Which browser will be a better browser? I have been using Opera for a while on my wifes pearl and my sammy i730, so opera has been best browser i have had experience with.. Wonder is the oem browser will be better, worse, different?

Any opinions??
    10-06-08 07:11 AM
    No way in the world would I use Opera on this device. The native browser is just fine. I prefer it to opera anyday.
    10-06-08 07:12 AM
    No way in the world would I use Opera on this device. The native browser is just fine. I prefer it to opera anyday.
    Hi CX... on that topic... are you allowed to say how the 9500's browser compares to the iPhone's? Better/worse/same? The browser is the BIG BIG thing I'm interested in.
    10-06-08 07:19 AM
    Hi CX... on that topic... are you allowed to say how the 9500's browser compares to the iPhone's? Better/worse/same? The browser is the BIG BIG thing I'm interested in.
    I've said before I think it's just as good, if not better.
    10-06-08 07:21 AM
    Sweet. Thanks. Sorry, I'm sure you've been asked that about 60 gazillion times.
    10-06-08 07:31 AM
    have u ever tried opera? it has touch zoom, hand motion scroll, java, great for updating fantasy scores, checking bank account, transfering money, facebook, ebay, everything looks like a desktop!! hopefully oem storm browser does too!
    10-06-08 07:43 AM
    have u ever tried opera? it has touch zoom, hand motion scroll, java, great for updating fantasy scores, checking bank account, transfering money, facebook, ebay, everything looks like a desktop!! hopefully oem storm browser does too!
    Nah I never tried that. My phone/web experience is limited to messing around with my wife's iPhone and I have the WAP web on my crappy Samsung. It's not completely worthless but it is virtually worthless.
    10-06-08 07:48 AM
    I just want to be able to have more than one website open at once!
    10-06-08 08:34 AM
    I'm going to go with the fact that you have a WinMo device so what I'm going to say next will be because of that. There's a big difference between Opera Mobile (what you might be using) and OperaMini, which is the only Opera that will run on a Blackberry. While OperaMini does a much better job at rendering pages then the 4.6 and below Blackberry browser, it's nowhere close to a webkit browser, which is what OS4.7 should introduce. We'll see when the phone comes out.
    10-06-08 08:58 AM
    That is very encouraging Crucial. I'm gonna hold you to that statement!
    10-06-08 09:47 AM
    it's nowhere close to a webkit browser, which is what OS4.7 should introduce. We'll see when the phone comes out.
    Where can i find out more info on webkit or os 4.7? Also i was using Opera mini on both a pearl and WinMo, same features
    10-06-08 06:37 PM
    After having my storm for 5 days or so I can say that opera 4.2 is like 5 time faster them oem browser? R my oem settings wrong or is opera just better. Fyi I'm loving the storm so far...everything is as hoped for other then my escaped key doesn't work and never did. Just using menu..close more till stores have more stock!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 11:31 AM
    I have a Storm and I can confirm that Opera mini 4.2
    is so much faster. First you will notice opera does smooth scrolling where the oem browser has gray blocks while scrolling.

Also, and I think this is my biggest objection to the built in performance is loading pages. I don't know if it's downloading over the air or just rendering the page. Either way the BlackBerry browser takes forever to load a page compared to opera mini … Opera mini is fast on the Storm so it can be done!

Down side is the browser does not support click navigation so it can be like target practice to hit links. Also the keyboard does not always fly out in Opera.

But those are things I am sure Opera can fix in the future.

My beef is I am not sure RIMM will be able to get their browser right ever. We shall see.

So my question to everyone is why is the BlackBerry browser slow to load pages while Opera is so snappy since they are on the same Internet connection? RIMM is not doing something stupid like routing web traffic through their servers?

11-27-08 12:32 PM
    Rimm web browser is def a let down. I feel it cant scratch iphones buttock. Hopefully Opera will recode for the storm and make it work like a charm.
    11-27-08 12:45 PM
    based on your reviews im downloading opera mini now. Ill let you know what i think after using it for a day
    11-27-08 12:49 PM
    I have switched to Opera because I find it easier.

Crucial: Any clues as to what settings you are using that could make the BB Browser work better? I have been having no luck with it, especially when trying to load full HTML sites such as United.com and trying to track a flight.
    11-27-08 12:50 PM
    When you request a web page from Opera Mini, a request is sent to the Opera Mini servers. They retrieve the page, convert it into OBML (Opera Binary Markup Language,) a very compact binary markup format that reduces the page size by up to 90%, and then serve it to your phone. So it seems faster.

BUT, Opera Mini can't run javascript, process ajax, or manage dhtml because its not a real browser. Its more like a picture viewer. All Opera Mini can do is display what gets sent from the server.

So if Opera Mini works for you, that's great. But don't kid yourself -- the Blackberry Browser is a real browser with a full feature set that is much more comparable to a desktop browser.
    11-27-08 12:52 PM
    I about returned it after 2 days using Storms achingly slow browser....slower than my iphone on edge.
    Mini Opera although a bit clumsy with the touchscreen is faster than my iphone on wifi.
    Now if only we could download a good virtual keyboard....
    11-27-08 12:57 PM
    i cant seem to bring up the keyboard in opera. anyone have any advice?
    11-27-08 12:58 PM
    In settings I use large font and almost all my quick touches are on target. Lovin opera! Can set up speed dial and zip around the web lighten fast!

11-27-08 01:00 PM
    Menu key...show keyboard

i cant seem to bring up the keyboard in opera. anyone have any advice?
    11-27-08 01:00 PM
    Keyboard should come up auto when in a text box? Does for me!

11-27-08 01:05 PM
    I'm sure, but in terms of real world usage, Opera is way closer to my desktop browsing experience (in terms of display and speed)....BB's closer to dialup I had 10 yes ago.

QUOTE=mkleiman;1060390]When you request a web page from Opera Mini, a request is sent to the Opera Mini servers. They retrieve the page, convert it into OBML (Opera Binary Markup Language,) a very compact binary markup format that reduces the page size by up to 90%, and then serve it to your phone. So it seems faster.

BUT, Opera Mini can't run javascript, process ajax, or manage dhtml because its not a real browser. Its more like a picture viewer. All Opera Mini can do is display what gets sent from the server.

So if Opera Mini works for you, that's great. But don't kid yourself -- the Blackberry Browser is a real browser with a full feature set that is much more comparable to a desktop browser.[/QUOTE]
    11-27-08 01:38 PM
    I like the speed of the Opera browser, but until they make it work with the clickable screen, I'll stick with the native browser.

11-27-08 01:49 PM
    Also, if you notice that the BB browser has image quality set to medium as default, and on Opera Mini image quality is set to low as default. I'm sure that accounts for some of the speed differences.
    11-27-08 02:27 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD