6/7: click "YES" - the mp4 test video Click "Yes" even though it fails
    Test 7/7: click "no" - h.263 does not work

close your browser, re-open and go to m.youtube.com and pick a video. click the text that describes the video, not the thumbnail image of the video. after clicking the TEXT DESCRIPTION, it will take you to another page (it will not automatically load the video) where you can select the HQ option.

** if clicking the link does not work, copy and paste this into your browser:
    m.youtube.com/optimize?xl=OptimizeFromHelp&hl=en&gl=US&a mp;warned=True&client=mv-google

~~UPDATED 3/25/10~~
    Last edited by SolidOrange; 03-25-10 at 05:41 PM.
    03-21-10 12:39 PM
    Thanks I was just going to start looking for that.
    HQ works again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-10 12:50 PM
    Thanks. It works again now.

03-21-10 01:19 PM
    i found these instructions several months ago, but had to return to them recently after noticing my HQ option was gone upon installing .517. since i searched CB and could not find anything, and have seen several questions on the topic in other threads lately; i figured i would post them here for everyone else.

from your phone, go to:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. ->Start Optimization
    Test 1/7: click "yes" when you see the tiny grey heart
    Test 2/7: click "yes" when you see the puppy
    Test 3/7: click "no" when the flash lite video fails
    Test 4/7: click "click here" when pressing "5" key does nothing
    Test 5/7: Step 5 doesn't exist for some reason, move on to step 6
    Test 6/7: click "YES" - the mp4 test video Click "Yes" even though it fails
    Test 7/7: click "no" - h.263 does not work

close your browser, re-open and go to m.youtube.com and pick a video. you should now have an HQ option under the vid!

*if clicking the link does not work, copy and paste into your browser

Thats awesome! Thanks Orange!
    03-21-10 02:05 PM
    The Option to Optimize does not show up on mine? I've done it before, but still no HQ option, I am running .517....
    03-21-10 02:17 PM
    From one Orange to another: Thank you!
    03-21-10 02:33 PM
    you're welcome everybody! i was hugely surprised to find that no one else had posted this here. it may not give you true HD, but the quality is definitely improved over the standard vids.
    03-21-10 02:56 PM
    Thanks a lot for this !

03-21-10 03:00 PM
    I don't see an option to optimize. :/
    03-21-10 03:21 PM
    I don't see an option to optimize. :/
    try copying and pasting the link address into your browser. i have found that sometimes just clicking the link will send you to the youtube homepage. the correct site will be nothing except an option to optimize.
    03-21-10 03:54 PM
    I did all the steps, closed my browser. But I see no HQ option under any of the youtube vids. Any one else have this happen? I'm running stock VZW 320.

Ah heck - I still watched some Ken Block vids today - even not in HQ - they are still awesome.
    03-21-10 04:13 PM
    To find it, scroll to the bottom and click help. There will be an FAQ. At the bottom, they will give you a link for optimizing. After its optimized, you will see HQ as an option. Once highlighted, it will stay on HQ as a default.

It Is night and day.

03-21-10 04:37 PM
    I did all the steps, closed my browser. But I see no HQ option under any of the youtube vids. Any one else have this happen? I'm running stock VZW 320.

Ah heck - I still watched some Ken Block vids today - even not in HQ - they are still awesome.
    maybe try a battery pull? other than that, i don't know. it worked when i was running .320 as well.

side note: if you like Ken Block, check this one out!
    03-21-10 04:37 PM
    Ahh ****, here is the link.

m.youtube.com/optimize?xl=OptimizeFromHelp&hl=en&gl=US&a mp;warned=True&client=mv-google

03-21-10 04:39 PM
    works great thanks for this
    03-21-10 05:07 PM
    To find it, scroll to the bottom and click help. There will be an FAQ. At the bottom, they will give you a link for optimizing. After its optimized, you will see HQ as an option. Once highlighted, it will stay on HQ as a default.

It Is night and day.

Thanx had forgotten that one little step! lol!
    03-21-10 06:00 PM
    try copying and pasting the link address into your browser. i have found that sometimes just clicking the link will send you to the youtube homepage. the correct site will be nothing except an option to optimize.
    Gracias. Funny how I come across things that I never even knew because I simply don't normally spend enough time away from a computer to need to access features like this on my phone.

Oh well, always better to have something and not need it than need something and not have it. :]
    03-21-10 06:04 PM
    Gracias. Funny how I come across things that I never even knew because I simply don't normally spend enough time away from a computer to need to access features like this on my phone.

Oh well, always better to have something and not need it than need something and not have it. :]
    i never used my phone to show off youtube vids until i found this fix. now i do all the time! in addition to better video, the audio seems to be improved as well. this is really only noticeable when plugged into external speakers though.
    03-21-10 09:35 PM

Some of the videos still can't be watched in high quality, I think. Not positive...but I have also encountered some videos that are 'unavailable on a mobile device'. So I assume the same holds true for HQ.
    03-21-10 09:37 PM
    That's correct. Some videos just aren't in HQ yet. I responded to a post like this during the week and suggested all these things as well. The OP (in that thread) was having trouble finding the Optimization option. I believe they found it when they signed in or under their account settings if it doesn't show up at the bottom of the page - just another place to look
    03-21-10 11:34 PM
    yep, some videos just don't have the HQ option for some reason. still, it's better than standard def only. now i don't have to be embarrassed to put my videos up against my roommates droid... except that his load about 10x faster.
    03-22-10 10:36 AM
    Thanks man. I've only been waiting for almost a year and a half for this!
    03-22-10 11:16 AM
    Thanks man. I've only been waiting for almost a year and a half for this!
    glad to help!
    03-22-10 01:43 PM
    Thanks for this!
    03-22-10 02:33 PM
    ughh. I've done the optimization twice, but still don't see any option for HQ. I've closed the browser, reopened, etc.
    nothing.. I'll do a battery pull next.
    on .320
    03-22-10 02:36 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD