So I went to my Verizon store when it opened only to find out that they are only selling the Storm to new activations. Awesome.

This is what I get for being a loyal customer for over a decade? Come on. It's not like they didn't have any in the back. They flat out told me they did.

The good thing is I only have to wait until tomorrow, but that's not the point. I don't mind waiting; I just don't like the reason. Sure, everyone needs new customers these days, but you need to take care of your existing ones - especially long standing ones. If Verizon didn't have the best service I'd be with AT&T and have an iPhone. If a new customer comes into the Verizon store looking for a Storm but then finds out that they are all gone because they gave preference to their loyal customers, that new customer would see how they treat their existing customers...nicely.

I don't know, maybe I just am too anxious, but this seems a little ridiculous. Forget preference, why not just first come, first serve? It would've saved me a lot of time.

I've mostly seen people that went to their stores, but they didn't have enough. Not that they just wouldn't sell me one. Anyone else in my boat?
    11-21-08 10:46 AM
    That sucks. My store informed me that I'm not eligible for any upgrades, and promptly raked in my $500 + tax for a full retail purchase.
    11-21-08 10:51 AM
    Same boat as me except I was still within my 30 day guarantee on my Curve that I got when I switched to Verizon last month. Even still, they wouldn't sell me a Storm even though I was fourth in line and they had them in stock.
    11-21-08 10:51 AM
    Yeah, I AM eligible for a phone upgrade and they still won't do anything about it....
    11-21-08 10:53 AM
    Sorry to hear that guys, but they took this right out of the AT&T/Bold handbook. My friend had the same issue...he's been with ATT for a while and on release day they only sold Bold's to "new" customers. After going to 3 different stores the last one finally let him upgrade. It's really sad how the existing customer gets shafted. Damn corporate a-holes!!
    11-21-08 10:57 AM
    [QUOTE=Link2430;1011468]If Verizon didn't have the best service I'd be with AT&T and have an iPhone. If a new customer comes into the Verizon store looking for a Storm but then finds out that they are all gone because they gave preference to their loyal customers, that new customer would see how they treat their existing customers...nicely.
    QUOTE]

These 2 points are quite possibly the most accurate on this or any other forum.

I have been with VZW for a long time (anyone remember BAM?) and i am really amazed at how they are handling this launch. For years I watched the other carriers fight against the "most reliable network" claim. The marketing the VZW does around this claim is fantastic and it better be. The network has been good but EVERYTHING else has been lackluster.
    Other companies throw offers like rollover and free add-ons(see:VZnav,Visual VM, etc) at you constantly.

I am sure that VZW will do well, sales wise, with the Storm but i have to wonder what the long term effect will be from them letting down their loyal customer base. What will our response be if and when the next big "Storm" release comes out?
    11-21-08 11:00 AM
    I hear what they are doing and its ok but what they should have done is push back the date and increase the inventory
    11-21-08 11:00 AM
    If you add a line to your existing account do they treat that as a "new customer" or do you have to open an entirely new account?
    11-21-08 11:03 AM
    If you add a line to your existing account do they treat that as a "new customer" or do you have to open an entirely new account?
    I think they would treat you as a "new" customer because you're signing a new contract. IMO, that is what they're really after is the contract. That statement negates the "no upgrades sold today" though...

I did an upgrade through my company's business portal this morning and was able to order a Storm on the business account. Has anyone tried to upgrade through the web on a personal line?
    11-21-08 11:07 AM
    So I went to my Verizon store when it opened only to find out that they are only selling the Storm to new activations. Awesome.

This is what I get for being a loyal customer for over a decade? Come on. It's not like they didn't have any in the back. They flat out told me they did.

The good thing is I only have to wait until tomorrow, but that's not the point. I don't mind waiting; I just don't like the reason. Sure, everyone needs new customers these days, but you need to take care of your existing ones - especially long standing ones. If Verizon didn't have the best service I'd be with AT&T and have an iPhone. If a new customer comes into the Verizon store looking for a Storm but then finds out that they are all gone because they gave preference to their loyal customers, that new customer would see how they treat their existing customers...nicely.

I don't know, maybe I just am too anxious, but this seems a little ridiculous. Forget preference, why not just first come, first serve? It would've saved me a lot of time.

I've mostly seen people that went to their stores, but they didn't have enough. Not that they just wouldn't sell me one. Anyone else in my boat?
    I noticed that at my store a few hours ago.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/my-...rebates-98795/
    11-21-08 11:08 AM
    I was at Costco and they said they have the storm today also. might try them. i don't know if it's only new activation with them but i wouldn't think so.
    11-21-08 11:10 AM
    Wow considering that they have been having all these problems, think I have a chance to go in this afternoon and purchase one on a new activation?
    11-21-08 11:13 AM
    This makes me curious. Someone on here , last night i believe, who seemed to possibly be a verizon tech said this was not allowed and to call customer service at once if it happened. I apologize for not knowing this member's name. If i can find the thread it was in i will come back and reference it. I called CS last night just to make sure and she said it was first come first serve regardless of whether you are upgrading or you're a new activation. The store i went to had ALOT of upgrade customers, including myself.
    11-21-08 11:19 AM
    This makes me curious. Someone on here , last night i believe, who seemed to possibly be a verizon tech said this was not allowed and to call customer service at once if it happened. I apologize for not knowing this member's name. If i can find the thread it was in i will come back and reference it. I called CS last night just to make sure and she said it was first come first serve regardless of whether you are upgrading or you're a new activation. The store i went to had ALOT of upgrade customers, including myself.
    Yeah, I remember seeing that as well. And when my wife went in this morning and they gave her a hard time for trading her Curve back in and a hard time to buy one for me since I am in Italy, I immediately called the corporate office and it got handled and she walked out with two Storms and will be flying over with mine in the next 20 hours
    11-21-08 11:30 AM
    They **TRIED** that ish at my store, but at the looks of it, riots, were gonna ensue, so they backtracked really fast.
    11-21-08 11:45 AM
    wow I feel really bad for all of you that are having this problem. from the sound of it it must be at a store level because the one I walked into sold them to who ever was on line. If I were having this problem I would call customer service in the store and tell them what is happening and demand they fix it
    11-21-08 11:56 AM
    THey did the same in the New Hampshire stores. I was there promptly at 7am this morning. The store was not letting anyone in, and they were handing out numbered cards and had everyone wait to be called one at a time.
    The man in fron of me was number 7, I would have been 8... I was stoked.
    However, to my dismay, they were only seeling to new activations. I am under my 30 day on my Curve until the 25th. I was told that they will call me when they are ready to move forward from selling to only new activations. I expressed my concern over the 30 day dealine looming, and the manager of the store handed me his card and noted my account that they will honor an extention if it goeas past that.
    All great, however, I talked to another store in NH ( who is now out of stock) that they were selling to anyone and not just new activations. Each store apparently did thier own rules.
    Bad Bad job Verizon.
    11-21-08 12:11 PM
    ^call customer care the stores will be in big trouble it's against company policy!!
    11-21-08 12:16 PM
    THey did the same in the New Hampshire stores. I was there promptly at 7am this morning. The store was not letting anyone in, and they were handing out numbered cards and had everyone wait to be called one at a time.
    The man in fron of me was number 7, I would have been 8... I was stoked.
    However, to my dismay, they were only seeling to new activations. I am under my 30 day on my Curve until the 25th. I was told that they will call me when they are ready to move forward from selling to only new activations. I expressed my concern over the 30 day dealine looming, and the manager of the store handed me his card and noted my account that they will honor an extention if it goeas past that.
    All great, however, I talked to another store in NH ( who is now out of stock) that they were selling to anyone and not just new activations. Each store apparently did thier own rules.
    Bad Bad job Verizon.
    Check this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/30-...ip-only-98984/

My store pulled the same crap on me and now CS is telling me the store was wrong but so far has not come up with a workable solution.
    11-21-08 12:21 PM
    On monday I switched to verizon- and got a crappy LG Voyager to hold me over till today.

They let me exchange it to the Storm today.

You Better Believe I would Flip a "Female Dog" if they would deny me the Storm.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 11-21-08 at 12:45 PM.
    11-21-08 12:25 PM
    This is going to be long, but let me tell you what happened to me. Ok, so I, like the rest of the world, was trying to get the phone online. THe servers were constantly down, so I figured what the heck, let me go to the store. I told them I had a phone eligible for an upgrade. They told me they were sold out.

I tell the sales rep that I know the deal with the new line only, so I went on to tell him that I was willing to add a new line to my account (when I got home I would cancel the old line). He got all exited and ran to the back. He came back and asked me for my number. He said that they were still sold out and that he would call me to order the phone at night when the computers came back online.

I went home a sulked around empty handed. About two hours go by and the rep calls me saying that the computers were back online. He asked me to come down to order the phone to have it shipped. I said the only way I would go down to the store was if I were going to walk out with the phone that night. He gave me a song and dance then said if I promised to activate a new line on my account, maybe one could mysteriously appear.

Another hour goes by and he calls and tells me to come to the store. I get the phone with the new line. When I get home, I call CS to cancel the old line and she asked why. I explained to her what happened and she FLIPPED A SCRIPT! She said the stores are not allowed to do that. It should be first come first serve. Long story a lil longer... she cancelled the added line, ported my phone over and hooked it up for me.
    11-22-08 08:51 PM
    Wow thats crazy..i thought it was first come first serve. im in cali and the store i went to sold them to whomever was in line..new customer or existing customer.
    11-22-08 08:55 PM
    That's very strange that you can't upgrade to the Storm, I work for bell mobility and I know for a fact that you can upgrade to the Storm here, however there is no Bell in the U.S. I'm just in awe to see the limitations of some phone companies, and as of right now if you sign on to a new 3 year contract you can get the Storm at $199.99 CND, originally $249.99...
    03-07-09 10:03 AM
    i dunno i had no problems i was up for my upgrade went in and got 2 storms no problem
    03-07-09 10:14 AM
    You guys realize this thread was dead for about 3.5 months right? And that this was a launch day issue and it's far past that now?
    03-07-09 10:21 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD