Was dragging a heavy umbrella in the backyard and stepped right into the swimming pool. Jumped out and 30 seconds later remembered my Storm in my pocket. Pulled it out frantically and screen lit up fine before I pulled the battery. Spent a half hour vacuuming everything, another 3 hours buried in a bowl of dry rice, popped in battery and is good as new.
    05-21-09 10:53 PM
    U found the fix for dust underscreen! Just jump in a pool. (just a joke people don't actually do it)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 10:57 PM
    It sounds like you were lucky, because most people who send their phone swimming, need more than 3 hours in the rice to fix it.

Happy it turned out well for you
    05-22-09 12:05 AM
    I'd go buy a lotto ticket if I were you.

Seriously though, at least your phone is okay. I once fell in a pool (another time a jacuzzi too) with my cell phone in my pocket. I was right by the steps so I was out in no time. My phone was long dead.
    05-22-09 12:07 AM
    What this with dry rice?
    05-22-09 12:12 AM
    What this with dry rice?
    The rice just absorbs all of the excess water
    05-22-09 12:19 AM
    I'd go buy a lotto ticket if I were you.

Seriously though, at least your phone is okay. I once fell in a pool (another time a jacuzzi too) with my cell phone in my pocket. I was right by the steps so I was out in no time. My phone was long dead.
    Wasn't a BB but an older LG phone but I once ran it through the washing machine. The battery was toast, but after the phone dried out slapped a new battery in and it worked just fine. Never bought anything but LG's after that until I got my Storm.
    05-22-09 01:19 AM
    yea lg hpones despite ppl saying they suck are very good ive had alot of those and they never broke down or got messed up w water and skateboarding....but i dont think im gonna risk it w my storm this phone is pretty kool i wanna keep it in good shape
    05-22-09 01:39 AM
    You should go get a lotto ticket you never know. I have washed phones before and never any luck.
    05-22-09 01:42 AM
    U found the fix for dust underscreen! Just jump in a pool. (just a joke people don't actually do it)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    At this point I will try anything.
    05-22-09 01:54 AM
    i had a phone that got soak in a full bottle of soda that had fell over on the table. And when i had try to start it nothing would start at all..so i had let it dry for about 12hrs or more by a fan all night and in the morning it was working like it was brand new.. but the screen was really mess up.. you can see where the soda soaked up all in the screen but after some weeks it went away
    05-22-09 02:11 AM
    i had a phone that got soak in a full bottle of soda that had fell over on the table. And when i had try to start it nothing would start at all..so i had let it dry for about 12hrs or more by a fan all night and in the morning it was working like it was brand new.. but the screen was really mess up.. you can see where the soda soaked up all in the screen but after some weeks it went away
    I'm sure that phone would've had major issues down the road. Sugar + electronics = not good at all. The sugar from the soda would eventually eat away at it unless you soaked the phone in rubbing alcohol or something.
    05-22-09 02:13 AM
    LG makes the toughest phones ever. I had an old VX6100...got run over by 2 Semi trucks, droped in water, used in rain, and even frozen once...(drunken night, no clue how it happened really....) and it worked up till i replaced it because the plastic casing on it was almost gone...IE, i could see all the innards, and play with them if i wanted to...but it never missed a beat!!
    05-22-09 07:00 AM
    You should go get a lotto ticket you never know. I have washed phones before and never any luck.
    LOL...SAME HEAR
    05-22-09 07:12 AM
    whahahhahahaaa... :}

good idea on that disclaimer there :}
    05-22-09 08:05 AM
    It is great that it worked....so far.

Bad new is that if the pool had chlorine in it, your problems have just not become noticeable. The chlorine is a corrosive material that is now in the device and on every electrical component of the hardware the longer it is there the greater the chance for hardware issues will become.

Question is, could someone that has this problem rinse the device with distilled water and then dry in rice to get the chlorine out???
    05-22-09 08:15 AM
    It is great that it worked....so far.

Bad new is that if the pool had chlorine in it, your problems have just not become noticeable. The chlorine is a corrosive material that is now in the device and on every electrical component of the hardware the longer it is there the greater the chance for hardware issues will become.

Question is, could someone that has this problem rinse the device with distilled water and then dry in rice to get the chlorine out???
    You might have better luck (although I am not a chemist) using a can of electronic board cleaner. This stuff is designed to clean off circuit boards without leaving residue or damaging any sensitive components. Look for the CRC brand "QD Electronic Cleaner" for the good stuff.
    05-22-09 08:51 AM
    I've been through this before when I was in a previous career (as a two-way radio technician).

Short answer, yes, you can clean out the corrosive agent (whether it's chlorine, soda (really bad!), coffee, etc), but the only way to really do it right, and hope for a reliable fix, is to fully disassemble the unit and clean off the boards with something like circuit cleaner or isopropyl alcohol. You'll also need to actually do some scrubbing on the board to really get it all out...old toothbrush (or your wife's), acid brush, etc.

Of course, there's fine line between "vigorous cleaning" and "putting enough pressure on the wrong component to break something".

But yeah, as others have said, "working now" and "will continue to work" are two different things. If you've still got some warranty, or Asurion coverage, I'd find some reason to "need a replacement" while it's still functioning. There's a better than average chance you're going to have problems down the road.
    05-22-09 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD