Well. This is my first post on here. I did some searching on here first and came up with tons of hits. Went through a few but couldn't find my answer. It might be on another forum on here.

Ok, I got a replacement storm and wanted to know if I backup my old one using DM and used the switch device wizard. Will it transfer all my email settings also? If so, how can I make sure I do this correctly? I tried doing that from my Pearl to the Storm when I first got my Storm and it didn't work. So either I did something wrong or it can't be done.

BTW...this site is awesome!!

Thanks,
    Tony
    12-15-08 10:12 AM
    Do exactly what I tell you here, to save yourself the hassle of having to call VZW customer service.

Step one is to go on your old Storm and go into Email Setup and hit Menu/Create User ID. You have to do this in order to be able to use the https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw webpage to manage your BIS email accounts you setup on the old Storm. By default, when you run the email setup app on the Storm or any VZW Blackberry for that matter, you're not prompted to setup a userid and password for management and because of this, when you port to another BB device, it's impossible to transfer the settings to the new PIN/IMEI.

Anyway, once you've setup the userid, just do a device transfer or a manual backup/restore from old Storm to new. Then go into the site above and enter your user id and password you setup and go to Change Device on the left hand side once you're logged in. Put in the new PIN/IMEI and it'll push the email account service books to your new Storm. Good luck.
    12-15-08 10:33 AM
    When you say "transfer all my email settings" are you trying to get your emails to forward to the new device. If so you will need to log into the BIS and change the MEID/PIN combination and send service books. This will allow new incoming mail to come to the new device. If you backed up your previous device including your messages, you should be able to restore that information to your new device.
    12-15-08 10:33 AM
    What I mean by email settings. The accounts I created on my current blackberry. One for Yahoo and one for my work email. In the email setup. Also the first post was very informative. Thanks!
    12-15-08 10:57 AM
    i just backedup my old phone on dm and then restored that onto the new phone and it auto did the email settings...they took about 5 minutes to kick in, but it went right back to normal.
    12-15-08 10:57 AM
    i just backedup my old phone on dm and then restored that onto the new phone and it auto did the email settings...they took about 5 minutes to kick in, but it went right back to normal.

When I did that from my Pearl to my Storm it didn't work. What I mean is that it transfered the email icons over. But if I went into email settings. There was nothing there.
    12-15-08 11:00 AM
    Step one is to go on your old Storm and go into Email Setup and hit Menu/Create User ID. You have to do this in order to be able to use the webpage to manage your BIS email accounts you setup on the old Storm.
    BTW. I'm pretty sure I already did this a while back because I am able to log into that website and I see my email accounts etc.. So from what you're saying is all I have to do once I have my new one in hand and everthing transfered over, is to go there and click on change device, correct?
    12-15-08 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD