How can this possibly work with the current BB OS? Wouldn't they have to redesign the GUI from the ground up so that our fat fingers can use it? I think i'd cry if we had to use a stylus! I grew up with Palms and enjoyed having a keyboard as well as a touch screen, but the OS was not very finger friendly.

Will this have the graphics capability of the iPhone? We can't really say that the BB OS is very fancy or the phones that powerful..

What do you guys think will happen? It's one think to scale down OSX onto the iPhone, but can they upscale 4.5/4.6 to a touchscreen interface? Will it be like the HTC Touch/Diamond and just have the GUI built on top of the OS?

Thanks for your thoughts, comments, and replies!
    05-19-08 06:58 PM
    Most of the icon selections/menu functions are done via selections with a trackball now. So, that's really no different then haivng you touch the area of the screen that's over those choices. The big gotcha is what they will do for a keyboard. My guess... the keyboard will be a pretty close graphic representation of the physical ones, but having slightly bigger buttons and the logic behind it to properly detect which was virtually pressed. If the screen will be the size that it's depicted as in the photochops, then there's a lot of screen realestate that can be used for the keyboard while also not interfearing with the size of the screens we're used to focusing on now. The nice part will be if you can flip it sideways or even use the entire screen to see videos and pics. I'm really hoping for something evolutionary here. RIM has a chance to make something really good.... time will tell if they have done so or not.

BTW, I'm going to play the safety card here and say that the top half of the screen (same size as the 9k) will be the screen, while the bottom half will be a static touchscreen keyboard. You won't be able to use the entire screen for stuff. It'll be just like your BB is now, but with a touch keyboard at the bottom instead of a real one like it is now. At least this is what I envision as RIM's first coming of this product.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-20-08 at 12:11 AM.
    05-20-08 12:08 AM
    I think the 1st model they come out with will be a tester like the htc touch was. It was hot for a few months, now with word of diamond...out with the old in with the new. I see rim doing a combo unit. A touch screen with the full slide kboard. If they do this and keep the track wheel... I'm sold!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 12:22 AM
    BTW, I'm going to play the safety card here and say that the top half of the screen (same size as the 9k) will be the screen, while the bottom half will be a static touchscreen keyboard. You won't be able to use the entire screen for stuff. It'll be just like your BB is now, but with a touch keyboard at the bottom instead of a real one like it is now. At least this is what I envision as RIM's first coming of this product.
    I for one can't seem RIM doing this. Every post I've read has named the lack of a physical keyboard as their #1 gripe about this phone. It would be quite stupid of RIM (in my opinion) to make a touch-screen keyboard when they could have the real thing. That would simply be a waste of space as I see it. The main advantage of touch screen devices, as in the case with the iPhone, is the large display that can be used to see what's on the screen, and having a static keyboard take up half the space would not only justify the touch-screen skeptics, but it would also deter those who would opt for the larger screen.
    05-20-08 12:24 AM
    Bumbumpbump
    12-27-08 01:06 PM
    Why did you bump this?
    12-27-08 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD