I just was hoping for some general feedback on the Storm. I upgraded to a pearl flip with alltel. I obviously have the 30 days and they will have the Storm within that return period. My real question is; would you switch them out?

I use SureType, its really not a big deal either way. I have used the Storm 2x before (other ppl have let me play with theirs). It was a bit laggy, although I have another friend who has one and doesn't seem to have nearly the troubles. I also wiped one (I was using for a training purpose) and I noticed the file free was only at 43mb. That was AFTER I wiped it and any 3rd party apps. Even with my apps and over 1500 txts, my flip has 55mb free still.

My question is...have the new OS's (I dont think there have been too many) made any difference in that regard? I like my pearl flip, I wouldn't mind a bigger screen, but its not the end of the world. I really only use Social Scope, facebook, bbm, yahoo messenger as apps. I don't really put a lot of other stuff on my phone. I do use a lot of texting and general messaging.

sorry that was so long winded, I just know other Storm owners would be able to chime in on this with these opinions on the phone. Thank you in advance!!!
    05-15-09 03:37 PM
    The Storm is the biggest P.O.S in the consumer electronics market. And before people bash me for not owning one--I did own one for a couple weeks before I went back to my "old" Curve. Stick with your Pearl. There have been no "official" OS releases that anyone is happy with. The general consensus is, it ain't gonna happen soon.
    05-15-09 03:39 PM
    I would stay away from the Storm, I'm sure I won't be the only one to tell you that. With the Storm 2 already confirmed, I would wait...
    05-15-09 03:41 PM
    The Storm is the biggest P.O.S in the consumer electronics market. And before people bash me for not owning one--I did own one for a couple weeks before I went back to my "old" Curve. Stick with your Pearl. There have been no "official" OS releases that anyone is happy with. The general consensus is, it ain't gonna happen soon.
    You serious? The storm is the biggest POS in the electronics market?

What about...

05-15-09 03:43 PM
    Thank you for the opinions. I got that general idea that storm wasn't too great, just because of the different issues it has, but I mainly was asking people who used so they really know the lags. I didn't want to just get people replying who think the touch screen stuff is cool.
    05-15-09 03:48 PM
    Storm Sucks! Got one; Hate it!
    05-15-09 03:49 PM
    Depends on what you want. I would go for a storm over any pearl any day. The curve though, it's a bit iffier. I upgraded from a curve to a storm when I accidentally destroyed mine in the ocean (kinda long story).

If you're not open to the idea of running leaked/hybrid operating systems, then don't get the storm. The current .75 build running on the phones does suck.

I will say though, that I had 50 mb file free with my slimmed down OS and with most apps and all my texts/emails. It takes about two weeks to really get used to using the storm, it can be utter frustration dealing with the touch screen before that point.

I can type texts/emails/etc about twice as fast on a curve than on my storm, and it's easier to do without looking; However, the storm has a larger, higher resolution screen, is a better media player, browsing is better, and there area few other nifty things.

I had the regular pearl for two weeks, mostly hated it, and got the curve.

so, I mean, there are a few things for each side I suppose. Thing is, a new curve is coming within a few months. I for one would rather have that than the storm.
    05-15-09 03:50 PM
    oh, and as far as lag, if running a solid beta OS, there is nearly NO lag whatsoever. Once I installed .132, it felt like a new phone. I'm currently on a different one, a hybrid, but .132 is a solid OS and is nearly lag free. Makes it a fun phone.
    05-15-09 03:51 PM
    You serious? The storm is the biggest POS in the electronics market?

What about...

Oh man, this one would be a huge life saver for me with my Netflix account!
    05-15-09 03:54 PM
    There are plenty of people who will tell you either way, sometimes it seems most here hate the thing. I like mine, but it's also my first BB, first smartphone in general, so I have no basis to compare it to other options.

If you swap to a Storm from your Pearl flip, would you get another 30 days to be able to go back?
    .132 and higher make the Storm night and day! For many people who bag on the Storm, even those that have owned one previously, haven't used one at its current phase with these new OS versions.

Having a good BB background helps when switching to the Storm, and knowledge from the Storm Forums (first 3) helps making the transition much smoother. I came from a Curve and now on a Storm which I picked up used and because of the Storm forums I was armed with a wealth of knowledge needed for when I got my Storm. Currently running .132 with not a single issue and love the device.

I am a firm believer that a lot of issues people have had with the Storm have been a result of operator error; granted many devices did have hardware problems.

Good Luck!
    I would stay away from the Storm, I'm sure I won't be the only one to tell you that. With the Storm 2 already confirmed, I would wait...
    +1

(10char)
    05-15-09 03:55 PM
    Having a good BB background helps when switching to the Storm
    That's interesting. I personally believe having knowledge of BB background makes it HARDER to accept the switch. Someone who has owned a BB knows how great of a device it is, when you switch you expect the same great experience.

Someone who goes from a Nokia flip to a Storm, THEY experience an upgrade!
    05-15-09 04:00 PM
    That's interesting. I personally believe having knowledge of BB background makes it HARDER to accept the switch. Someone who has owned a BB knows how great of a device it is, when you switch you expect the same great experience.

I agree. I started with a regular flip, didn't care for it much and switched to the Curve. Then I now have a World Edition (which I love always) on my work line and I got the Pearl Flip on my personal line. I thought I would hate the pearl flip and honestly, it works even better than my Curve ever did. I've seen other people have problems but its been a little diamond in the rough for me.

I mainly like the Storm for the much larger screen, camera, and look of the phone.
    05-15-09 04:04 PM
    Depends on what you want. I would go for a storm over any pearl any day.

See, I would not. The Pearl has far less issues than the Storm. The only issue I ever had with the Pearl was lack of memory. Once I deleted the preinstalled crap, upgraded to 4.5 all is fine. You will also find alot of BlackBerry "Guru's" who own Curves, say that if their going to be emailing and texting alot, they will use the Pearl over the Curve because the Pearl has suretype. Remember, no other BlackBerry but the Storm has it's own rants and raves section here at CB, there is a reason for this...
    05-15-09 04:14 PM

Like I said, I have had a great experience with my Storm. I knew what the problems were with the Storm and what I needed to do to fix them should i run into problems.

My Storm works like a champ, and I am very happy with it.
    05-15-09 04:16 PM
    Like I said, I have had a great experience with my Storm. I knew what the problems were with the Storm and what I needed to do to fix them should i run into problems.

With ya all the way!
    05-15-09 04:18 PM
    Too bad it seems there is only a few of you here that do...
    05-15-09 04:19 PM

I agree. I went from an LG EnV to the storm and I absolutely love my BB. I feel like I am in a whole new world. But I can definitely are where previous BB owners would have issues with the switch. Thanks to crackberry I have been able to deal with most of my problems, which have been few. But then again I have no previous BB experience to compare it to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 04:23 PM
    So as long as you upgrade to 132/141 or Lyrics hybrid ASAP, I'd recommend the Storm to anyone.

If you'd rather not install unofficial VZW software, as much as I like the phone, I'd say stick with the Pearl. 75 will make you visit the Rants and Rave section on a daily basis.
    05-15-09 04:37 PM
    I know for me, I love the Storm and think it's the best Blackberry I've ever used. I was a Pearl user for quite a while, but never really got into using the browser that much because of the screen size. With the Storm, I use it all the time, and it's great. The newer leaked OS's are fantastic - it's a solid phone.

There will always be new stuff coming out around the corner, so I wouldn't worry about Storm2. As you are already comfortable with SureType, you won't have any issues with the portrait SureType keyboard either (my favorite, because the keys are bigger!).
    05-15-09 05:01 PM
    Depends on if you're lucky. I got my storm release day, still on my original one without any issues. I can type on it just as fast as any other blackberry(around 60 wpm when I really go at it. In landscape at least.) and haven't had click problems or any lag that caused issues. It seems to be really hit or miss with the Storm, or people just suck at using touch screens.

P.S. 14.4Mb free app memory.
    05-15-09 05:11 PM
    Depends on if you're lucky. I got my storm release day, still on my original one without any issues. I can type on it just as fast as any other blackberry(around 60 wpm when I really go at it. In landscape at least.) and haven't had click problems or any lag that caused issues. It seems to be really hit or miss with the Storm, or people just suck at using touch screens.

P.S. 14.4Mb free app memory.
    I also got mine launch day. I know there are mechanical/software issues on some devices, but a lot of problems I have read about are also due to people not being knowledgable about their storm or things due to human error.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 05:19 PM
    Something else to consider...1st gen storm has been around for roughly 6 months...there are well over 1 million storms running around in the US alone...a lot of the ranting and complaining you hear about the storm may very well be well deserved due to multiple os issues and what have you, but by no means represent a concensus! For every sincere heart fealt "the ish sucks" you hear, threre are at least 2 raves from folks who think its the greatest thing ever...its just that the people who do most of the ranting and comlaining tend to speak louder and more frequent than everyone else...Clearly the 1st generation storm has issues....but fill in the blank with another electronic device as highly anticipated as the storm that you couldn't say that about...The only electronic device that has ever lived to or surpass the hype surrounding its release is Lebron James...I do agree with maybe waiting for 2nd gen if you can stand it. Only because, with the upcoming pre release and the alphabet phone upgrade around the corner, im 100% certain Jim Balsillie will be at the top of his game for this one... (knock on wood)
    Last edited by dionsb; 05-15-09 at 05:29 PM.
    05-15-09 05:23 PM
    I think it's one of those things where 80% of the complaining is done by 20% of the people who have had any issues. As great as sites like this are for other things, they also tend to be the kind of places that complainers gather. Those people are a small minority of crackberry users, but unfortunately are some of the loudest.

I run a cell phone store, and I can tell you that we have sold 100s of storms. The return rate is no higher than any other Blackberry we sell.
    05-15-09 05:44 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD