I've posted this before and I'll probably post it again in the future... I think it is important that people understand WHY Opera is faster and the risks that are involved. Especially when people are talking about using Opera for their banking...

Opera Mini is fast because it caches the pages you look at (on their servers) and then sends you down-sized versions of the graphics and other content. This is fine, unless you are doing something "secure" on your phone, such as your banking website, paypal, etc.
    Most people don't know that using Opera Mini on https sites does NOT give you the end-to-end encryption that you get with a normal browser.
    Read about it on the opera FAQ:
    http://www.operamini.com/help/faq/
    It doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, but you should def be aware of it.

You can also read about it in the transcripts of the SecurityNow podcast here: Security Now! Transcript of Episode #126
    01-15-09 07:46 AM
    i have a question for all of you opera users on the storm. How the heck do you type an address? Theres no keyboard integration at all. I have the left side conveinience key set to the virtual keyboard and it doesnt work in opera mini. I know the version we have no is not for the storm, but if you all are using it, there must be some work around?
    Hit the BB menu key and scroll down to the bottom - the show keyboard option will bring up the keyboard.

Quite like Opera - saw it running on the N95, downloaded it for mine and never looked back. On the Storm, though, it may be faster (useful for this site), but trying to download anything is pointless. If nothing else, Opera proves to me that I made the right choice in touchscreen phone - selecting things without wanting to is a right pain the rear! Thanks for the click through RIM - saves the BlackBerry from going through a window!
    01-15-09 08:44 AM
    Not a Storm version yet?
    01-15-09 09:17 AM
    I tried using Opera yesterday and can't seem to be able to type in numbers. Is there a way around this?
    01-15-09 12:06 PM
    Hopefully they will develop a venison for the Storm soon tho.
    What's the "venison" for the Storm? Isn't that a rodent?

You know... to be completely honest, I have never had a problem with the BB browser. Never needed to even try Opera on my Storm because of that. I don't know what's up with the rest of you guys but my Storm just kicks ***.

Except for a random "input error" that occurs randomly when I'm typing in BB messenger that resets the device... VERY annoying, I'll say that much. But browser wise? No complaints. I prefer BB as it's just easier to use.
    Same here...
    01-15-09 02:26 PM
    I've had a flawless phone since dec. 27th. I've just been upset by the overall lack of fluidness, and with the slow BB browser. I assumed, since everything else was good, that with time the phone would become more fluid, and the internet speeds were something inherent to the smart phone industry.

Boy was I wrong. On a whim I downloaded Opera Mini. For the first time, I'm truly, truly enjoying my phone. I'd rather surf on the phone than with my laptop. It's fantastic. There are a few limitations, but once you get used to it (took about 5 mins.) it's great! The speed is vastly improved.

Honestly, it takes all of 2 minutes to dl. I think you guys should all try it. It totally got me psyched about my phone again.
    01-22-09 12:05 AM
    After reading I went ahead and went to the site and let the phone download it....WOW, this thing makes the phone browsing idea worth while. I cannot believe how much faster this thing is, I cannot wait for them to make a storm version, it cant be long now.
    01-22-09 11:17 PM
    Bolt ftw.........
    01-22-09 11:29 PM
    storm browser owns opera browser in every way.. deleted opera.
    01-23-09 01:12 AM
    storm browser owns opera browser in every way.. deleted opera.
    Sure, if you have about 120 seconds to wait on a page to load all of the pics before it lets you do anything.

The Bolt is not available currently, so I cannot try it out...
    01-23-09 09:44 AM
    Sure, if you have about 120 seconds to wait on a page to load all of the pics before it lets you do anything.

The Bolt is not available currently, so I cannot try it out...
    Bolt is a great Browser once you have it. contains full web pages that load pretty fast. Because it's in beta right now it still has some minor glitches, but even with that being said IMOP it's the best out there.

I can do whatever I want as if I was on my own computer.
    01-23-09 02:14 PM
    any news on a new opera version for the storm?
    01-23-09 05:12 PM
    Any updates as of now? What other browsers have you all been using.
    02-19-09 05:35 PM
    When will Opera have a Storm version?
    02-19-09 05:47 PM
    idk but i cant wait. the storm browser is weak for a lot of stuff.
    02-19-09 05:59 PM
    I'm going to check out the Opera browser. I don't know why I havent downloaded it yet since i preferred it when I had the Curve
    02-19-09 06:04 PM
    On Bolt I don't like how hard it is to stop a page from loading and go back instead. It is much easier and less glitchy in Opera. That's why I don't use bolt. Need to cancel incorrect url clicks often since it is touch only, and it is a hassle to do with bolt. Just hit escape in opera for instant stop/back. The speed of panning around is best in opera, and it is the only browser where the scrollbars work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by rednukleus; 02-19-09 at 11:03 PM.
    02-19-09 10:57 PM
    Opera loads fast, but has 2 problems that I've heard other people state, and which I can relate to:

1 - I'd prefer the keyboard to open immediately when I click in a text field, rather than having to hit the BB button and then select it from the menu.
    2 - You can't type numbers. This is a serious pain in the north-end-of-a-burro-that's-headed-south!

Hopefully a Storm version will come out soon.

I installed Bolt and will try that browser for a while. I don't like the idea of having to select magnification from a menu though. Otherwise, pages load very fast. I'm also not too crazy about the sensitive single tap/touch on links. It's just too easy to hit the wrong link when there are many links on a screen.

I'd like to see a hybrid version of all 3 of these browsers. RIM needs to learn how to load pages faster. That's the bottom line.
    Last edited by bgunckel; 02-22-09 at 07:09 AM.
    02-21-09 09:03 AM
    opera kills the bb broswer
    02-21-09 09:14 AM
    Opera loads fast, but has 2 problems that I've heard other people state, and which I can relate to:

1 - I'd prefer the keyboard to open immediately when I click in a text field, rather than having to hit the BB button and then select it from the menu.
    2 - You can't type numbers. This is a serious pain in the north-end-of-a-burro-that's-headed-south!
    If you turn off auto-complete in Opera, the keyboard will open up automatically.

The numbers started working for me but I am not sure if it was due to turning off auto complete or the OS update.
    02-21-09 09:18 AM
    I love Opera's sheer speed, but its lack of proper support for the Storm (as mentioned by previous posters) really gets to me. The interface really needs to get click support to fit in with the UI on the rest of the phone, and automatically display the keyboard when needed.

On the Storm browser end, yes, it's slow. But, it has features that I can't do without (Column view, zooming).

Bolt has some issues that are show stoppers, but shows great promise

Overall...
    Opera-
    pros: Speed, rendering quality, can download files (e.g. PDFs)
    cons: lack of storm integration, poor access to page-viewing controls
    BB-
    pros: Storm integration, better page view controls (Zooming, column view), copy-paste support
    cons: no file downloading, slow at times

Bolt-
    pros: Fast, webkit-based, better Storm support than Opera
    cons: Too immature, small fonts, bad cursor paradigm

So yeah, each browser has its uses. Of the ones listed, I feel that Opera has the greatest chance of being successful on the Storm.
    02-21-09 12:06 PM
    Doesn't anyone else use the BB cursor? I think that's a huge advantage the BB browser has over Opera.
    02-21-09 12:54 PM
    O.M. is fast - but it's not made for Storm yet - a little quirky.
    02-21-09 01:21 PM
    I have and use bolt, opera mini and the stock browser all are great in there own ways.
    02-21-09 01:28 PM
    opera rules no gateway timeout
    02-21-09 01:48 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD