02-21-09 02:48 PM
50 12
tools
    What are your guys impressions of Opera vs the default browser.

I seemed to notice when i dled Opera in ran must faster, but the keyboard had to be manually pulled up and didnt seem to integrate quite as well. Any way to get the BB browser working at Opera speeds?
    01-12-09 04:45 PM
    They are both bordering on unusable for me, slow, rendering errors and and general incompatibilities.
    01-12-09 04:54 PM
    They are both bordering on unusable for me, slow, rendering errors and and general incompatibilities.
    I agree x98956298491651619
    01-12-09 04:55 PM
    The opera version we have is NOT a storm version.

hence why keyboard doesnt pop up on its own, we tap vs click stuff.

it is much faster though, and thats why I use it instead BB browser
    01-12-09 04:57 PM
    The BB browser for me is veryyyyyyyy slowwwwww, it has problems loading simple text pages, and it freezes my BB. The Opera browser works ok...but does not seem to have been meant to use on the Storm.
    01-12-09 04:57 PM
    I've been using Opera Mini whenever I can. There are times when I HAVE to use the strom broser, because with OM, I can't input numbers, it doesn't recognize the storms number function for some reason. OM does have ALOT of quirks, but most of them you can work around, but you have to remember, it's not a version build for the storm, I'm sure one is coming soon though. But it's alot better/faster than the storm browser.
    01-12-09 05:00 PM
    i use opera as often as possible it is much faster

the storm one always hangs at like 96% and then sits there then finally loads
    01-12-09 05:17 PM
    opera is faster but less useable, but i have noticed on .86 that the regular browsers are much faster than .75.
    01-12-09 05:30 PM
    I use Opear,
    I love it, im so used to it.
    Its so much FASTER
    Hopefully they will develop a venison for the Storm soon tho.
    01-12-09 05:49 PM
    I did use opera, but I had to switch back to the BlackBerry browser. The BlackBerry browser works great for me. I agree that opera mini is faster, but until the storm version of it comes out I'll be using BlackBerry browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 05:56 PM
    You know... to be completely honest, I have never had a problem with the BB browser. Never needed to even try Opera on my Storm because of that. I don't know what's up with the rest of you guys but my Storm just kicks ***.

Except for a random "input error" that occurs randomly when I'm typing in BB messenger that resets the device... VERY annoying, I'll say that much. But browser wise? No complaints. I prefer BB as it's just easier to use.
    01-12-09 06:04 PM
    opera = 10 times faster
    01-13-09 12:16 PM
    It might be crazy but on my storm, the stock browser is very quick. My only complaint is the display lag while typing something (delay between actual typing and it showing up on screen)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 12:51 PM
    KYBD still wonky. Plus, in my case in which my left convenience key is set to the virtual KYBD, it is unactivated by this app. Integration with Storm is poor. Better visual experience that stock RIM Browser.

Doctor Neutron
    01-13-09 01:13 PM
    Sorry I cant figure out how to download the Opera browser on the storm. When I go to the site on my phone it wont download, when I filled out the SMS text nothing ever came. When I try to download on my pc to move over it doesnt have the storm as an option. Help?
    01-13-09 02:45 PM
    Sorry I cant figure out how to download the Opera browser on the storm. When I go to the site on my phone it wont download, when I filled out the SMS text nothing ever came. When I try to download on my pc to move over it doesnt have the storm as an option. Help?

Opera Mini | The most popular mobile phone browser in the world
    01-13-09 03:18 PM
    I may be, in fact I know I am, in the minority on this one but I prefer the BlackBerry browser over Opera Mini. I find the Storm's browser is much more user friendly, and obviously since it is RIM built it takes better advantage of hardware, the browser just seems to flow into the rest of the OS. I do agree Opera Mini opens pages faster, although for me I find the speed difference marginal at best. I do also find the Opera seems to render some pages much better as well. For me, I like the default browser and haven't found any glitches that prohibit me from enjoying any webpage. I am a Mac user and love Safari. To me, these Mini vs. BlackBerry browser argument is similar to the Firefox vs. Safari argument. Both do what they're supposed to and it is really just a matter of preferences in what you put your browser through as to which one is best for you. I must say, I'm not heavy on my internet usage, mostly crackberry, espn, and a few other sites I frequent. I think Opera Mini is a better fit for power users.
    01-13-09 04:37 PM
    On the Storm I find the speed difference very noticeable. Sometimes I'll feel like I'm waiting for an eternity with Blackberry browser.

The biggest reason I prefer Opera mini is it renders pages much more accurately. I've brought up pages that are hosed in the Blackberry browser but render great in Opera mini. A good example would be on Metacritic.com.
    In the Blackberry browser, the rating numbers are not positioned next the reviews. There's a significant vertical disparity, which makes it hard to know which review number is for which review. Opera mini does not have this issue.

I don't even have a chance of visiting my online banking with the Blackberry browser, because they layout is so messed up. Again, it works fine in Opera mini.

All that being said, I do like some of the Blackberry browser features very much. The easy zooming and the pointer option are great tools, and I wish they would implement them in Opera mini.

Of course, it's important to realize that Opera mini isn't written for the Storm at this point in time, which is why there are some quirky usage issues with it.
    01-14-09 07:30 AM
    i have been using the opera browser v the bb browser since i first got the storm and it always was faster. Just installed 0.86 yesterday and wow, opera is so much quicker i used to think my internet was just as fast as my wireless network at home, now i think it is even quicker, it loads almost instantly. Now when they actually make the storm version, im sure it would be even better, You can make the left convenience key a shortcut for the virtual keyboard, voila problem solved
    01-14-09 11:32 PM
    i have it set on medium, if i set it on low it would be even faster.
    01-14-09 11:33 PM
    I don't have any problems using the BB browser but I find myself using opera mini more often. It is a lot faster but there are some sites that I can't get to click on certain lines and have to switch to the BB browser to access them.
    01-14-09 11:52 PM
    i have a question for all of you opera users on the storm. How the heck do you type an address? Theres no keyboard integration at all. I have the left side conveinience key set to the virtual keyboard and it doesnt work in opera mini. I know the version we have no is not for the storm, but if you all are using it, there must be some work around?
    01-15-09 01:04 AM
    i tried to use opera but because its not for the storm. I wasn't very satisfied, and I'm a pro opera person. Used it before on my WM6 devices. but until Opera mobile or mini comes up with a version for our device I will stick with the BB browser
    01-15-09 01:36 AM
    the opera mini browser is awsome! super fast, easy to use, i dont know why a handfull of you guys dont like it. i totally recommend it to anyone who has the storm.
    01-15-09 03:18 AM
    We like Opera Mini - we don't like the lack of functionality on the Storm. We know the lack of fucntionality is due to the current version not having proper support for the storm. If/when Opera updates the BB version of Opera Mini to properly support the Storm (I really wish people would stop saying "the Storm Version," since Opera generally makes OS-specific versions, not device-specific ones), I'm sure a lot of us would be happy to have it back on our devices.

On a side note, one thing I've never liked about Opera Mini is how it stops loading images if there is a memory issue with Java.
    01-15-09 07:54 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD